Getting stopped for "random" breath tests.

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Getting stopped for "random" breath tests.

Post by Utcherd » 23 Feb 2017, 10:51 am

I'm sure we've all had a little of this, but the last week I've really copped it with being "randomly" stopped by police for a breath test.

I drive an old commodore that's resprayed the Holden canary yellow - or whatever its proper name is - and also has an aftermarket exhaust.

At a glance it looks/sounds like it might be something fancy, but other than what's mentioned above it's totally stock. Brakes, springs etc. etc. all good, nothing close to being defect.

Anyway, in the past I had an old corolla, and wouldn't see a cop for months at a time and never got pulled over. Since getting the brighter car I get stopped maybe once a week.

The thing that got to me today was I was pulled over twice in the same trip about 20 minutes apart. I told the second cop his mate had pulled me over 20 minutes ago and we'd just done all this, but he didn't want to hear it and I had to go through it all again.

Rant over :lol:
Utcherd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Getting stopped for "random" breath tests.

Post by valkyrie » 23 Feb 2017, 11:54 am

Bad luck mate. Thats the nature of owning a commy though. Skylines tend to get similar treatment. I drive a massive hilux that has several things that could be defected at a glance but the coppers dont seem to care. Had it 2 years now driving in the city and havent been pulled over once
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by juststarting » 23 Feb 2017, 11:59 am

Have you tried taking the fuzzy dice off the mirror?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2017, 12:24 pm

Vehicle profiling would be in play here, your car fits several "profiles" which is why they're targeting you. That model car may be a favourite amongst thieves or hoons and apart from the inconvenience of losing a few minutes it's actually a good thing they're stopping you. If your car gets stolen then there's a better chance the cops will find it compared to the old corolla :)
There used to be a booze bus on Windsor Rd near Sunnyholt Rd every Thursday night for a couple months. I made a point of getting pulled over for a breath test, the cop was a stunning young blonde number with a great sense of humour :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 23 Feb 2017, 12:26 pm

So it's a canary yellow commodore, I am going out on a limb here and saying it's a VL.. commodore painted up to be like a BT1. (Police car). When you say stock rins are we talking stock chaser rims?

If that's the case you are driving a police magnet. It is what the hoons / bogans drive at the moment..

If no a VL then VN's are taking over that mantle.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Hooper22 » 23 Feb 2017, 1:00 pm

Years ago I drove a "mini truck". Rodeo, 7 inch drop (would grind chassis over speed bumps), supercharged, big exhaust (all completely illegal and a massive waste of money). I pulled onto a fairly major road one day with wheels spinning, right alongside a completely innocent stock commodore. A bike copper riding the other direction heard it, pulled a u turn and blasted straight past me to pull over the commodore.......
Cops do love to pick on the commodores
Hooper22
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 23 Feb 2017, 5:24 pm

Brett you were trying to get yourself bent over the bonnet and frisked weren't you?!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2017, 5:37 pm

Noisydad wrote:Brett you were trying to get yourself bent over the bonnet and frisked weren't you?!

For her I'd demand she cavity search me :) Funny enough the last time they stopped me she wasn't on so I asked the young constable where the hot blonde had gone, he shook his head and said I was the 5th person that night asking where she was :) Being a non-drinker and having a brother killed by a drunk driver I don't mind if they stop me 10 times a day if it saves the brother of someone else.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by albat » 23 Feb 2017, 6:06 pm

Utcherd , have you been living under a rock , the commy is now officially a potential mass murder weapon anyone driving one is subject to all sorts hassle and legislation heard there could be a buyback soon :sarcasm:
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 23 Feb 2017, 6:20 pm

Lever action door handles on a car....there's an idea :)
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by albat » 23 Feb 2017, 7:13 pm

Yes lever action door handles but limited to 5 only :D
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Feb 2017, 8:35 pm

Yep as said eirlier, old Crumadores are cop magnets.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 25 Feb 2017, 8:32 am

Old canary yellow commodores are definitely cop bait!
The only time I was harrased by the cops was a brief period 8 years ago when I had an 15year old falcon runabout while I was doing up a Valiant, living in St Kilda and wearing a beanie got me pulled over a few times.
Since then being a ute driver has kept me out of trouble.
Bigjobss

Post by wrenchman » 25 Feb 2017, 9:25 am

i had early 70s buick grand sport it was that nasty puke green being 18 and my older brother worked for a body shop we painted it canary yellow it was the worst thing i ever did i had to park it stuck out like a sore thumb cop even told so.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by colinbentley » 03 Sep 2017, 11:46 am

I have been stopped for testing many times over the years and have always been OK. However over 20 years ago now I had been drinking scotch and certainly should not have been behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I was on Mitcham Road heading towards Wantirna which is a straight stretch of road with no turnoffs. And there in the roadway was booze bus. I was driving a green Ford Fairlane Marquis . My whole life flashed before my eyes because I was working two part time jobs to fund my retirement and blow me down I was waved through. I couldn't believe my luck because I would have been over the limit. It scared the hell out of me and from that day forward I have NEVER driven a car if I have had more than a glass of wine.......even at Christmas. So there is an example of someone learning his lesson and I didn't even get caught.That night I certainly had an angel on my shoulder.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 03 Sep 2017, 12:57 pm

"Random" is bulls**t. I once had a cop coming from the opposite side the do a u turn to random breath test me.
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 03 Sep 2017, 2:31 pm

I had a commodore a few cars ago, it was reasonably stock and im far from a p plater hoon.Cop magnet! Hilux i had after it i never got pulled over and ive never been pulled over in my cruiser a couple of times even when passing cops with radars in a group of cars travelling over the limit, i can only assume cops not focusing on a landcruiser because most would be not speeding.So i honestly think its the car because they know the burnout boys love old cheap commodores! Do you have steel rims with no hubcaps? This be a red flag that says "burnout/drift missile pull me over" straight away. It sucks the way cops profile cars but i guess it has something to do with he fact that they often would be correct in pulling older commodores over as they are driven by the kinds of people they chase all the time.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 03 Sep 2017, 2:38 pm

Utcherd wrote:I drive an old commodore that's resprayed the Holden canary yellow - or whatever its proper name is - and also has an aftermarket exhaust.

Are you seriously unsure why you are targeted?...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 03 Sep 2017, 3:11 pm

In Canberra they have 2 Highway patrol cars called Rapid 1&2, they have real time database scanning for expired rego, no licences, outstanding court dates etc. I was pulled over a few times for "random" breath tests and they asked if there were any firearms in the car. Turns out the link drivers license and rego to firearms licenses (cat H anyway).
Last edited by yoshie on 03 Sep 2017, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Sep 2017, 5:32 pm

I believe the link to firearms licence and rego has been happening in Victoria for a few years now.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Sep 2017, 10:27 am

Same in NSW. Overheard on a scanner years ago after a fella was pulled over.
After the usual name address etc, was the following remark, "......has a firearms licence, may be armed." :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 04 Sep 2017, 2:38 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Same in NSW. Overheard on a scanner years ago after a fella was pulled over.
After the usual name address etc, was the following remark, "......has a firearms licence, may be armed." :allegedly:

It disgust me that they assume a LAFO (who's obviously not a convicted criminal or wouldn't have a licence!)is going to have a loaded unsecured firearm.I wonder if they have the same flags on criminals who have been convicted of firearms offences, but never held a licence?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 04 Sep 2017, 9:00 pm

Dunxy, if I were a cop, stopping a random car with a random person... I'd like to have all the possible information I could on them. Armed, not armed, offences, history, etc. I don't see an issue.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 14 Nov 2017, 3:45 pm

colinbentley wrote:I have been stopped for testing many times over the years and have always been OK. However over 20 years ago now I had been drinking scotch and certainly should not have been behind the wheel of a motor vehicle. I was on Mitcham Road heading towards Wantirna which is a straight stretch of road with no turnoffs. And there in the roadway was booze bus. I was driving a green Ford Fairlane Marquis . My whole life flashed before my eyes because I was working two part time jobs to fund my retirement and blow me down I was waved through. I couldn't believe my luck because I would have been over the limit. It scared the hell out of me and from that day forward I have NEVER driven a car if I have had more than a glass of wine.......even at Christmas. So there is an example of someone learning his lesson and I didn't even get caught.That night I certainly had an angel on my shoulder.

Was that down in the dip where the Eastlink is now?
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by ERNK » 28 Nov 2017, 6:31 pm

Utcherd wrote:I'm sure we've all had a little of this, but the last week I've really copped it with being "randomly" stopped by police for a breath test.

I drive an old commodore that's resprayed the Holden canary yellow - or whatever its proper name is - and also has an aftermarket exhaust.

At a glance it looks/sounds like it might be something fancy, but other than what's mentioned above it's totally stock. Brakes, springs etc. etc. all good, nothing close to being defect.

Anyway, in the past I had an old corolla, and wouldn't see a cop for months at a time and never got pulled over. Since getting the brighter car I get stopped maybe once a week.

The thing that got to me today was I was pulled over twice in the same trip about 20 minutes apart. I told the second cop his mate had pulled me over 20 minutes ago and we'd just done all this, but he didn't want to hear it and I had to go through it all again.

Rant over :lol:

I once got pulled over by two police driving out at the Port of Brisbane - We had gone for a drive to see the US ships in port.

The road out there used to be a long dead straight that was used for drags when I was a kid, it is now (of course) still a straight road with about six roundabouts installed to slow people down.

Anyway, two police, about 500m from the end of the road (roundabout) stopped me for RBT, I complied and back on our way, turned around at the end of the road, and they stopped me again... I also explained that they had just done me not 5 minutes ago, wouldn't have a bar of it... I'n not sure if they work on a quota, but very weird...
ERNK
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ed9362 » 02 Dec 2017, 9:54 pm

Dunxy wrote:
Gamerancher wrote:Same in NSW. Overheard on a scanner years ago after a fella was pulled over.

It disgust me that they assume a LAFO (who's obviously not a convicted criminal or wouldn't have a licence!)is going to have a loaded unsecured firearm.I wonder if they have the same flags on criminals who have been convicted of firearms offences, but never held a licence?

My brother in law is a beat vic cop and i aksed him about this.

Any one who has involvement with firearms will show up when they enter you adress or the reg of a car in your name.
Illegal involvement with firearms will flag red. Simply holding a firearms licence will flag green, so they know who the crooks are and are not. The brother in law said that its quite common for firearms to flag when they bring people up in the computer and un less the individual is a known violent offender, they dont pay to much attention to it.
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel