Navara or triton?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Navara or triton?

Post by bigfellascott » 04 May 2017, 9:54 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Nice buy on the DMAX mate, probably as safe a bet for a newish ute you can get.
As oldbloke said 4x4 is not always needed, many people would be better investing in good tyres and a 12v air compressor.

On the Navarra front, now that you know they are dodgy you will start seeing them everywhere blowing smoke, and I mean a lot more smoke than the normal regeneration you see from common rails

Tough buying a new ute these days, I feel the whole movement of making a work ute that doubles as a family car and a weekend toy sucks, it cant do all well whilst being reliable.
We have my 2000 hilux which is a weekend hunting toy, the mrs forester for shopping and family stuff and work provides a POS Navarra, yeh servicing, rego, insurance etc would cost more but how many injector replacements does it equate too?
When/if the lux craps itself I would like to regress technologically even further to a FJ40, man I love those cars.

I used to own a FJ40 SWB many years ago, it was a tough ol girl but used to drive all over the road like a drunken tart and had bad brakes and dodgy electrical system but I loved the ol girl (rolled it) unbolted the roof etc and put a roll cage and rag top on it and removed the doors, put some commodore bucket seats in it and she was good to go again - great for hunting out of with the fold down windscreen.

She was slow but got the job done most of the time and was simple to work on, not like these bloody new vehicles!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MrFishimus » 05 May 2017, 2:42 pm

I must be the other lucky Nav owner, mines a 2012 D22. I have broken stuff on it, but that's because I was doing dumb stuff, not the cars fault. Do want a pootrol or *ducks for cover* a Wrangler next to fit the kids in a bit better.
MrFishimus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 05 May 2017, 3:00 pm

Double post
Last edited by AusTac on 05 May 2017, 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by AusTac » 05 May 2017, 3:02 pm

MrFishimus wrote:I must be the other lucky Nav owner, mines a 2012 D22. I have broken stuff on it, but that's because I was doing dumb stuff, not the cars fault. Do want a pootrol or *ducks for cover* a Wrangler next to fit the kids in a bit better.

Wrangler owner here :thumbsup:

The patrol will be bigger in terms of interior space than the 4 door wrangler but the wrangers drivetrain/4x4/suspension is unbeatable in terms off offroad ability
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2017, 6:43 pm

I don't believe he got one. No pics. All BS. :twisted:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 May 2017, 7:18 pm

bentaz wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:I don't believe he got one. No pics. All BS. :twisted:

If your talking about me, the jerks say i can't pick it up till monday now.
I promise there will be pics!

Yeh, sure. :unknown:
Perhaps they are swapping the dif and donk. :violin:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 08 May 2017, 5:31 pm

Happy days! :thumbsup:

Should do you ok, mate.
Just on my personal bug bear with dual cab utes: who is the back seat for comfort?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 08 May 2017, 7:08 pm

Bentaz didn't buy a dual cab for people carrying capacity, thats the offical victorian legal gun storage shelf so as long as the guns are comfy it's all good
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 08 May 2017, 7:15 pm

AusTac wrote:Bentaz didn't buy a dual cab for people carrying capacity, thats the offical victorian legal gun storage shelf so as long as the guns are comfy it's all good

:lol: :clap: Gotta pay that
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 15 May 2017, 6:58 pm

The definitive answer to the original question is - Triton.

I was just over in RSA for a week's hunt in some really crappy territory. 30K Hectares of rock, stone, thorn and horrible roads. I really thought the Triton would drop its rhoids when we had to transport an eland and 6 people over roads that appeared to be 45 degrees in certain areas - I'm sure they weren't, but it certainly looked like it.

Just put it in low range and we pootled up the cliffs without a chirp. I have a great respect for them now (I didn't before). Two large adults in the back weren't complaining about a highway drive we did either.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel