Opinions on this 4WD roll over

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Opinions on this 4WD roll over

Post by snag » 06 Nov 2016, 10:14 pm

3 words - Too. Much. Speed.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blackened » 07 Nov 2016, 8:45 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Wasn't there a thread recently regarding people being unaware of low range?

Using low-range gears is obviously a mystery to many people
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by colsta » 14 Nov 2016, 8:13 pm

By the looks of the video A he was trying a bit to hard . B should stopped and not rolled back C used the winch on the front but i have been there and done stupid things. Peer pressure could of been part of it or he thought this will look mad on the video
On a big car like that yes you need a little momentum but not that much yes the tyre pressures look a little high but each to there own i normally ran my tyre pressures at about 15 - 20 psi when i go offroad makes it a lot easier doing climbs like that unless i'm running beadlocked rims i ran 10psi the lower the pressure the better the traction just a pain in the ass when its time to go home to pump them back up lol
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
rossi puma lever action 45
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 15 Nov 2016, 12:52 pm

colsta wrote:but i have been there and done stupid things

Asking to avoid doing more than my share :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by agentzero » 04 Dec 2016, 4:11 pm

colsta wrote:just a pain in the ass when its time to go home to pump them back up lol

Less of a pain than having to flip your truck the right way up at the end of the day :silent:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Flash » 12 Aug 2017, 5:16 pm

I know this track. It's Deep Creek #4, Walhalla Area. We've done this track a few times.

Lorgar wrote:One thing aside form that which leaps out at me, it looks to me like he's possibly running road pressures in the tyres.
Watch the tyres as he reaches the tops, bounces and settles, they hardly bulge at all when he comes down on them.
This is a screenshot where he is almost at a complete stop, and the left wheel is on a bit of pointed terrain. Look at the sidewalls, they're almost dead straight.

That section was really steep. We ran 16psi up there. Front tyres in vid have no weight on them so look higher pressure. I can tell by the tread, he has Symex tyres. People who bother to buy Symex know about pressures. That track also needed momentum, low first wasn't enough. I was in second/third (moist conditions).

For whoever said the track doesn't look overly challenging, video never shows steepness. The best way to gauge steepness is looking for how soft and bouncy the front end is. If it looks like it's bouncing on a pillow, the track is steep. The video gives a false perception.

There were a couple of things wrong. You could hear him trying to restart the engine after a stall, and he allowed the car to roll back while trying to restart it. Also, the spotter should have let him know the danger. Clearly, his back right dropped into a hole causing the roll backward.

They've blocked that particular section now. The last time we went (2016), there had been a side track cut and that section was completely blocked and you could barely see it.

Interestingly, the time previous we went while it was still open, we had to navigate around the film crew from one of the magazines who were filming.
They waste a hell of a lot of time with the crew setting up shots for filming.
We got ahead, stopped and watched them for while.
FYI, modern traction control takes a lot of the challenge out of 4WD'ing.

It's sad they demolished that section on DC#4. It was quite challenging in the wet and even in the dry, being such a loose surface, meant it was challenging.

The last time, after they'd blocked and modified, I reckon you could get through with an AWD.

Similarly Deep Creek #1. The last time we went, they'd put a grader through. The rock step at the exit was non-existent, and the off-camber climb up the hill had also been ruined.
Flash
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Aug 2017, 9:54 pm

Flash wrote:That section was really steep. We ran 16psi up there. Front tyres in vid have no weight on them so look higher pressure. I can tell by the tread, he has Symex tyres. People who bother to buy Symex know about pressures. That track also needed momentum, low first wasn't enough. I was in second/third (moist conditions).

The front tyres most certainly had weight on them when they came slamming down after the front end was off the ground. I did reference that specifically in my reply/opinion.

I've gotta say too, mate, your "people who bother to buy Symex know about pressures" comment is just nonsense.

That's like saying people who buy Ferraris are all F1 drivers. They're not. The plethora of "idiot supercar driver" videos on YouTube can attest to that.

People buy things they have no idea about, we both know this. I'm not attacking the guy in the video here, I'm saying in general.

He could have bought them because they looked tough, because he read a review, because the guy at the shop or a mate told him too, or just because he likes splashing money around and thinks having top line gadgets makes him an expert. Having good gear doesn't automatically make you informed or experienced.

Cheers :drinks:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by goldiexxxx » 20 Aug 2017, 1:06 am

I don't see speed, gear choice or tyre pressures as the cause of the roll over. Sure those could have contributed to him coming to an abrupt stop on a steep hill, or he could of had some type of breakage too. Once he was stopped though, he had all the opportunity to fix his situation by rolling out that winch, chocking the wheels etc. Instead he chose to take his foot off the brake and roll backwards tipping the vehicle over.
goldiexxxx
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Dunxy » 20 Aug 2017, 2:31 pm

Multiple things.

Tyre pressure not optimum but not a "deal breaker"!

Looks to me he started the climb in the wrong gear,possibly even high range?

Why did he have so much trouble re-starting? Seemed like an auto? If an auto a hillstart like this should be a cakewalk!No offence, but if i didn't know my 4wd started first time every time i would not be doing proper offroading with it! Yes I know not everybody can have a brand new car, doesn't matter! My last 4wd was close to 30 years old and had 430,***k+ on the dial, still started first time, every time!

Last and major failure, allowing it to roll backwards and turning the wheel.Obviously not versed in what to do in this kind of situation which makes me think hes either very inexperienced or somebody who thinks they are actually better than they are OR possibly believe their vehicle is a lot more capable than it is.
Ive tackled hills like that with road pressures while running the horrendously bad factory AT's (at least 3 times i had to use 4wd to pull of wet nature strips, no im am not joking or exaggerating,they were that bad! Even just using rear locker did not help these times,had to get out and lock hubs)that came on my cruiser from factory. I do have front and rear lockers, which without I would not have had a chance at doing anything on the stock rubber, let alone aggressive hill climbs.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 21 Aug 2017, 7:41 am

Lorgar wrote:I suppose in a military setting it's not practical to be lowering/raising tyre pressures to what's ideal for a given situation. You need a one-pressure-suits all type setup so you can tackle anything that gets thrown at you as it happens.

And if someone who wants to shoot you is possibly lurking over the next hill you're not going to have everyone pull over for 10 minutes to start dicking around with their tyres :lol:

In a recreational setting though there is nothing to lose by spending a few minutes on your tyres, it takes 5-10 minutes at the beginning and end of each trip and you've only got safety and an improved drive to be gained.

Especially if doing hills like that...

Strange the modern military vehicle's don't have the system to raise/lower the tyre pressure from the cab. I drove ww2 era dukws for a nature park up in kuranda for several years and they all have it. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Sep 2017, 8:51 am

No cure for stupidity except taking the safety warnings off everything and letting nature take it's course, going too fast in an improperly condigured vehicle.

A slight digression but still 4x4, don't ever let anyone tell you the dinky little Suzuki buzz box 4x4s aren't any good, see below.

https://youtu.be/E5Tsz_SMF5I
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Sep 2017, 9:13 am

Has a winch and doesn't use it - all the gear and no idea!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Tmb99 » 01 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

Most stuffs been mentioned but as someone who has built and driven rock crawlers I'll chuck in a few points.

Spotter! Needed eyes outside with someone who knows their s**t. The moment the car stalled it became a recovery situation, even if he started it he wasn't going to drive it out.

Reverse key start or "recovery start" are good to look into in stalled hill situations. However only works in a manual, this looked like an auto.

Hands inside the car. Scary s**t seeing passengers arm outside. Hairy hill 101, hold onto something solid inside. Amount of people that have had arms crushed in roll overs is crazy. Reason why comp trucks require window nets.
Tmb99
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jmr22 » 05 Oct 2017, 7:20 am

sandgroperbill wrote:That track didn't look overly challenging. 4L and crawl up.

His only actions and solutions were foot to the floor.

Wasn't there a thread recently regarding people being unaware of low range?

I see a lot of these videos on Youtube of people going up the cape like there going on a trip across Russia or south America with there lifted monster trucks; most of them getting there vehicles broken and bogged far more than the bloke crawling along being careful. Ive got a stock Navara and Ive never had any trouble just plodding around up hill like this. I hate working on cars so I try not to break them :lol: :lol:

All fun I suppose!

cheer.
Jacko.
.177 auto pellet gun
.22lr Marlin box
.22lr Marlin tube mag
.243 Sterling
.30-06 Argentinian
12ga Armed o/u
12ga straight pull STP
jmr22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Oct 2017, 5:57 pm

Just a retard with a 4wd and no understanding of what they are doing.

Speed fixes everything don't ya know :sarcasm:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel