Warn Magnum 10K winch

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Warn Magnum 10K winch

Post by Khan » 06 Nov 2016, 8:19 pm

Anyone familiar with the Warn Magnum 10K winch?

Good price point compared to the rest of their (I think in my opinion overpriced due to brand name) winches.

The 10k looks like it could be a no-nonsense one for the price.

What can people tell me?
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Warn Magnum 10K winch

Post by OODAH » 08 Nov 2016, 1:52 pm

Can't really go wrong with Warn if you can afford it. You can get all spare parts if you do need to do repairs. Just like anything though maintenance is key keep the grease up and the water out! Don't do big straight line pulls if your winching for awhile make sure you don't cook the motor or solenoids. I use to have Warn high mounts and lifted a full bodied patrol wagon comp car up a tree, only problem I have ever had was solenoids so I upgraded to an albright. Now I just run a cheap $350 special from 4x4 supercenter and it does the trick 2.5 years so far.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Usurper » 08 Nov 2016, 4:00 pm

OODAH wrote:Can't really go wrong with Warn if you can afford it.

I'm not having a go at Warn here specifically, but I can't understand the prices a lot of companies are getting away with for winches.

(Maybe I am having a go at Warn actually :lol:)

The Warn Tabor 10k (10,000 lbs) is about $1,100 and is pretty popular.

The one they seem to push as their flagship these days is the 9.5XP (9,500 lbs), which is $2,700 :shock: (Only anecdotal but this seems to be their most popular winch too?)

Just on two and a half times the price. For what?

The 9.5XP has a more powerful motor but is geared at 156:1... so it's a bit faster, but rated to pull 500lbs less than the 10k. (Personally I'll take control over speed anyway).

It's not 2.5x the speed, doesn't pull 2.5x the weight, has the same warranty. They don't rate any of their stuff for water submersion so nothing there.

What the hell is the extra cash for?

There's not that much to a winch... a small electric motor run through a 200:1 odd ratio gear, and a few bits like the solenoid, housing etc. It's not the space shuttle.

Not saying buy the cheapest thing you can possibly find, but I'm very sceptical you need to spend that kind of money to get a decent winch.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 09 Nov 2016, 8:44 am

Like I said my $350 special from 4x4 supercenter has done the trick for 2.5 years so far and it's done some fairly serious pulls.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 09 Nov 2016, 1:15 pm

OODAH wrote:Don't do big straight line pulls

By "big" you mean heavy loads or long pull time?
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Usurper » 09 Nov 2016, 1:17 pm

OODAH wrote:Like I said my $350 special from 4x4 supercenter has done the trick for 2.5 years so far and it's done some fairly serious pulls.

Yeah mate, just talking about the point in general after you mentioned it.
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Usurper » 09 Nov 2016, 1:18 pm

By the way.... Which winch are you talking about Oodah?

The Domin8r 12,000LB?
.308 CZ 550 American
.222 Tikka Varmint
.357 Mag Marlin 1894
Usurper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 09 Nov 2016, 2:46 pm

Sender wrote:
OODAH wrote:Don't do big straight line pulls

By "big" you mean heavy loads or long pull time?

(1) Long pull time, they get hot! Solenoids, motors, leads. Let it cool down before you burn it out or destroy your battery.
(2) If your a little more then just stuck in the mud, get a snatch block and double it. 2:1 doubles your effective winch pulling power.

Usurper wrote:By the way.... Which winch are you talking about Oodah?

The Domin8r 12,000LB?

Yeah one of those.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 09 Nov 2016, 8:50 pm

Don't forget to consider what the rating is for whatever its mounted to. Clearly a winch that's rated higher could break things if its loaded up beyond the rated mounting systems capability.

Just mentioning it for anyone that may not have otherwise considered such things..

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by OODAH » 10 Nov 2016, 7:28 am

darwindingo wrote:Don't forget to consider what the rating is for whatever its mounted to. Clearly a winch that's rated higher could break things if its loaded up beyond the rated mounting systems capability.

Just mentioning it for anyone that may not have otherwise considered such things..

Yep have seen that before :crazy:
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Nov 2016, 8:49 pm

Quite some years back now (can't be bothered to dig out precise year) I was looking to buy a winch.
Did a lot of research at the time, and long story short,,,, I purchased a new 9,500 lb "Superwinch"

Amercican made and some of the relevant things I found were,,

* At the time Warne winches had a bit of a reputation for overheating easily. This was probably mainly due (in my opinion) to the common practice of mounting them into bullbars all tucked away, and not getting a lot of free air movement to aid in cooling. That added to poor operator knowledge etc didn't help either.

* Just prior to me looking at buying, Warne was the accepted or recommended winch used by Toyota.

* When I got to seriously wanting a winch, I discovered that Toyota had dumped Warne, and were installing "Superwinch" in preference.

I did some homework on them (Superwinch) and found that surprisingly the stall load of the 9,500 lb model actually exceeded their 10,000 lb model.

As previously mentioned, I purchased the 9,500 lb er and still have it to this day, and it's in good working order.
I have had it on three different vehicles, and it's never let me down.

The main thing I did do, was made my own mounting system for it on 2 out of 3 vehicles, and made sure that it had plenty of airflow around it.

Currently it's mounted on the rear end of my Nissan Patrol ute, and being under the tray it is well protected from sun and rain.

I would recommend this brand without hesitation. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 11 Nov 2016, 9:37 am

When looking for a bar and winch for the Ranger I was swamped with all the various options and choices. I ended up buying a ARB "package" that included the bar and winch + all the bits and pieces to bolt it up. I chose this particular model Warn winch as it's not made in china like most of the models below it are. It's the mid spec of the range with wire rope as it'll possibly never be used apart from the odd wind out-wind in to exercise the internals. As an added feature it came with the wireless remote kit so it can be run from the cab, a big help as I'm alone most of the time up bush. Bull bar is the ARB Commercial steel model in black that's predrilled for lights and dual antenna bases. Cost $4000 for parts (mates rates) and $750 for fitting which isn't too bad and managed to save a few dollars towards the lights. Next up will be springs / shocks then wheels and tyres once I wear the current ones out.
I'm a very casual off road user and the winch is more for a "just in case" reason rather then something to be heavily reliant on. It'll probably get most of its use dragging logs out to chop up for firewood then actually what it's meant for.

IMG_2755.JPG
IMG_2755.JPG (177.95 KiB) Viewed 8076 times

IMG_2756.JPG
IMG_2756.JPG (214.07 KiB) Viewed 8076 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Nov 2016, 1:27 pm

Brett,
I hope you also included a suitable isolation switch in a secured area.

Most vehicles don't like it when some little vandal gets the cable and wraps it under, out the back, up over the top, and back down to the bullbar,,,, and then with some wire in the port, sets the the winch in motion. :o :shock: :wtf: :wtf: :thumbsdown:

However, a winch is also great for straining the odd fence or two. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 11 Nov 2016, 3:35 pm

I've got one of those plastic key type switches under the bonnet next to the battery and the keys in the glove box with the controller. My big issue at the moment is a loose .204 Ruger case rattling around the vent plumbing. I was driving along the fence Sunday morning and spotted a giant bunny with just the back of its head above the crop. I wound down the passenger side window and shot the bugger, a big mistake was not putting ear plugs in first. After dropping him another 15-20 heads popped up, I cycled the action rather quickly, the empty hit the windscreen before disappearing down the demister ducting never to be seen again. Didn't get a second shot as the buggers scampered over a contour bank and into the long grass where I couldn't get a clean shot. That friggen case hasn't stopped rattling since, it'll be a mission and a half to locate and extract it. If it wasn't only 6 months old I'd give serious thought about trading it in....
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Nov 2016, 7:44 pm

brett1868 wrote: My big issue at the moment is a loose .204 Ruger case rattling around the vent plumbing. That friggen case hasn't stopped rattling since, it'll be a mission and a half to locate and extract it. If it wasn't only 6 months old I'd give serious thought about trading it in....

Most of those ducts/vent hoses are easily removed.
The headache is in undoing/moving everything else to be able to get to the vent tube/hose/duct.

If all else fails, try dribbling a bit of suitable (runny) adhesive down the vent, and if the case is sitting where the adhesive pools,,,, BINGO.

Don't do what an old mate of mine did with his Kingswood.
He had a rattle in the door that he couldn't find no matter how many times he pulled the door panel off.
In the end, in desperation he put the panel back on, and squirted 2 cans of space invader in.
Trouble is he didn't think of the window mechanism, and he couldn't wind his window down anymore,,,,,, :lol: :lol: :thumbsdown:

Once that stuff is set, its damn near impossible to get out.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 11 Nov 2016, 9:16 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Brett,
I hope you also included a suitable isolation switch in a secured area.

Most vehicles don't like it when some little vandal gets the cable and wraps it under, out the back, up over the top, and back down to the bullbar,,,, and then with some wire in the port, sets the the winch in motion. :o :shock: :wtf: :wtf: :thumbsdown:

However, a winch is also great for straining the odd fence or two. :thumbsup:

Are you speaking from personal "vandal (victim)" experience ? :shock: Never even thought of that possibility, gee wiz that would seriously suck a$$.. :thumbsdown:

Great tip !

“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Nov 2016, 11:46 pm

darwindingo wrote:
Are you speaking from personal "vandal (victim)" experience ? :shock: Never even thought of that possibility, gee wiz that would seriously suck a$$.. :thumbsdown:

Great tip !

:lol: No Mate,, not from personal (as in happening to my vehicle).

But I did personally see a Pajero that had it done.
It wasn't pretty, and I often wondered how the poor bugger that owned it explained that one to the insurance company.

I guess that claim would not have been "wrapped up" all that quickly.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by OODAH » 12 Nov 2016, 8:17 am

Regardless of power you can still engage the free spool and bring it out.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 12 Nov 2016, 12:04 pm

I often wondered how the poor bugger that owned it explained that one to the insurance company

Easy explanation...."Disgruntled Ex-Wife" :D
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Nov 2016, 2:29 pm

brett1868 wrote:
I often wondered how the poor bugger that owned it explained that one to the insurance company

Easy explanation...."Disgruntled Ex-Wife" :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't know that Pajero owners would have wives.

After all, that's why the Japs wondered why sales were very poor or near non existent in one of those Sth American countries when it was first released.
Apparently "Pajero" (pronounced differently to the way we Aussies say it) actually translates to "Wanker"

The poor old Japs obviously didn't do their homework very well in the naming dept in that language.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Ariat » 14 Nov 2016, 11:16 am

OODAH wrote:Regardless of power you can still engage the free spool and bring it out.

But then at worst I guess they can only cut the rope/wire which needs to be replaced instead of really destroying anything?
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by OODAH » 14 Nov 2016, 11:42 am

Ariat wrote:
OODAH wrote:Regardless of power you can still engage the free spool and bring it out.

But then at worst I guess they can only cut the rope/wire which needs to be replaced instead of really destroying anything?

Unless you drive off with it hooked up to something :twisted:
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SendIt » 29 Nov 2016, 2:30 pm

OODAH wrote:Unless you drive off with it hooked up to something :twisted:

Doing a snatch on a telegraph pole would be quite a show :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt