Running cables for roof rack lamps

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Running cables for roof rack lamps

Post by brand » 05 Apr 2017, 4:26 pm

Hi guys.

I'm trying to work out where you run the cables into the car for lights mounted on your roof racks?

I've only been able to sneak peaks on other peoples trucks and couldn't see at a glimpse. Where does the cable run? Do they go through the roof with a grommet seal, or what's usual way?
brand
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Running cables for roof rack lamps

Post by brett1868 » 05 Apr 2017, 9:58 pm

Make and model of car may help, I have a 2016 Ford Ranger with a roof mounted light bar, 12v Aux & Video. I used a grommet just behind the rear passenger seat that the main light harness passes through. I ran my cables through it and up between the tub and body, using stick on cable tie mounts on the rear window to secure the cables then cable ties to secure to the roof rack.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 05 Apr 2017, 10:50 pm

I would suggest that the best course of action is to try and keep the cable run as short as possible to a suitable (and neat) location to get the power where you need it... A suitable location will be dictated by the vehicle in question..

Also don't skimp on the gauge of the wiring, particularly on longer runs. Its best to power such things directly from the battery (use a relay to tap the high beam switch and handle the load) I would also add an isolation switch between the relay and high beam circuit (I believe that is a requirement in most states and territory's unless I'm mistaken) Be sure and position an appropriately rated fuse as close as possible to the power source to mitigate any risk from shorts circuits within the instillation...

Vertical surfaces would be my preferred position for using a rubber grommet to pass the cable through btw. I can deduce from Brett's post that his grommet passes through in the recommended way.. :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Apr 2017, 6:37 am

Up through your snorkel if you have one is a great spot.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel