Adding loctite after bolts is already screwed in

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Adding loctite after bolts is already screwed in

Post by RealNick » 19 Dec 2016, 9:51 am

Hi guys,

I've got a bunch of things on the car, roof racks, leads, whatever bolted around the car. I'm thinking of a bit of precaution for increasing off road travel and making sure everything stays tight.

I know the proper way to use loctite is to put a bead on the thread before tightening, but to be honest undoing and redoing everything 'just in case' is a huge chore.

So my question is, does putting a drop of loctite on an already tightened nut and bolt where they meet add anything? I know it won't be anything like the same of keeping it tight in place, but if a nut was wiggling loose would it just keep it there instead of rattling all the way off the bolt? or would it just flake away or something with movement like that which it isn't intended for?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Adding loctite after bolts is already screwed in

Post by Supaduke » 19 Dec 2016, 10:06 am

I dare say if you don't put the loctite on the actual thread it would do SFA.
I doubt anyone has actually tried dabbing it on top cause it's not how it's done.

Why not just back the bolt out half way and apply some.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 19 Dec 2016, 10:35 am

Get super wick-in.

Its by loctite, for assembled parts
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 19 Dec 2016, 11:18 am

Supaduke wrote:I dare say if you don't put the loctite on the actual thread it would do SFA.

Ditto.

Mitch wrote:Get super wick-in.

Its by loctite, for assembled parts

Loctite 290 is the one you want.

Says 'After Lock' on the pack and is for already assembled parts. Is designed to penetrate the thread when already done up.

290 is the medium strength one you'll be able to remove afterwards if you need as well.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Jan 2017, 8:39 am

Blue Thread Locker by Loctite is a lower strength formula that allows for easy undoing of nuts when desired.
It is recommended to apply it the conventional way,,,,,,,,,, BUT,,,

I have successfully applied it externally to catch a dodgy mechanic that was telling me lies.
When applied externally (tiny amount) on the exposed thread, it does congeal and stay in place.

I had a mechanic that kept telling me he had checked the tappets on a 60 series Cruiser.
As this cannot be done unless the rocker cover is removed,, I put a tiny amount of Thread Locker on the rocker cover studs.
The next time he said that he'd done the job, and found some were a bit tight, I invited him to lift the bonnet, and I pointed to the little blotches of blue that were still intact, and had not been disturbed.

He got a bit Agro, but I refused to pay his bill, and I never returned. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Harts » 18 Jan 2017, 3:35 pm

Dodgy bastard.

It won't make him change his ways but at least you got to stick him on one :thumbsup:
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Berper » 25 Jan 2017, 9:41 am

Just stay clear of the 263 if you ever want to unscrew them again.

"high strength" is an f***ing understatement! :lol:
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel