Relaxed speed enforcement safer: Study

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Relaxed speed enforcement safer: Study

Post by happyhunter » 01 Nov 2016, 8:47 am

Interesting findings.
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/rela ... selhu.html

Turns out strict enforcement can give drivers tunnel vision. Specially detrimental for motorbike riders.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Re: Relaxed speed enforcement safer: Study

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Nov 2016, 8:42 pm

Try keeping within a couple of km/ph of the speed limit in a hotted up old school V8 ... forget about it, you spend more time watching the speedo than the road ahead.

I simply drive 10 under the limit everywhere unless Im in the family car that has cruise control and over speed warning.

The police seem to truly believe that " The risk of a casualty crash approximately doubles with each 5km/h increase in speed on a 60km/h speed limited road, or with each 10km/h increase in speed on 110km/h roads."
..........BULLSIHT !
I'd be dead 10 times over if that was true. I drove Bathurst style everywhere for years before I chilled out on the roads

As for SAPOL's new slogan " Towards Zero Together " what a crock of crap !
Some wasted fcuk, time wasting, money leaching, safety w@nker from BHP has obviously found itself a job with SAPOL and has cut and pasted the totally impossible, completely unrealistic, fairy tale rubbish safety goal of zero harm to sapols safety target.

Get real sapol ! When you've got vehicles traveling at 50, 60, 100, 110kph on siht roads with little or no overtaking lanes towards each other and no more than 2 meters separating them, no barriers between them, something IS going to happen.
Add to that our lack of proper driver education / training and people watching their speedometers more than the road ahead to avoid a fine of about $500 f for 10kph over.

We've now got multiple point to point speed cameras on every major highway in sa, every redlight camera is now also a speed camera, most police cars are now mobile radars, hidden cameras popping up everywhere.

The police are now the biggest and most organised self regulated mafia in the country that's writing their own laws and rules and they have almost zero time for any policing that doesn't raise revenue.

We've got a hard drug epidemic that's completely out of control and getting worse by the day AND ALL THEY WANT TO FOCUS ON IS SPEEDING (and other revenue raising rubbish) !!!!!!
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by gazza » 02 Nov 2016, 5:10 am

Police are now targeting.......................your wallet.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 02 Nov 2016, 6:25 am

gazza wrote:Police are now targeting.......................your wallet.

hahahaha..
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wade06 » 02 Nov 2016, 6:51 am

Driving in Victoria is terrible when you know a couple of kms over will get you booked... Nothing about safety all about revenue... As are the Macquarie bank camera cars that sit near overtaking lanes, traffic lights and at the bottom of hills.

The other issue with speed is how alert people are. It has been proven in trials overseas that increasing the speed limit actually makes people more alert.

The pacific highway from Brisbane to Sydney will be a shocker for fatigue accidents come 2020 when it's complete (apart from the Coffs bypass).

Personally dual carriageways should be increased 10km/hr (to 110 or 120 depending on side road spacings).
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by doc » 07 Nov 2016, 6:00 pm

I'd be interested to know how many people got booked for doing up to 10kph over the limit prior to camera's being introduced.

Small tolerances above or below the speed limit never seemed to be an issue to police. It's only when the government needed to start justifying it's position on why they were booking so many motorists for small speed infringements with camera's that this all became such a big issue.

And on a motorbike, wiping off 5kph is far more dangerous than doing 5kph over the limit. Wipe off 5 and see how quickly you get tailgated. With no protection on a motorbike, and one slip up, or having to e-brake and there's a lot of pain coming. It's far safer for a bike rider to be doing slightly more than the surrounding traffic. (Safer for your body, not so much for your hip pocket)...
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by happyhunter » 07 Nov 2016, 7:47 pm

The low tolerance for speed is revenue raising, otherwise how to explain the law allows for less percentage tolerance than is specified in the ADRs (10%) for the cars speedometer?
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by darwindingo » 07 Nov 2016, 9:16 pm

Its crazy that the ADRs are like that, they should be in alignment ! :crazy: Side note on ADRs, I used to get the old yellow canary regularly in my old EH and passengers copped a fine for no seat belts in the back even though I used to carry and present a copy of the relevant ADRs (that proved otherwise) All overturned in court, pain in the a$$ though.. As until you had it dealt with in court, It remained an offense to drive it with a canary.. :roll: Regardless of the final outcome.. :crazy:

I don't blame the Police for such things, someone has to do the devils dirty work to keep the $ rolling in.. :lol:

Not much left of the open speed limit left in the NT.. From my experience most local people usually drove appropriately to the conditions..

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 07 Nov 2016, 9:53 pm

I was driving home from Perth close to midnight last night, and found myself having to make a decision...

Set cruise control to avoid speeding fines or use my foot on the accelerator and risk creeping over.

With roos about, I feel more responsive and alert without cruise control. I shouldn't have to watch the speedo so much while I'm trying to watch for roos.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by darwindingo » 07 Nov 2016, 10:07 pm

I kinda like the cruise control personally, particularly with roos as I can have my foot in closer proximity to the brake pedal.. Just think it can reduce the reaction time in such circumstances.

Guess it comes down to personal preference ? Cruise is not so good if you are a bit tired though imo..
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by wade06 » 07 Nov 2016, 10:29 pm

Same here, my cruise is always set when roos are about (a bit slower). My foot is then right on the brake and i don't ever have to look down at the speedo.

Still remember my old man in about 1990 saying that cruise control was pointless and would never catch on :lol:
Walnut Lithgow La101 .22LR - Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42
Tikka T3 Lite .243W - Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42
wade06
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Swarm » 18 Nov 2016, 3:38 pm

happyhunter wrote:The low tolerance for speed is revenue raising, otherwise how to explain the law allows for less percentage tolerance than is specified in the ADRs (10%) for the cars speedometer?

I'm pretty sure that's not the whole deal.

I can't quote the exact numbers but I'm pretty certain it's something like margin over error 10% under OR 2 % over.

Not a flat 10% each way.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 18 Nov 2016, 6:19 pm

Swarm wrote:
happyhunter wrote:The low tolerance for speed is revenue raising, otherwise how to explain the law allows for less percentage tolerance than is specified in the ADRs (10%) for the cars speedometer?

I'm pretty sure that's not the whole deal.

I can't quote the exact numbers but I'm pretty certain it's something like margin over error 10% under OR 2 % over.

Not a flat 10% each way.

The spec is in ADR 18/03, Section 5 and 6.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel