When to turn on which isolator

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

When to turn on which isolator

Post by Seconds » 13 Jan 2017, 3:12 pm

To the guys with winches on their 4WDs, do you guys turn your isolators on when you begin your off roading, so the winch can be used quickly.

Or only when it actually comes time to use it after you're stuck.

Anyone had a problem with something from driving around with it on?

Or had a situation where they couldn't get the isolator on because of how they were stuck or positioned?
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: When to turn on which isolator

Post by colsta » 13 Jan 2017, 4:41 pm

never ran an isolator on any of my winches but i do run an in cab rocker switches
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
rossi puma lever action 45
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 13 Jan 2017, 6:03 pm

If your about to drive into a big mud puddle probably be good idea to turn it on before,. Otherwise in dry bogs, sand or steep hills probably be right to leave it off till you need it.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rsj223 » 13 Jan 2017, 6:34 pm

Never had a switch.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Jan 2017, 2:39 pm

I've said previously (other posts) and I say again, two GOOD reasons for having an isolator,,,

1) It will stop naughty people from attempting to cut your vehicle in half with your winch while you are sleeping etc.
(It only takes a bit of fiddling with a piece/s of wire to activate the winch via the control box if not protected by an isolator)

2) Winch solenoids have been known to jam on or stick, and an isolator can save ending up with things getting smashed.
Not so bad if your winching out at the time, but BAD if your winching in, especially if near the end of the pull.

For the above reasons, the isolator should be in a position that is normally inaccessible to "naughty people" ,,,,,,,, but also in a position that is easy and quick for yourself to access.
I always put mine under the bonnet which is pretty secure, yet easy for myself.
Its a good idea to always have the bonnet up when winching anyway,, to save the windscreen in case of snapped cable.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 16 Jan 2017, 3:39 pm

Turn mine on when i air down, get the straps for a single line pull and always physically test the winch to make sure shes's ready to rock happened to me before that mud between the battery terminals stopped the winch from working
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by beepar » 17 Jan 2017, 2:37 pm

AusTac wrote:Turn mine on when i air down, get the straps for a single line pull and always physically test the winch to make sure shes's ready to rock happened to me before that mud between the battery terminals stopped the winch from working

My old man makes sure to run his in and out once a month if not using it to keep it ready to do the business.

Learned that the hard way after not touching it for 6 months. Came time to use it and..... nada :thumbsdown:
beepar
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 17 Jan 2017, 4:49 pm

beepar wrote:
AusTac wrote:Turn mine on when i air down, get the straps for a single line pull and always physically test the winch to make sure shes's ready to rock happened to me before that mud between the battery terminals stopped the winch from working

My old man makes sure to run his in and out once a month if not using it to keep it ready to do the business.

Learned that the hard way after not touching it for 6 months. Came time to use it and..... nada :thumbsdown:

Yeah i run mine everytime i eaither wash the vehicle or go through water/deep mud once a fortnight at least, took me half an hour out the bush to fuigure out the problem and fix it
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 18 Jan 2017, 2:49 pm

scotty87 wrote:If your about to drive into a big mud puddle probably be good idea to turn it on before,. Otherwise in dry bogs, sand or steep hills probably be right to leave it off till you need it.

Second this.

And +1 for running your winch in and out a few metres once a month or so, to keep it in working order.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel