Premature wear after suspension lift

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Premature wear after suspension lift

Post by Wes » 27 Feb 2017, 11:10 am

Hi Fellas,

I'm reading up on suspension lifts for the 4WD. I get that when you do a lift you change the angles of various things throughout the system which can/does lead to premature wear of things like CV joints.

I've done lots of Googling and reading on it and everyone highlights the problem but seems no one can actually put a number on it.

On a stock 4WD a 2" lift will wear your other components, ok, but by how much?

Does it reduce a 300,000km life to....250k, 200, 150, 100?

Can anyone give me a number based on their experience of how much wear and to what we're talking.

It it knocks 5% off the life of other stuff no biggie, but if it halves it that's obviously something else.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Premature wear after suspension lift

Post by AusTac » 27 Feb 2017, 11:32 am

Depends on the lift, quality of the lift components and quality of the job/who fitted it, as long as everythings looked after its fine,the components that won't cope with the lift should be replaced, this can differ between solid and independant suspension systems ( much easier to lift a solid axle vehicle properly )

Id say at least 50% of whats out there isn't done right
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Noisydad » 27 Feb 2017, 1:18 pm

Had a ,92 Hilux on OME suspension and it ate uni joints for breakfast! I kept 3 spares all the time.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 27 Feb 2017, 1:49 pm

Most of the time bushings, CV joints and ball joints are what wear. All these parts are replaceable, if you do alot of off roading they will wear quicker then on just driving on the highway. Normally a car that does 200,000 or 300,000 you would be replacing bushings, CV joints and ball joints (maybe not all, but some) anyway.
Typically what happens is a car does 100,000 km's then all the parts have warn in nicely then doing a lift kit all the angles are changed so it will wear in a different position causing it to wear quicker.

Imagine the picture below is a busing and lower control arm, orange is OME position and the red 2 inch lift. After wearing in the OME position the lift kits done and then it wears in the red position the bushing is gunna wear quicker.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (7.25 KiB) Viewed 6549 times

There are to many variables to count.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 27 Feb 2017, 2:14 pm

Depending on if its a live axle or independent.
Springs and shocks are the easy bit. Its add ons that are required to reset back to factory geometry is were it can cost big dollars.
If done right with the right gear it shouldn't make any difference, but some 4wd's are easier than others.
I have done 4-5" lift in patrols and no issue's but costs reasonable amount of dollars to do it correctly.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Brute » 28 Feb 2017, 2:48 pm

Something I know a lot of people overlook that you might want to look into.

Depending on how modded your 4WD you might already be running below stock height and already suffering the problem you're trying to avoid, on a downward angle instead of up.

Stock suspension is for a stock vehicle. Once you add a bullbar, winch, roof racks, jacks, awnings and whatever else you're probably going to be riding half an inch low already. Throw in a few bums on seats and a weekend worth of camping gear and you'll be right down there.

Have a look how level everything is yourself or head to a suspension place and have them advise you, but depending on how heavy your running some quality after market suspension might give you back the lift you've lost and improve your overall wear.

Something to check :thumbsup:
The Hammer of Dawn
Brute
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 28 Feb 2017, 9:41 pm

2 inch lift is O.K. but 6 inch is a lot and you may have to get a longer drive shaft just for starters
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Wes » 05 Mar 2017, 3:50 pm

AusTac wrote:Depends on the lift, quality of the lift components and quality of the job/who fitted it

Not looking to cheap out and do it for as little as possible, but I don't have a fortune to rebuild the entire system either.

Shocks and springs?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 05 Mar 2017, 3:52 pm

pete1 wrote:Imagine the picture below is a busing and lower control arm, orange is OME position and the red 2 inch lift. After wearing in the OME position the lift kits done and then it wears in the red position the bushing is gunna wear quicker.

I get you. I'm thinking 2" lift max.

Possible just 1" if it makes sense for wear too. Sounds like this would work for what you're saying too, Brute
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 05 Mar 2017, 3:52 pm

duncan61 wrote:2 inch lift is O.K. but 6 inch is a lot and you may have to get a longer drive shaft just for starters

2" max. Definitely nothing that requires more mods than just the lift to work right.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 05 Mar 2017, 4:35 pm

Pretty sure 2 inch lift or 1/3 of suspension travel is legal limit in Victoria.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 06 Mar 2017, 7:03 am

That would do me fine.

Just looking to gain a bit of lift, 2 birds with one stone, when the factory shocks get replaced.

Not building anything hardcore.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 06 Mar 2017, 9:17 am

What brand of rig are you looking at lifting mate?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bigjobss » 06 Mar 2017, 5:06 pm

Wes wrote:
AusTac wrote:Depends on the lift, quality of the lift components and quality of the job/who fitted it

Not looking to cheap out and do it for as little as possible, but I don't have a fortune to rebuild the entire system either.

Shocks and springs?

Hey mate Im in a simmilar situation with my 2000 lux, just had bar, winch and driving lights fitted by a mob in Dandenong and happy enough with price and quality that Il be going back for a lift, they quoted me an EFS 2" lift fitted for $1400 which seems like a cracking price.
Let me know if you want to their details.
Bigjobss

Post by Wes » 07 Mar 2017, 10:14 am

AusTac, it's a 150 Prado mate.

Yeah send it along if you would Bigjobss, sounds like a deal. I'll check them out.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 07 Mar 2017, 11:37 am

Wes wrote:AusTac, it's a 150 Prado mate.

Yeah send it along if you would Bigjobss, sounds like a deal. I'll check them out.

The prado and fj cruiser are based on platform engineering and share the same chassis i assume yours is ifs front solid rear? Tough dog and EFS would be good starters for what your after me personally i stear clear of arb/ome

Have a good of whats around for both the fj and prado, have a chat to the guys about weight after all your mods are done, what you want to do and how you want it to handle, i'm not a toyota bloke but ask about stuff such as pinion angles and front cv angles
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by marksman » 12 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

I gave my car a 2" lift using Fat Bobs lift spacers, I have had no problems with them, for around $200 and fitted myself, no need to change anything else although I did replace the shockers with munroe shocks while I was at it, apparently old man emu's are munroe rebranded and am going to replace the control arms soon.
I have to say though I am not a dedicated 4x4 driver, I use my 4x4 for a lot of getting to where I hunt, a bit of dirt track and paddock work
when I looked into doing the lift everything said you do not have to change anything for a lift of 2",
as I said I have had no problems but that is not to say what has been posted by others is not right
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 13 Aug 2017, 1:25 pm

If you stick to 2" or under and do it properly there should be no issues with accelerated wear.

Honestly lifts over 2" are pretty silly IMHO anyway,without engineering they are not roadworthy and most definitely void your insurance.Sure people have gotten claims paid with illegal lifts installed, the potential is indeed there! I often see people on forums/faceballs etc claiming "but i have a 6" lift and im insured" but they fail to understand the onus is on the OWNER to ensure your mods are roadworthy and if they aren't, you void your policy.Insurance companies have no issues taking your yearly premium, its when it comes time to pay out they look at these things. My cruiser is insured for over 60k, no way would i risk voiding insurance for a bit of extra ground clearance.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 13 Aug 2017, 9:21 pm

AusTac wrote:The prado and fj cruiser are based on platform engineering and share the same chassis i assume yours is ifs front solid rear? Tough dog and EFS would be good starters for what your after me personally i stear clear of arb/ome

Have a good of whats around for both the fj and prado, have a chat to the guys about weight after all your mods are done, what you want to do and how you want it to handle, i'm not a toyota bloke but ask about stuff such as pinion angles and front cv angles

Uh it is "double wishbone front suspension and coil-sprung live-axle rear".
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hugh » 17 Dec 2017, 5:58 am

I had the cheap 2 inch lift done on mine,orignal tor bars wound up ,rear springs replaced with tough dog and same make shockers all round,best upgrade I have done improved handling and ride,done 150000 ks on it no problems with the Nav
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel