Portable fridge / freezer added to the 4WD

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Portable fridge / freezer added to the 4WD

Post by Lorgar » 05 Apr 2017, 4:01 pm

The auxiliary battery and all the dc-to-dc charger etc. bits are being installed tomorrow to run it properly but picked up up a Waeco 41L portable compressor freezer a few days ago and am loving it :)

Should get 48ish hours run time off the battery at camps once installed.

Had a few drinks with mates after work at the beach or whatever the last few days, amazing just to reach into the back and pull put ice cold cans instead of screwing around with ice, the wasted space, draining it blah blah blah.

I've been "thinking about it" for a year or something stupid and finally bit the bullet this week, figured I could have been enjoying it the last year instead of thinking about it :| Anyway...

Now I've got it though I am loving it, recommending for anyone thinking about it :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Portable fridge / freezer added to the 4WD

Post by BBJ » 07 Apr 2017, 8:05 am

Fantastic addition to a tourer mate :thumbsup:

Not the cheapest is the only draw back, but once you've got one it's gold!
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Apr 2017, 3:02 pm

Sounds good mate, I've got one of the Autofridges I've got to pick up from a mate of mine once I've paid for it, they are awesome fridge/freezers and you only need to run them about 5hr a day.

http://www.energymatters.com.au/autofri ... 2n18aj7dn5
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 07 Apr 2017, 8:59 pm

Those fridges there bigfellascott what price are they going out at new ?
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Apr 2017, 9:07 pm

albat wrote:Those fridges there bigfellascott what price are they going out at new ?

Not sure mate up around the $2k mark I think but you can get them 2nd hand for around $800-$1000 type thing, mates been running them for years (about 20yrs now) and they have been fantastic - danfos compressors etc.

I'll be glad when I can pick mine up!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 07 Apr 2017, 9:19 pm

My bloody chescold 3 way fridge died in the arse during that hot spell had it for 14 years so not bad i suppose very handy on gas was that fridge 2 weeks on 8kg bottle in 30 degrees no battery or solar required thinking of another one but weighing up all the options went out today and got a K2 65 litre cooler from bcf as a stop gap till the funds crank up, was told these hold ice for days on end they have very thick walls apparently they give yeti eskys in the usa a run for their money performance wise any how should be ok now its coolin down for a few days hunting
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bark » 10 Apr 2017, 11:35 am

One of the best additions to a kit if you can afford it I say :)
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel