Using low-range gears is obviously a mystery to many people

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Using low-range gears is obviously a mystery to many peo

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Oct 2016, 10:41 am

Lorgar wrote:I've heard more than a few people who are adamant you can't go higher than 1st or 2nd gear while in low-range, as some catastrophic failure will surely occur if you do

What? So I've been doing it wrong all this time? I must have missed the explosion...

Seriously, though, flogging it through everything and then having to constantly winch yourself out of things that could easily have been craeled through... Well, that's not 4wding, but that seems to be all the videos these days.

As for auto v man, gimme man every day of the week, at least off road. I can see the hills, dunes, inclines and such so I want to be the one choosing when to change gears and controlling the power.

Granted, though, autos have come a long way, but I still like the control of a manual
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by franc » 11 Oct 2016, 1:27 pm

happyhunter wrote:Well before kids get there drivers license the best we you can do for them is get them behind the wheel off road and teach them how to safely stall and recover of really steep inclines/declines, and how to snatch and winch.

Watching half the cowboys snatch a bogged truck makes me cringe.

Strap over the tow ball as often as not, foot to the floor, just bounce back and forth as fast as they can until it comes out.

All just waiting for the day that 'comes out' changes to 'kills someone' with a flying tow ball.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by puffnstuff » 25 Nov 2016, 1:42 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:What? So I've been doing it wrong all this time? I must have missed the explosion...

Check your driveway, maybe your transfer case has been laying out there for the past few months and you never noticed you were parking on top of it :lol:
puffnstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Tomek » 25 Nov 2016, 3:20 pm

Even my little Yaris can achieve a lot on the lowest gear. Using those gearing options should be mandatory when learning to drive. Imagine going downhill for too long in normal gear!
Tomek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel