One or two front recovery points for 4WD

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

One or two front recovery points for 4WD

Post by RealNick » 17 Nov 2016, 12:27 pm

I'm looking at some 4WD gear and front recovery points.

I see the points are mounted to the side of the chassis, by necessity I guess. But every brand looks like they also do them for both sides.

Some are intended to be used together with a bridging girdle, some are rated to be used solo.

If you get one that is rated to be used by itself do you think it's worth getting both sides done? When does the second one come in handy :?:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Single or double front recovery points for 4WD

Post by Lorgar » 17 Nov 2016, 12:56 pm

Having both sides definitely has it's place, sometimes a critical one.

If you're getting pulled/winched straight and flat, like out of a bit of a bog or sand it's all much the same.

If you're playing in rutts or really uneven terrain where your truck can get into some gnarly angles the direction of the pull gets important.

Hard to explain this a bit without photos or pictures... See if I make sense...

Say you've got the right side of your fourby down in a deep rutt and you're close to the point of tipping over.

If you only have a recovery point on the front-right and you pull from it you're likely to finish the job and tip the truck over.

What you want to do is pull from a front-left recovery point at a 45 degree angle to the left away from the truck, to pull the left side down as you're recovering and stop it from tipping over.

If you're expecting to use them I would get both. It's a few hundred bucks at the time and could save you a world of hurt.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: One or two front recovery points for 4WD

Post by AusTac » 17 Nov 2016, 7:44 pm

Two proper " engineered " recovery points eaither end are ideal for sure, but life doesn't always end up like that, if you run with a common vehicle, troll,lux,rangie then you'll be fine getting off the shelf points but good luck if you have anything else.

Whatever you get just be smart with rigging, try to have a little mechanical sympathy for the kit lorgar makes some good points too.

Recovery isn't always a science, it's all about necessity
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Nov 2016, 8:01 pm

I always had/have 2 recovery hooks both front and back.

Reasons being,,,
a) as previously pointed out (by Lorgar I think), it becomes very important in steep deeply rutted terrain for angle of pull etc.
b) they have negligible extra weight, so why not have them,,,, just in case.
c) if your REALLY stuck, you can then run several pulley blocks to double or triple your pulling power as well as run the cable via differing angles.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 18 Nov 2016, 4:55 am

if you have a box towbar you have a rear recovery point,just thread the eye of the snatch into the channel and replace the pin
:thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by OODAH » 18 Nov 2016, 8:01 am

The more the better.
Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid.
OODAH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Deco » 23 Nov 2016, 3:05 pm

AusTac wrote:Recovery isn't always a science, it's all about necessity

I reckon it's the science of not f***ing it up and making things worse :lol:
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal