Adventure Kings solar panels

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Adventure Kings solar panels

Post by Wes » 27 Mar 2017, 10:53 am

Anyone running Adventure Kings solar panels?

Seems a good buy at $169 being powerful enough to run portable fridge/freezer, chargers etc.

Or other brands? After any info in general on the topic.

:thumbsup:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Adventure Kings solar panels

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 Mar 2017, 5:41 pm

It doesn't work quite like that. You need to work out your power load (demand) per hour, how many hours you want reliable supply, your battery capacity and then calculate how much solar in feed you need, allowing for the solar panels only producing maximum output for a few hours each day. There are lots of threads on how to calculate what you need on the 4wd forums. Depending on what you want to do, you might be better off with two 120 amp hour batteries than one 80 amp hour and a solar panel
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Wes » 27 Mar 2017, 7:35 pm

Hey Bent,

I'm not expecting anything too demanding, I know it's not a generator to be run 24/7.

With 2 batteries I still need a way of charging it though, and if that means having to do it back at home it kind of defeats the purpose of the thing.

I'm kind of following this which seems to give a laypersons explanation of everything I want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0nG4-QnUgc

If that all seems to stack up?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 Mar 2017, 9:32 pm

That's basically right, but you need to store that energy from the solar panel somewhere. The best way to do do it is by working out what you want to do and then buy what you need. Are you looking for something that will run a small (40L) fridge, charge a phone, and run a couple of led camp lights for 2-3 days, or are you thinking 2 of more small fridges or one large fridge/freezer, lights, stereo, charging cameras laptops and staying in one location for 5 or more days? These are vastly different scenarios requiring completely different set-ups. If you're after the first option, a single 120 amp hour battery which you'd charge at home before and after each trip is your cheapest and easiest option. You could then add a dcdc charger and solar panel(s) as you can afford/need to.....
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Mar 2017, 10:02 pm

I looked at solar panels a few years back for camping but decided to just buy a Genie as it was more suited to what I wanted too, I run a Cpap machine, lights, stereo, chargers, electric blanket, electric kettle and toaster, ipads etc when out camping so the solar panel wasn't going to deal with that in a hurry so 20i Honda Genie was purchased and has been a great investment (comes in handy when the blackouts are on and used it to charge my car battery when it was flat too, also used it around the house for a few diff jobs that leads wouldn't reach so has been a great investment really.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 28 Mar 2017, 7:25 am

bigfellascott wrote:....... , I run a electric blanket,...... .
dont you have a gun dog to sleep with?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Mar 2017, 7:29 am

Bent Arrow wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:....... , I run a electric blanket,...... .
dont you have a gun dog to sleep with?

Nope! only -5 or more so figured since I have a genie I might as well run an electric blanket and be nice and comfy whilst Glamping :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 02 Apr 2017, 10:36 pm

I've got one, had it for about 6 months, no problems so far. Have it hooked up to. 120 amp/hr battery running a 60 litre Weaco dual zone as well as lights and charging devices etc, recently went away for 5 days with 40 + deg temps everyday so the fridge was running hard (set at 2 deg C) and battery was still fully charged on the last day leaving just after lunch.
Well worth the money I reckon, I've got a bit of the Kings gear now and can't fault any of it....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by chookah » 10 Apr 2017, 11:16 am

Panels seem like too much of a pain in the ass for too little use to me on a 4x4.

Little power, gotta store the, unpack them over and over.

Great where you can stick them on the roof of a caravan I think but for anything in a 4x4 only I reckon a battery charged of driving is way better.
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by MattyB » 25 Feb 2020, 9:07 pm

I've just bought the 160w kings and they recommended the $99 MPPT which I also got. An MPPT makes sense but the one they are promoting to pair with the 160W panel has a 130W max... what's the deal with that? I'm thinking about returning the MPPT and picking something else up, what MPPT do people recommend???
MattyB
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel