Grampians 4wd trail advice

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Grampians 4wd trail advice

Post by YoungBuck » 22 Jan 2017, 6:42 pm

Has anyone done this trail before?
http://www.4wdvictoria.org.au/iconic4wd ... mpians.pdf

Reason for my asking is that I would like to do this trail with a couple of relatives (each own a navara) and would like to know before hand if my Subie will handle it OK. Ive got a Subaru XV, completely stock at the moment but will be putting a AT tires on when the current road tires wear out.
As far as clearance goes its got 220mm so pretty good there considering its an SUV, my main issue I think will be the fact that I've got no Low Range gears.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Grampians 4wd trail advice

Post by colsta » 22 Jan 2017, 7:04 pm

if you read the link you provided it recommends you have low range
Savage 22lr
tikka t3 223
rossi puma lever action 45
colsta
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by albat » 22 Jan 2017, 7:43 pm

From my experience 4wd in state forests tracks gazetted on the map have deteriorared real bad over time and are way harder than you would imagine looking at the map and satellite views, been caught short a few times especially if its been raining , high elevation areas where the water runs off fast are generally more rutted requiring good articulation , clearance and good all terrain tyres as a minimum medium rated tracks in the wet turn knarley pretty fast no matter what 4wd your driving
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Jan 2017, 9:11 pm

The scooby doo should be OK with AT rubber.... in the dry season I couldnt imagine a problem on a marked track, but if you're taking Nissans, you should also take a mate with a Toyota, you know, a Nissan recovery vehicle... :lol: :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by YoungBuck » 22 Jan 2017, 9:58 pm

Thx for the feedback.
Colsta - yes I've read it back and forth. I was looking for opinions of those who have been there as I did the ottways trail a few weeks ago (which is rated easy) and it said AWD minimum for most of the trail. Well after doing it any 2wd vehicle could have easily done it (and it was wet conditions) so I'm wondering if they are slightly over stating the difficulty.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 23 Jan 2017, 7:15 am

You are probably right in assuming the difficulty level is overstated especially well worn tourists tracks as these are usually better maintained from my 4wding in qld. they have to cater for all levels of people driving the tracks and err on the side of caution
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 02 Mar 2017, 2:14 pm

I haven't done the Grampians trail but I've done plenty of others on all sides of Victoria and I can tell you, it's a gamble. The difficulty of some is overstated. Others are the opposite.

Even on what's regarded as an easier track the problem is it only takes one unexpected obstacle to stop you (or stick you). A bit of surprise rain etc. like albat already mentioned.

In Gembrook there is a track called Blue Range, it requires a proper 4WD with low range but is relatively easy and any stock 4WD would normally be able to get through it fine. I'd done it myself 3 or 4 times before at this point, and was out again with a friend who was taking his new truck out for the first time.

It was just after the track had opened again from seasonal closures and it had been raining heavily in days before. Sure enough, one of the hill sides sections which was normally a flat dirt road was now a 20 metre long, metre deep pit, with 15" deeps ruts full of mud the whole way along.

There was a bit of a queue with another convoy when we got there checking it out. I don't know the exact specs/mods of his vehicle, but the guy who went first and the only one to get through was in a short wheel base patrol with lockers, a massive lift and 37" (or thereabouts) mud tyres, and he made it out by a hairs breadth.

The rest of the vehicles were Landcruisers, D-Max, Patrols etc. Every single one got stuck and had to be snatched or winched out by the guy in front.

I think my last words before heading out with my mate were "It's pretty easy, you'll be fine" :lol:

Not trying to put your off your trip or anything, but it's a legitimate concern I think.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel