Mud Terrain tyre life

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Mud Terrain tyre life

Post by veep » 17 Jan 2017, 9:51 am

Is it right Mud Terrain tyres have shorter life than A/T's?

I would have though with the extra thick tread and all that it should be the same or longer if the tyres are stronger.

But seems they're gone after about 80% of the distance an A/T tyre will do? Anyone rolling on them confirm?
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Mud Terrain tyre life

Post by albat » 17 Jan 2017, 10:53 am

Unless you genuinely need them avoid them they turn into road tyres real quick when used 95% road use best have a cheap set on spare wheels for ewhen you need them
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Jan 2017, 10:58 am

I got the best mileage ever out of a set of Goodyear MT/R's on my F-250, 90,000+km. These tyres had done an off-road ( i.e no road ) trip across the Great Sandy desert which resulted in numerous punctures from driving through scrub. These were repaired, ( patched ) a couple had to be tubed, and then continued life doing normal duties. They did a lot of gravel road miles, a lot of weight carrying and a lot of towing. When it came time to replace them, that particular tyre was no longer available and I opted for a set of A/T's that were recommended by the tyre shop. These then wore out completely in 30,000km. Needless to say I changed brands. Current tyres are Generals, made in the U.S, A/T's and need replacing now at about 70,000km. At least half of that was on gravel roads.
The minimum rating on tyres for this vehicle is 1550kg/tyre plus the speed rating. This cuts out most of the "cheap" brands as they don't have high enough rated tyres.
The life of a tyre depends on a lot of variables, rubber compound, case construction, tread design & depth, vehicle type and operating conditions. For general use, the more rubber in contact with the road the longer the tyre will last. Some A/T's have tread designs that are quite open an can actually have less rubber in contact with the road than a more aggressive Mud Terrain. Some A/T's have a very shallow tread depth which equals less milage. A "soft" case will deform more under heavy loads than a more heavily constructed case that stands up to the weight, again, increasing wear. Be very wary of tyres that have attributes like high "comfort" and low noise ratings if you are after tyres that need to work and last.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 17 Jan 2017, 1:07 pm

as the others have said if you are driving on the black top give them a miss .

I use the MAXXIS 764 but my lux sees dirt and scrub 80% of the time so I get

good ks and about 3 years out of them.

and the wider the tread pattern the less rubber you have on the road and the

more noise you get , so if you think you would like to run them because they look

cool and live in town you'll will be replacing them every year for cheapy muds or

spending $300+ a corner to get 2 years out of them .

and they handle worse , the braking ability isn't as good you get more body roll as

the tread blocks move around until they are 1/2 worn out and then they are like

driving on skates in the wet but still good on the dirt .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 17 Jan 2017, 1:20 pm

Depends on how hard the rubber is mud tyres generally dont last as long but depends on the circumstances.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 17 Jan 2017, 2:53 pm

You can pickup a spare set of basic rims on gumtree for about $150.

Not a bad option to rotate a pair of MT and AT/Road tyres as required to get the best ride and use out of both.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Octane » 25 Jan 2017, 10:34 am

veep wrote:But seems they're gone after about 80% of the distance an A/T tyre will do? Anyone rolling on them confirm?

Depends on variables but that seems about right.
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bark » 30 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm

deye243 wrote:if you think you would like to run them because they look cool and live in town you'll will be replacing them every year for cheapy muds or spending $300+ a corner to get 2 years out of them.

Fair bit of coin to look 'tough' I say.

Why a lot of people buy them, I am sure.

Unless you really need them, better to get a set of A/T IMO. They do perfectly fine proper off road driving as long as it's not too extreme.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Jan 2017, 6:35 pm

I would prefer not to run 'muddies' but because im always driving around the paddocks and they get pretty slippery when wet, i kind'a got no choice.

Just priced replacing the current Maxxis Bighorn i'm running with the same product for $190 per/fitted. Not entirely sure how many kms i got from these but they have been on for about 4 years (i don't go far, generally but the occasional longer trip), in saying that, mine are pretty close to completely cactus.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by maxi » 14 Feb 2017, 2:07 pm

Bark wrote:Why a lot of people buy them, I am sure.

I reckon you're right.

A/T are a smart choice for most of us I think as we spend some time off road and a lot on it.

We get around all the parks on them here too.
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Tils » 14 Feb 2017, 4:53 pm

I have a set of Cooper STT that have about 20k on them, I made the mistake of towing a van with them and it butchered the rear tyres to hell. Needless to say, I promptly went to the tyre joint bought a second set of rims and cheap A/T's and they now have a little over 40k on them now and only half worn if that- they even survived a trip over the Simpson desert and along the Finke river. I do 5 tyre rotation every service.
If it wasn't for the trip where I towed the van, I would have expected somewhere between 60- 80k out of the Coopers.

Tils
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Hucka » 15 Feb 2017, 12:42 pm

Tils wrote:I have a set of Cooper STT that have about 20k on them, I made the mistake of towing a van with them and it butchered the rear tyres to hell.

Because you didn't up the pressure? Or do they just not tolerate the extra weight, period?
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Tils » 15 Feb 2017, 4:22 pm

Hucka wrote:
Tils wrote:I have a set of Cooper STT that have about 20k on them, I made the mistake of towing a van with them and it butchered the rear tyres to hell.

Because you didn't up the pressure? Or do they just not tolerate the extra weight, period?

I had increased the rear tyre pressures, but it seems the tread blocks just didn't like the extra load.
Tils
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel