Battery CCA and higher temperature outputs

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Battery CCA and higher temperature outputs

Post by Lorgar » 10 Dec 2016, 8:22 pm

I'm a bit fuzzy on the auto-electric stuff here and after a reminder.

I've recently installed a winch which calls for a 650 cold cranking amperes battery. Current battery is 600 CCA.

(For what it matters amperes drawn by the winch on it's maximum line pull weight is 420A according to the book.)

CCA rating is based on 0c which it won't be when I'm using the winch. As cold kills the battery performance, am I right in thinking that on 10c - 35c days like we have in Victoria the battery will be able to provide well in excess of 600A while warmer and is actually suitable for the winch?

I did a Google and found some CCA/temperature calculator estimator thing which reckons between 10c and 35c the battery would be providing more in the 900 - 980 A range due to the increased temperature. Not sure what the calculator is worth though.

What do we think?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Battery CCA and higher temperature outputs

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Dec 2016, 10:55 pm

Iv'e seen otherwise dead batteries come to life with a heap of heat from the campfire (thanks ABC Bush Mechanics)

Lead acid batteries certainly love a bit of temperature but personally I wouldn't be factoring that into the equation when choosing a battery for heavy duty tasks.

Don't forgot you'll have some power transmission line loss through your wiring and winch relay (probably already factored into the manufacturers 650cca recommendations) . Also keep in mind that your 600cca battery may not perform as a 600cca battery for ever. It's performance will drop off as the plates scale up.

All that said youd probably get away with it but I'd certainly be upgrading the battery when it's due.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 11 Dec 2016, 11:06 am

on_one_wheel wrote:All that said youd probably get away with it but I'd certainly be upgrading the battery when it's due.

The battery is only about 9 months old as it is, so "when it's due" for replacement is a fair way off and I'll likely be using the winch a reasonable amount in that time.

Not ideal to wait as long as it will be if replacing it now is the smart option. If it needs doing I'll just do it. I was hoping being as close to 650 as it is that might not be the case though.

Hmmm.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Dec 2016, 10:51 pm

Surely with your motor running the alternator will give it any extra grunt it needs ?

That added to your hot cranking amps theory should do the job with ease.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 12 Dec 2016, 9:41 am

I should think/guess so mate, but again I'm no auto electrician so just getting some second opinions :thumbsup:

I've been thinking about getting an auxiliary battery setup in due course too, maybe I'll ride it out until then and see what deal I can get on an upgraded started battery when I buy the kit for that.

For now I suppose I can play it safe and just double line pull everything to make life easy for the winch until then.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by buckle » 03 Jan 2017, 9:27 am

Could be an excuse to add an aux battery to the rig :mrgreen:
buckle
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Bourt » 03 Jan 2017, 2:43 pm

Aux battery is a bit more complicated than just dropping a second battery in though.

You need some battery manager and isolator bits for it to work properly. Costs a few hundred bucks.

And the $$ for the second battery of course.

Cost a fair bit more than just replacing the main battery, kind of a waste unless you actually need the second one.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by nords » 10 Feb 2017, 9:33 am

Hi guys,

My neighbour was fixing his dual cab in the drive so I stuck my head in the bonnet and had a look :lol:

In his Isuzu he has 450CC stock battery. I asked and he said he has never had a problem, has had the winch and truck for about a year.

Not stating it's good as I'm no expert, just saying what has worked for him.

With the alternator running it seems to fill the gap.
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 10 Feb 2017, 9:58 am

For what it's worth I've given the winch a bit of a workout over the past month and it hasn't missed a beat, so assumptions confirmed at this stage as far as I'm concerned.

Not terribly scientific, but just for anecdotal evidence I did a bit of a field test and observation on the last trip.

Found a 30-40 degree incline, did two roughly 20 metre pulls, one double line pull with a snatch block, one single line pull.

For both tests had the air-con, stereo, cabin lights, factory headlines and flood lights on to push the electricals as much as I could.

Didn't miss a beat. The winch pulled smoothly and consistently without any lulls in power, no visible dipping of the lights or anything to indicate a shortage.

I won't be rushing out to buy a replacement battery.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel