Running a line from 4WD battery to a couple of sockets.

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Running a line from 4WD battery to a couple of sockets.

Post by Wes » 27 Mar 2017, 1:17 pm

I'm thinking forward to powered accessories I want or might want to add to the 4WD at some point.

No exact plans yet so wanting to be flexible, but the biggie would be a portable fridge, and a variety of outlets would be good to have the ability to run other cig lighter socket or 12v stuff, maybe a little inverter.

I know the stock wiring to outlets is usually pretty sub-par and won't delivery enough juice to demanding things, so I think the plan is to run a suitable wire (8g or maybe 6g?) to a multi outlet box installed somewhere in the middle of the car.

I think the box should/would have an Anderson plug, two 12v plugs, one of those plugs could receive and inverter when/if required.

I'm thinking about solar panels too to run things without the battery. I think between the battery and the outlet box I would have another anderson plug, so that I can have it plugged in and powering from battery when driving. Or unplug the box and take it outside with the panels to run off the sun when camping.

I think that covers all the bases? Am I missing anything?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Running a line from 4WD battery to a couple of sockets.

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Mar 2017, 1:24 pm

I just had one run for my van.

50 amp cable and fuse to Anderson plug at rear of ute.

6mm wire.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 Mar 2017, 5:20 pm

Sounds like you want to install a deep cycle battery. A lot of your questions depend on where you want to mount the battery, noting that AGM's shouldn't go under the bonnet, where you want to put the fridge and what type of charger you want to run.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by rsj223 » 27 Mar 2017, 6:41 pm

Not sure you can run straight from solar panel, can you fit a second battery anywhere?
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wes » 27 Mar 2017, 7:47 pm

Hi guys,

Doing some more research since posting it seems a second battery is the way, as mentioned.

I think the plan still works, just with a tweak.

Car with the outlet and new line run as above, to run the fridge off the alternator when driving between locations.

Solar panels for keeping everything running when at camp, plus maybe a portable battery setup seems to be popular for caravans?

So solar > battery > outlet box > fridge.

I need to do the costs again with this is all. Second battery install in the bonnet is surprisingly expensive, gotta draw the line somewhere and that's what's taken me to the removable option.

I'm thinking do a frame type thing that has the fridge, second battery, outlets etc. Throw it in the bar and connect to the internal one, or plonk it on the ground and connect to the panels.

Hmmmmmm.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 27 Mar 2017, 9:26 pm

You may want to get a regulator like a VRS (voltage sensitive regulator) so you cant run your start battery low.
I use one battery and a VSR all in the back of my tray dont use the solar panel if I'm only going for 3 days as I can run fridge and lights for at least 3 days and way more if we drive heaps during the day, my solar panel is about the same as the one your looking at but mines only 120amp dont trust 100% what they state.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 27 Mar 2017, 9:43 pm

You can run the car fridge from the main crank battery whilst you are driving without any problems. A modern 40L fridge only draws about 2amps. The standard wiring on your car should handle that, and if it can't the fuse should kick out anyway. You need a deep cycle battery for when the car is not running. A discharge protection device fitted to a crank battery is not a good substitute for a deep cycle battery. The battery should be your first purchase, this should come before the solar panels which won't keep your beer cold at night. Buy a bigger batter is my advice. If going under the bonnet the available space in most vehicles will limit you to about 70 amp hours, and if you want to retain the warranty you generally can't fit an AGM batter under the bonnet. Weight is also an issue and the wheel arch's often can't sustain the weight of bigger/heavier batteries. I've got a 120 amp hour battery in the tray of my hilux. Doesn't take up a heap of space, short power run to the fridge etc.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by jeebo » 28 Mar 2017, 3:17 pm

Could you run something like an Ark Pack.

Basically a battery in a box with all the outlets build in. You can get a model with 12v only, or one with an inverter and 3 prong socket built in too.

Maybe still run a better line to the cig lighters, but you could run the fridge from the cig outlet while driving. When you get to camp take the fridge and arkpack out. Might be neater, easier and cheaper.

Charge the Arkpack from your solar panels while camping.
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 28 Mar 2017, 10:50 pm

Something worth considering with these battery setups is how much you are discharging them between cycles.

Manufactures generally recommend not discharging below 50% although the less you discharge them the better. Yes you can run them down lower however you will seriously reduce the life by regularly doing so. I have seen a lot of systems that I would consider underrated for the job in this regard.

Perhaps this will better convey what I'm talking about.

Significant difference in number of cycles huh :o

There is quite a bit more to it all, such as Peukert's Law. This is stuff worth looking at imo.. Don't just believe what the sales guy tells you, check for yourself :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Elek » 05 Apr 2017, 4:30 pm

darwindingo wrote:Manufactures generally recommend not discharging below 50% although the less you discharge them the better.

That's ordinary :wtf:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel