Windscreen damage

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Windscreen damage

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Oct 2016, 8:03 pm

Believe it or not, I've never had a busted windscreen or stone chipped one in my life.
The other day I copped three lumps of gravel from a truck, that resulted in having to be repaired.
I got one of those professional guys to do the job.

I'm not all that chuffed over the end result, cos you can still see where the craters were.
And worse still, when driving into the sun, I can still see the crater with all the little crinkly bits in it. Like as if it hadnt been repaired.

What are other peoples experiences / opinions ?

Should you still be able to see the damaged area after the repair ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Windscreen damage

Post by AusTac » 05 Oct 2016, 8:06 pm

Yeah you can usually still see it, they usually just inject a sealant under pressure to penetrate/stabilize the cracking which in theory should prevent it from getting worse but its really 50/50
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 05 Oct 2016, 8:11 pm

with the comprehensive, if you tick the windscreen damage option, you get a 'free' windscreen repair per year...

I recently had wifeys screen replaced by O'briens and cost nix (normal cost $300 to $400)

For the additional cost on the premium I wouldnt bother with repairing the screen.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2016, 8:31 pm

Dont know what u drive, and where u live will effect it but often you can get a replacement for about 50% of a co like OBriens or racv. Shop around.

Those types of repairs are only ok for minor chips. Yes you can often see the repair.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 05 Oct 2016, 8:52 pm

Depending where the damage is they may refuse to repair it, drivers direct line of site is one I've been told a few times or close too the edge can be an issue.. I always tick the free windscreen box, If that's been used up and they refuse then they will sometimes bend the rules for a six pack provided its not too serious.. :D

I just wish when some scum bag breaks into your car they would be kind enough to do it through the front windscreen, the other glass can be really expensive. :roll:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2016, 9:06 pm

darwindingo wrote:Depending where the damage is they may refuse to repair it, drivers direct line of site is one I've been told a few times or close too the edge can be an issue.. I always tick the free windscreen box, If that's been used up and they refuse then they will sometimes bend the rules for a six pack provided its not too serious.. :D

I just wish when some scum bag breaks into your car they would be kind enough to do it through the front windscreen, the other glass can be really expensive. :roll:

Ive had that. Door glass is twice the cost of a windscreen.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 05 Oct 2016, 9:14 pm

Always found aless its something small you can get them to repair it, but creates or bigger cracks might as well get a new windscreen for $200.
If you have cover of windows on your insurance its even better.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 05 Oct 2016, 9:17 pm

As Darwindingo said above, if the chip / crack is in the direct line of sight of the driver they won't repair it unless smaller then a 10c coin from memory. I got a chip in the Commodore a month after I bought it so I took it to O'Brien's. Because it was a fraction bigger then a 10c coin it had to be replaced but here's the fine print, none of these after market companies will use genuine glass unless you specifically ask for it. Many replacement screens are less then perfect fit, not always the same thickness or level of tint, work with the GPS / Radio antennas etc etc so be aware. I booked the car in for it's first service and said I needed the windscreen replaced, the dealer ordered the factory part, their glass guy fitted it to perfection but I had to pay from memory $480. Went online to my insurance company, lodged a claim cause free windscreen replacement was part of the policy and had the $480 in the bank within a couple days. Make sure that when ticking the replacement windscreen box that there's no fine print allowing them to use aftermarket glass, ensure that part of the policy covers genuine parts.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 05 Oct 2016, 9:44 pm

I had it on two vehicles OB, about five times in about twelve weeks a while ago until I slept outside for a bit and caught the offender and explained how much of an inconvenience it was.. :friends:

Unfortunately he slipped and his head broke the windshield but that was OK as I had windscreen cover :D... As I dont like to waste precious police resources and didn't want to see him get in trouble, they weren't called.:thumbsup: He dropped his license ;) but hasn't come back for it and I don't like to bother people at home so I'll just look after it until he does.. :thumbsup:

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Oct 2016, 10:56 pm

darwindingo wrote:I had it on two vehicles OB, about five times in about twelve weeks a while ago until I slept outside for a bit and caught the offender and explained how much of an inconvenience it was.. :friends:

Unfortunately he slipped and his head broke the windshield but that was OK as I had windscreen cover :D... As I dont like to waste precious police resources and didn't want to see him get in trouble, they weren't called.:thumbsup: He dropped his license ;) but hasn't come back for it and I don't like to bother people at home so I'll just look after it until he does.. :thumbsup:

Really good to see that the both of you parted on good terms, and best buddies. :sarcasm:

BRETT,,, thanks for that info.
I asked the repair guy about aftermarket screens, he echoed what you said.

Before getting the repairs done, I rang half a dozen repair services.
For the record, O'Briens quoted $88 per chip.
The guy that ended up doing the job did it for $77 for the lot.

Yep, I will include windscreen insurance from now on.

OLDBLOKE,,,, I had some mongrel break into one of my cars by driving a large screw driver into the door lock.

a) destroyed the lock
b) buckled the door skin
c) scraped paint off to bare metal

I wished he'd just smashed a window too.
The end cost far exceeded what it would've cost me to simply buy a replacement door window from a wreckers and fit it myself. :thumbsdown:

Thanks for all the input guys.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Oct 2016, 11:11 pm

I got one replaced recently on the BT, I think it had a chip in it from a stone then I was shooting the 204 and 223 off the bonnet and it started cracking all over the joint so I made a claim with my insurance company and it got replaced free of charge as part of the policy, I don't claim on it often but glad it was an option when this happened as the windscreen looked like a road map towards the end, new cracks appearing on a daily basis.

On Windscreens, I went and bought some new wipers for the BT and VE commo and FMD aren't they bloody expensive, the ones for the BT were around $60 (ready made with the arm already attached) I could have gone the cheaper option but didn't bother but the VE apparently there is no cheap option and they cost me $84 from memory, bloody ridiculous if you ask me.

I now get in the habit of lifting the wipers up each day (overnight) so they don't get damaged by the spring/load type thing that's on them which is what causes them to fold over and become fooked quick smart.

I also use that Rain-X stuff which I find is great and will keep doing so.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 05 Oct 2016, 11:13 pm

As soon as you tick the windscreen cover box you'll never break chip or crack another :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 06 Oct 2016, 12:48 am

I've always had premium cover, no claim bonus protection, etc. Never had to claim a windscreen until recently, when I discovered they don't do free windscreens anymore, but $100 for replacements or free repairs. They changed it just before I renewed my last policy (and didn't check that part). Was not at all pleased.

Note to self: do not fire 458 off bonnet...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Mitch » 06 Oct 2016, 5:01 am

sandgroperbill wrote:I've always had premium cover, no claim bonus protection, etc. Never had to claim a windscreen until recently, when I discovered they don't do free windscreens anymore, but $100 for replacements or free repairs. They changed it just before I renewed my last policy (and didn't check that part). Was not at all pleased.

Which company? Mine still does the whole windscreen
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Oct 2016, 9:50 am

sandgroperbill wrote:I've always had premium cover, no claim bonus protection, etc. Never had to claim a windscreen until recently, when I discovered they don't do free windscreens anymore, but $100 for replacements or free repairs. They changed it just before I renewed my last policy (and didn't check that part). Was not at all pleased.

That's a bummer mate, NRMA have been good to deal with when it comes to claims (I have home/contents/car insurance with them) and have found them to be excellent to deal with, never any fuss at all and we've made a few claims in the last 4 or 5yrs and never once had any issues dealing with them, I just ring them up explain what happened and they organise it from there - I've had to claim on a Garage Door (back into the garage with a load of wood, unloaded it which caused the trailer to sit a bit higher and sure enough it caught the bottom of the garage door on the way back out totaling it, a pipe burst under the kitchen sink resulting in damage kitchen cupboards, appliances and carpet and tiles - all replaced without fuss too, numerous car accidents (not our fault) but all sorted without full and full hire car until ours was repaired, a few windscreens over the years, Cpap machine that got damaged when it fell off my side table - all in all very satisfied with the service from them hence why we stay with them (I know we can get cheaper insurance deals but no doubt there will be a catch somewhere with those companies) I'd rather pay a slightly higher premium and be confident in not having to battle with them to get something sorted :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Oct 2016, 12:05 pm

brett1868 wrote:As soon as you tick the windscreen cover box you'll never break chip or crack another :)

Truer words never said. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Oct 2016, 12:13 pm

darwindingo wrote:I had it on two vehicles OB, about five times in about twelve weeks a while ago until I slept outside for a bit and caught the offender and explained how much of an inconvenience it was.. :friends:

Gee I hope the guy is ok. Perhaps you need to check why he slipped over. Good housekeeping is important, not just at work but at home to. I hope you gave him some first aid before he left. :sarcasm:

Yep true what brett said some of the after markets are not as good as the originals. Just depends on car age/value, what you want and expect to pay. But cant import or sell them unless they meet the minimum standards.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 06 Oct 2016, 8:15 pm

The old man tells me that he gets unlimited, excess free glass on all windows including sunroof for $70 extra from his mob.. :thumbsup: I asked if that was for aftermarket glass, he said they told him that it would be replaced with whatever was in there at the time. Sounds pretty good ! Not sure if I'm allowed to say who?

And OB, I think he slipped on his own slime at the time... I didn't administer first aid as my first aid certificate had expired and didn't want to risk breaking any rules that may apply :unknown: , I sure hope he is OK though... :friends:

Important note on first aid.. If you ever encounter someone that has a severed limb, you should place it in a bag and put it on ice to increase the potential success of later reattachment... Well except if its their head as they would obviously suffocate... :!:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Oct 2016, 8:48 pm

I like my yearly free windshield from my insurance. No scratches chips or cracks.
images (3).jpg
images (3).jpg (3.78 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 06 Oct 2016, 9:03 pm

:shock: :lol:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Carter » 07 Oct 2016, 2:19 pm

brett1868 wrote:As soon as you tick the windscreen cover box you'll never break chip or crack another :)

Can't see the value of it myself for 99.99% of people

I reckon most of us go a lifetime without doing one.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel