Where to install winch isolator switch, battery or control?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Where to install winch isolator switch, battery or control?

Post by Kipper » 07 Dec 2016, 2:15 pm

Where have people installed their switch?

Choices seem to be the main power line from winch to battery, or negative line from control box to ground.

Same effect at the end of the day in stopping someone plugging a controller in and getting up to mischief but is it better to not have power flowing to it all those daily drive trips when it's not being used and going the power line option?

What have you blokes done?
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Where to install winch isolator switch, battery or contr

Post by AusTac » 07 Dec 2016, 2:24 pm

I've got an isolator switch on the positive battery cable, wouldn't be surprised if it melts one day but so far so good, it came in the kit and yeah didn't want someone bridging the box with a paperclip tearing my rig to bits lol
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Dec 2016, 3:30 pm

As long as you break the circuit.... the electron move in the same manner, same 'intensity' through the + or - lead... if in the negative there will still however be potential at the winch, so if the winch body is 'ground' for some reason, it may be energised.... (so isolate the +ve to be safe)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Dec 2016, 6:22 pm

Yes,, agreed, isolate the positive feed to the winch.
Best place is wherever it is NOT accessible to naughty people.
But in saying that, if at all possible put it where you can get to it quickly and easily in case of a winch control solenoid sticking.
If that ever happens as you are winching in, and you cant isolate it quickly, it could get messy.

I use one of those that have the plastic key.
I attach the key to swing nearby on a stainless fishing trace so it never gets lost.
I also use a 2" long piece of heater hose that is a firm push fit over the dome where the key is inserted.
Plug one end of the hose with silicone, and it works a treat by keeping moisture out of the switch itself.
Also seal the flanges where the switch was assembled.
I found that before I started doing that, the moisture that was allowed in would corrode the contact plates, and the next time you needed the winch,, it couldnt get power.

Since keeping the "hose plug" pushed on when not using the winch, I have had the one isolation switch for approx eight years and its still reliable.
Before that,,, I found that they either failed completely or were unreliable after only 12 months or sometimes less.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 07 Dec 2016, 8:08 pm

Good idea on the plug, got out to the bush on the weekend was doing all the usual pre checks and my stupid winch didn't work, took my 15 minutes to diagnose the problem, damn mud ruins all
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by becks » 08 Dec 2016, 9:56 am

AusTac wrote:it came in the kit and yeah didn't want someone bridging the box with a paperclip tearing my rig to bits lol

I have a morbid fascination to see a picture of that :lol:
Howa Ranchland 7mm
Remington 7600 pump-action .243
Martin XT-22
becks
Private
Private

South Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel