An inch from killing a cyclist today

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

An inch from killing a cyclist today

Post by heeple » 04 Dec 2016, 4:15 pm

*Venting ahead*

For all the militant cyclists raging about how dangerous drivers are, I see a good amount of them who look like they're trying hard to get themselves killed in traffic. I've never come so close to having one do it under my truck as I did today though. :|

I'm approaching a 't' intersection in the left lane, and there is a footpath on the left with a cyclist on it who's travelling in the same direction.

The light is green for me to go straight or left, and the light is red for pedestrians (the cyclist in this case) to cross the road.

I come up to the corner, indicator on for a good 30+ metres before it, and start turning left. As I'm about half way around the corner and she rides dead straight onto the road without breaking stride, as if I wasn't even there. :wtf:

I was only going 30km or however fast you do for a corner, but I'm well around it now over what would be the walking area if green for her and from gutter to bullbar there is only about a foot of road, she's going at a face pace so within a split second she's in front of me.

I'm not going fast obviously but just have zero breaking distance. Anyway I hit the breaks and do a little stutter and lurch to stop, she has a 'oh s**t' realisation and tries to turn; so fast she almost falls off the bike to the left but manages to hold it. Then... after steadying the bike she just continues along down the road as if she always planned to turn. :huh:

Not just to recovery herself and turn around either, she goes on for about 400m, past several side streets before turning left again, so going left where we nearly collided must have been her intended path. So why she went out onto the road instead of continuing on the footpath in the first place I have no idea.

Looking over the bonnet, if she'd been a stationary object I was parking in front of I would have said my bullbar was touching it. I wouldn't be surprised if her handle bar touched it and that was what nearly sent her off.

I dunno how she was calm because I can tell you my heart was pumping afterwards, and I wouldn't have been the one leaving in an ambulance if it had gone that extra bit wrong.

No wave from her afterwards either, no 'I'm ok', 'sorry', 'oops', just casually cruise along the road after as if she hadn't nearly just dive underneath by 4X4.

F**k me :crazy: :huh: :x :o
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: An inch from killing a cyclist today

Post by sandgroperbill » 04 Dec 2016, 4:35 pm

That must've shaken you up a bit, mate. all OK?
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by AusTac » 04 Dec 2016, 4:42 pm

Some cyclists are just insane
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by happyhunter » 04 Dec 2016, 4:51 pm

Cops released data not long ago debunking the rebel cyclist myth. I ride a motorbike daily. I could post three or four accounts every day of how I had to avoid a car or truck doing the wrong thing. Oh yeah, what is it with truck drivers talking on mobile phones while driving? It's seems that every truck driver I pass is on the phone.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by sandgroperbill » 04 Dec 2016, 4:53 pm

My favourite bicycle safety ad...

https://youtu.be/aRxAZLV6vgU
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by tom604 » 04 Dec 2016, 6:06 pm

bike riders,,the laws don't apply to them,,,,i think that everyone would of seen a bike rider come up to a red light and just sail through it :thumbsdown: glad you didn't squish her ,,imagine the paper work :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 04 Dec 2016, 7:32 pm

Yeh there common problem, when I'm in the truck (mean big truck not ute) they ride out in front of you like crazy, like when i did my B double licence i had one go from the cyclist lane into my lane, I way 50 tonnes, 25 metres long and traveling at 60kms an hour WTF. horn scared them off pretty quick cause not so easy to stop.

Friday I had a car merge into my lane right in front of me and then brake and turn into the street, I missed them by half a metre, lucky I jumped on the brakes ASAP otherwise they would be flattened.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Dec 2016, 8:46 am

Too many MAMIL'S on the road, only a matter of time before they get Bridgestoned!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by brett1868 » 05 Dec 2016, 9:29 am

pete1 wrote:Yeh there common problem, when I'm in the truck (mean big truck not ute) they ride out in front of you like crazy, like when i did my B double licence i had one go from the cyclist lane into my lane, I way 50 tonnes, 25 metres long and traveling at 60kms an hour WTF. horn scared them off pretty quick cause not so easy to stop.

Friday I had a car merge into my lane right in front of me and then brake and turn into the street, I missed them by half a metre, lucky I jumped on the brakes ASAP otherwise they would be flattened.

Human blood hoses off just as easy as Roo guts :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by heeple » 05 Dec 2016, 2:57 pm

happyhunter wrote:Cops released data not long ago debunking the rebel cyclist myth. I ride a motorbike daily. I could post three or four accounts every day of how I had to avoid a car or truck doing the wrong thing. Oh yeah, what is it with truck drivers talking on mobile phones while driving? It's seems that every truck driver I pass is on the phone.

I'm not sharing a story I heard from a friend of a friend here, this is first hand.

I never said car drivers don't do stupid things, but to say the cyclist/bike thing is a myth is obviously straight up wrong.

Takes 2 seconds on youtube to find 1,000 dash cam videos of crazy riders. I'm sure people here have stories, I've seen plenty myself, this is just the closest one has come to doing it under the front of my truck.

Cyclists do plenty of stupid s**t, as do motorbikers, as do drivers. No one can defend a group as being the most responsible because they're part of it, some people just do stupid s**t regardless of what vehicle they're on and it no reflection of the majority of sensible people in the group like yourself.
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by heeple » 05 Dec 2016, 3:02 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:That must've shaken you up a bit, mate. all OK?

All is well that ends well I guess, I just hope she learned the lesson. A bit shaky though.

Jokes aside, there is an element of truth to what Brett said about washing the bullbar off.

If she decides to really dive under the front of the next truck she she's all they'll have is a scratched bash plate, not even an insurance excess. She'll be dead or spend the rest of her life in a wheel cheer.

She'll cause the other person some emotional turmoil but the real loser can only be her. Why would you do it to yourself :unknown:
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 05 Dec 2016, 5:42 pm

happyhunter wrote:Cops released data not long ago debunking the rebel cyclist myth. I ride a motorbike daily. I could post three or four accounts every day of how I had to avoid a car or truck doing the wrong thing. Oh yeah, what is it with truck drivers talking on mobile phones while driving? It's seems that every truck driver I pass is on the phone.

From what I've heard from out drivers it a combination of:

-The boss wondering where you are at

-the person on the other end waiting for whatever you want

-the person who f***ed it up

-The misses haha
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel