5km speedo check

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

5km speedo check

Post by Bark » 03 Jan 2017, 3:40 pm

Doing some travelling over the holidays I came across a 5km "speedo check" which I haven't seen before.

Not an odometer check, a speedo check.

I must be missing something simple but I don't get it?

Only thing I can think of is have the cruise control on and measure the time between markers, then work it out.

But A, to do it with any chance of accuracy you'd need to have a stop watch in your hand ready to go. Any other way will be inaccurate enough to basically be useless as you only have to be a few km off to get a ticket.

And B, who's going to be stuffed working any of it out while you're going down the highway at 110km.

What am I missing?
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: 5km speedo check

Post by AusTac » 03 Jan 2017, 4:34 pm

Sounds like a crock of sh$t to me, speedos are only accurate to within 2-3 kms at best on the older analogue dials
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Noisydad » 03 Jan 2017, 4:44 pm

After checking with a GPS my Defenders speedo is 10% ambitious and flicks up and down +\_ 3kmh.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 03 Jan 2017, 4:49 pm

The 5 km speed checks havecbeen around for domkeys years.. i remember my dad using them to figure out how out his speedo is.

He would set the trip odo to zero at the 0 km sign and then see how out it was at the 5 km sign.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Bark » 04 Jan 2017, 8:49 am

Wylie27 wrote:He would set the trip odo to zero at the 0 km sign and then see how out it was at the 5 km sign.

Not talking about an odometer check mate.

Like I said, was clearly signed as a speedo check.

Unless I'm still missing the point here... :unknown:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 04 Jan 2017, 6:56 pm

Yep seen it to when I was driving in NSW the only thing I could work out was set to zero and drive for 5ks
From a QLD Police site
"There are several ways that a vehicle speedo can be tested. By setting the trip meter and comparing the measured distance to the actual distance – a driver can see by how much the speedo is ‘out’. Along major highways there are speedo check signs available. Set your trip meter at the 0 sign, then at the 1km sign the trip meter should indicate 1 km travelled. Check for the 2, 3, 4, and 5 km signs to verify accuracy."
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jan 2017, 7:40 pm

good idea.my son had a jeep with the biggest wheels I have ever seen and at 82 on the speedo we were doing 110
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jan 2017, 7:42 pm

I imported a V12 Jaguar from England and my wife was pulled over on a country road out of Byford doing 110,It was MPH They let her off
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jan 2017, 9:17 pm

happyhunter wrote:Some people use a GPS to verify speedo readings. Most cars at 100km indicated will actually be doing 97km/h. Motorbikes are the same.

I hate that. Every car Ive owned except one was 3 to 6 kph out.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 04 Jan 2017, 9:37 pm

Bark wrote:
Wylie27 wrote:He would set the trip odo to zero at the 0 km sign and then see how out it was at the 5 km sign.

Its the same thing.. rebranded.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 10 Sep 2017, 10:43 am

Bark, they are an odometer check, you push your reset as you pass the start and compare readings at the end.

Noisydad, don't know if it has improved yet, but the average "store bought" GPS unit will be less accurate than your car's mechanical speedo if you have standard tyres and a reasonably new car. Even my 28yo Range Rover is only 3% out with 460k kms.on the clock.
I know that they used to only be acurate to 10-15m on location and didn't refresh often enough to keep closer than 10% on speed, but having said that, the units you attach to graders and dozers etc for GPS grade control are acurate to a couple od mm now so maybe the guidance jobbies have improved as eell.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 10 Sep 2017, 11:21 am

Bark wrote:

It is a speedo check. By checking your speedo is geared correctly ( by knowing that 5 km on your odometer is 5 km on the road) you can feel confident that 100km/h on your speedometer is 100kn/h on the police radar :thumbsup:

hence it is a speedo check, just that the great unwashed masses have no need to know how or why

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 10 Sep 2017, 11:53 am

Oldbloke wrote:
happyhunter wrote:Some people use a GPS to verify speedo readings. Most cars at 100km indicated will actually be doing 97km/h. Motorbikes are the same.

I hate that. Every car Ive owned except one was 3 to 6 kph out.

It's an Australia Design Rule forget which number which makes your actual speed slower than indicated speed, blame the ADRs for this.

I set cruise control for 115 KPH in 110 zones never been booked, still have standard size tyres for car.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2017, 7:14 pm

Chronos wrote:
Bark wrote:

It is a speedo check. By checking your speedo is geared correctly ( by knowing that 5 km on your odometer is 5 km on the road) you can feel confident that 100km/h on your speedometer is 100kn/h on the police radar :thumbsup:

hence it is a speedo check, just that the great unwashed masses have no need to know how or why

Chronos

Who are these great unwashed you speak of Steven?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chronos » 10 Sep 2017, 7:38 pm

People who pay for an oil change, don't say anything when their pink slip comes with $40 a windscreen wiper change and people who let their mechanic change brake pads when they say they need changing :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Sep 2017, 7:42 pm

Yeah mechanics will certainly spear ya if you let em, I'm luck my mate is my mechanic so he looks after me. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel