Traction control ?????

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Traction control ?????

Post by Adlippy » 18 Nov 2016, 8:39 pm

The other day I managed to get myself bogged, did the normal thing, low range diff lock the rocking back and forward thing , nothing , got the s**ts and called for help. While my mate was winching out I noticed the traction control light was getting a workout, so should traction control be on or off when bogged? know one I have asked tell me.

Thanks
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Traction control ?????

Post by albat » 18 Nov 2016, 9:02 pm

If you engage a cross axle diff lock some modern 4x4 it disengage traction control automatically to save transmission wind up
Last edited by albat on 18 Nov 2016, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 18 Nov 2016, 9:07 pm

TC off in the mud especially if you giving it hell going back and forth
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 18 Nov 2016, 9:48 pm

Last year I had the fun of driving my 6L Calais Sports wagon on a very slippery and muddy dirt road. I did some club level rally driving in my youth so I'm no stranger to driving in slippery conditions but be stuffed if I could keep the backend where I wanted it. After an extremely slow 3km I figured out the damn traction control was counter acting my steering inputs. Once I turned the bastard off all was good and had a ball sliding the rear end around filling the guards with mud :) My big piss off with modern technology is ABS doesn't work on dirt and I'd like it to disable when 4WD is engaged.
For the best traction on dirt roads, turn off the traction control. I used to also pull the main fuse for the ABS but that's me so do this at your own risk.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 18 Nov 2016, 10:26 pm

A few variables, what vehicle are we talking?

Modern traction control like 2012 upish in a 4wd should modify its specs depending what " mode " it's in but if its old then just turn the bastard off
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Adlippy » 19 Nov 2016, 5:19 am

It's a 2016 hilux, auto, I was a little surprised when I couldn't get out by myself this is the first car I have had with all the modern fancy stuff on it still figuring it out
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 23 Nov 2016, 9:53 am

Definitely off.

Varies a little bit depending on the system but traction control basically works by cutting power or braking the wheel.

A 'normal' circumstance where you might break traction is something like taking off from a light in the rain, the car is creating more power than there is traction so the wheel spins. To counter it the car reduces the power so you get a traction and take off. Makes sense and works on the road.

The problem with doing this in the mud is you need to be constantly producing the power to crawl out of it, with traction control on every time the wheels spin it drops the power and resets you, it's working against you because it's working for the wrong situation and you'll never get out because every time you start to move it stops you.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Norton » 23 Nov 2016, 9:54 am

P.S. might be time to add a pair of maxtrax to the ute.

Once your stuck it's a bastard to get out solo without some recovery gear.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 23 Nov 2016, 2:58 pm

Adlippy wrote:The other day I managed to get myself bogged, did the normal thing, low range diff lock the rocking back and forward thing , nothing , got the s**ts and called for help. While my mate was winching out I noticed the traction control light was getting a workout, so should traction control be on or off when bogged? know one I have asked tell me.

Thanks

You called for help? Buy some recovery gear.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Adlippy » 23 Nov 2016, 10:02 pm

I was on a orchard had a mate with a tractor nearby , the recovery gear is coming but got a little side tracked and ordered two rifles instead. I went back there today for something to do for another crack this time without traction control, no problems whatsoever so will now have to remember to turn off thanks for your help
For the record the recovery effort last time cost me a 6 pack and after telling him I was going for a second attempt today the price went up to a carton which lets face is reasonable
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 23 Nov 2016, 10:31 pm

I sat in the Ranger and did a few tests, I can switch from 2WD to 4WD High on the fly in any gear but the traction control stays on. To switch into 4WD low I have to be stopped and in neutral before it locks in and the TC gets turned off automagically. Diff lock / Hill descent are still manual operations by pressing a button. The older I get the more I like pushing buttons, so much easier then getting out in the mud to lock the front hubs in.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 30 Nov 2016, 10:03 am

Ranger turns the centre diff lock on too any time you go into 4X4 too if I'm not mistaken.

And you have a manually operated rear locker, right?
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel