Adventure Kings roof top tent = Darche?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Adventure Kings roof top tent = Darche?

Post by RealNick » 11 Oct 2016, 10:53 am

Can anyone confirm this?

A few contradicting words, but apparently they're the same tent, different badge, 40% less $$$$.

Anyone got/seen one? Know the answer?

Just before I drive 2 hours to 4WD Supacentre here to look at them and they turn out to be no good.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Adventure Kings roof top tent = Darche?

Post by SendIt » 12 Oct 2016, 2:21 pm

I'm interested in a roof top tent myself coming up.

For $750 for a tourer and annex they're more than a grand cheaper than a Darche, and I know their tents to be good.

Definite buy if that's the case.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 19 Oct 2016, 11:03 am

A closer look would suggest they aren't.

Canvas weight immediately leaps out; the Adventure Kings Weekender for example is 320gsm, the Darche Intrepidor 260gsm canvas.

Both models appear very similar visually, but I notice too the Darche has sides with mesh windows around the entrance which the Adventure Kings does not.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by RealNick » 26 Oct 2016, 3:54 pm

Yeah, I see.

Didn't catch the mesh bit, was only looking skin deep but I see.

Still, thicker canvas is a plus so worth checking the rest of the quality I guess.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 01 Nov 2016, 7:14 pm

I've got the Adventure Kings Big Daddy swag which is also meant to be made at the same factory Darche is made, have compared the two and they are near identical except the big daddy is slightly wider, is a little quicker to put up due to a few different design features, I found the mattress more comfortable/thicker, the loop poles and spreader bar seemed to be a better design and more robust and the carry bag is a better design with the tension straps (darche bag doesn't have them) that really help when zipping it up, also it cost a third of the price (I paid $169) so it's a no brainer.....I've checked out both brands rooftop tents in store on the same day and pretty much as I've described with my swag, the Adventure Kings are just as good if not better than Darche but much much cheaper..
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Deco » 23 Nov 2016, 2:59 pm

I've been looking at the Kings gear online too but haven't made my way to a shop to check it out.

It's time I think.
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Pythonkeeper » 30 Nov 2016, 7:08 am

Just an update on the Adventure Kings Big Daddy swag, I went for a hunt out at Dalby on the weekend and on the Sunday night we had a storm come through with strong winds and heavy rain, the storm lasted a good 20 mins and we got more rained for a couple of hours afterwards, according to the bureau 47 mills fell that night.....anyway the swag held up well and didn't get a drop of water in it so I'm even more impressed with it now than I was before...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Streamline » 30 Nov 2016, 9:39 am

Deco wrote:I've been looking at the Kings gear online too but haven't made my way to a shop to check it out.

It's time I think.

I don't own one but have seen and felt one IRL and the quality looks good :thumbsup:
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker 30-06SPR
Sako M591 .243WIN
CZ ZKM 452 .22LR
Streamline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel