Exhaust O2 sensor?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Exhaust O2 sensor?

Post by AusTac » 21 Nov 2016, 6:19 pm

If its a paddock basher try it without it, being the peice of crapolla it is, i could 't see the pcm relying on the o2 sensor feedback all that much i may ran a little funny and you might get a light but worst comes to worst drill a hole tap it and bam :)

If its a fully sick street car then you may want to take it to a shop ( i dunno how handy you are with a welder mate )

Or run the zorst straight out the block :twisted:
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by AusTac » 21 Nov 2016, 6:34 pm

I always imagined you as a 79 series landcruiser man mate, haha would be a blast rallying that thing around, drill and weld is legit
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 21 Nov 2016, 6:45 pm

bentaz wrote:I have just bought a set if extractors for it and there is no place to screw in the o2 sensor thats currently in the stock manifold, do i actually need it? Sould i mount it further down the exhaust or just leave it out?

Yes you do need it or the ECU will go into fault mode.

If you purchased these extractors from a shop ask them WTF is going on why doesn't it have somewhere to put it, if not buy a nut drill a hole and weld one on.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 21 Nov 2016, 6:46 pm

bentaz wrote:She's a fully sick daily driver, home to work is basically a rally track, combo of dirt n crap bitumen back roads.
Might have to give the drill n weld a go.

Molly Taylor just won the Australian Rally championship I don't think any guys should admit to rally driving.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 21 Nov 2016, 7:07 pm

It depends on the system. Most cars run a "dual loop" system. First loop is a closed loop and is used when you first start the car. The engine will run at a set fueling . Usually a bit rich while the engine gets up to operating temp. Once up to temp it will change to 'open loop' where the o2 sensor monitors the exhaust and adjusts fuel accordingly. You may be able to simply add a resistor to the end of the o2 sensor wires that provides the correct reading and it will stay in closed loop mode and run a little bit rich. Not sure what type of resistor you would need for a mirage. Common thing done when hotting up cars and motorbikes. The closed loop mode is usually programmable (via chip flash, power commander, unichip etc) and allows a gruntier fuel/air mix to put in (usually at the expense of emissions)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 21 Nov 2016, 7:41 pm

I think supaduke has it ass about, closed loop is when it uses inputs from O2 sensor, I put a fuel injected 265 Hemi in a UC Torana over 20 years ago, just weld a nut into the collector the O2 sensor needs to be hot before it will work
Attachments
TORANA2.JPG
TORANA2.JPG (992.86 KiB) Viewed 3145 times
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 21 Nov 2016, 8:04 pm

I could have it ass about, been a little while since I've mucked around with it. Either way, that's how it works
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Nov 2016, 9:18 pm

Don't put the sensor in the bottom half of the pipe, moisture will kill it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel