Navara or triton?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Navara or triton?

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 20 Apr 2017, 7:20 pm

you dont want to hear? then :silent: :silent: :silent:

I have a hilux that I cant fault.... not a problem after almost 200k....

Mate was always a Tojo fan, old school FJs, hiluxs...then got a good deal on a Navara....Axle literally fell off, bunch of other catastrophes - as if it was a signal from the forby gods...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 20 Apr 2017, 7:57 pm

Price up a clutch for a d40 navara those things are crap
You know there's a problem when you can get a clutch done in under 2 hours.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 20 Apr 2017, 7:59 pm

Stick to a hilux or a cruiser
The handbrakes on those things suck but thats about the most you have to worry about
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm

I have heard tons of firsthand horror stories about the D40 Navarra engine and fuel systems going bang without warning but my work one is a 2012 with 80k and had no issues thus far.
That being said it is a pig offroad and I much prefer my 2000 hilux which i have pimped as a weekend rig instead, i will be flogging off the navarra when the extended lease is up.
Bigjobss

Post by AusTac » 20 Apr 2017, 8:00 pm

Not thinking of getting rid of the turd are we? :o

For those years a triton

Or a 4x4 rangie/bt50
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by duncan61 » 20 Apr 2017, 8:04 pm

Nissan and Toyota are usually well made vehicles the Mitshibishi is built down a bit which is why they are cheaper.Most people in the motor trade are aware of this once the Tritons get a bit of age on them they tend to start to fall to pieces and the petrol motors are good for about 250 thou k where a petrol Nissan or Toyota will go to about 400 thou k diesels are different
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by 99problems » 20 Apr 2017, 8:15 pm

if no cruiser or hilux,

2013 Isuzu Dmax. Bullett proof engine. Better than the hilux 3lt anyway.
99problems
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Apr 2017, 8:40 pm

So far I'm happy with my diesel Triton. Must be 3 years old now. Towing and light 4x4 driving.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 20 Apr 2017, 8:47 pm

99problems wrote:if no cruiser or hilux,

Yeh gotta agree Dmax and the Colorado engines are so much better then the Hilux more power pretty reliable (no offence to hilux lovers) now i think the dmax uses a small truck engine they tune to suit a car so should last years. Plus 2009-20012 the car is made in same factory so just different badge and trim.

I own a D22 Navara wouldn't buy one again, the 2.5l engines are junk, uncle has a D40 with same engine and there are all kinds of problems, plus remeber on the news few months back the d40's snapping in half in the UK.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Apr 2017, 9:03 pm

A mate has the D40 Navara and in the past 12 months he's replaced the fuel pump, turbo, both front hubs and a heap of other little bits and pieces. If you love working on cars and have plenty of money then the D40 is perfect for you. I've got no knowledge of the Bitsamissing so can't comment.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 20 Apr 2017, 9:04 pm

Triton try get the 3.2td motor
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 20 Apr 2017, 9:18 pm

rsj223 wrote:Triton try get the 3.2td motor

I used to rent one for work, much preffered it over the later models
Bigjobss

Post by AusTac » 20 Apr 2017, 10:05 pm

If you can stretch to a dmax mate there worth a gander, engines pretty solid from what i hear, a fella i know beats his up like it owes him money, and it's held up
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Mitch » 21 Apr 2017, 4:47 am

Navara = s**t

Had one, regret it, sold it
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 21 Apr 2017, 6:27 am

Navara are crap. Do NOT buy one! Handling, torque, jp, braking, comfort; all very sub standard.

Triton have some foibles but are pretty good. Of the two, this would be my choice.

Single or dual can???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Mongrel » 21 Apr 2017, 6:42 am

99problems wrote:if no cruiser or hilux,

+1.....dmax's are awesome utes and the engines just keep goin and goin :)
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 21 Apr 2017, 2:53 pm

Tritons are the most "car like" to drive of the lot, i reckon. Handle well, accelerate and brake very well. If you are mostly using it for a rural run about, they handle well and are comfortable; including the back seat. If you plan taking your kids on long drives a comfortable back seat is crucial. Most dual cab utes have back seats that are pretty much vertical and spine jarringly uncomfortable. I wouldn't be inclined to try any serious 4wd'ing in a Triton but for general off road stuff you'd do camping/hunting/fishing, no probs.
I was looking at utes whilst in Melb last week and the Amarok was also very comfy but may be out of your price range. A mate drives one for work and says they are great vehicles to drive as well: comfortable and good all'round power delivery, etc.. Good ute.
The BT/Ranger are also a good vehicle from all reports but again, the back seat would send your spine through your skull. Never looked at the Isuzu/Holden so can't comment.

As for Hilux, they made the last good one in about 2004 and are now trading on an aging reputation: in my opinion, anyway.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Apr 2017, 8:32 am

Reckon it will do you well. Just get it well checked over by a good mechanic and keep on top of maintenance. They're not known as Bitzarmissing for nothing! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

Bit late to the party but, the company I contract to at the mine has a mechanical repair workshop in town and would average one Nissan engine rebuild/replacement a fortnight. Had three turn up in one week. If you stand quietly beside one you can hear "tick...tick...tick..." :lol:
Not a matter of if they will blow up, just when. :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 26 Apr 2017, 9:02 am

So 3 inch lift, 33" tyres, some bar work a winch and canopy, yeah? Uterus 2.0 is born
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Apr 2017, 10:38 am

Should fit a few shotties in those draws! :lol: :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 04 May 2017, 11:25 am

Was going to ask what you ended up with mate, thats good news :) new or used? Can't go wrong
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2017, 4:29 pm

Unless you use it a lot 4x4 is over rated. Clearance is more important IMO.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 May 2017, 5:22 pm

bentaz wrote:In the end that wat my thought to, still be able to shoot from it, camping and stuff will still be very do-able :drinks:

Yep, add a set of snow chains or tirfer and you have a poor mans 4x4.
After reading here about the navara bloody glad I got a Triton.

You shoulda seen where I took the i30 last week. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2017, 6:52 pm

At least it doesn't have a Ford or Holden badge on it so that's a good start! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2017, 7:10 pm

Haha!
Yep, Colorados are just rebadged D-max and the new rangers are rebadged bt-50s. Buy it from the people who make 'em, I say! ;) :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 May 2017, 7:29 pm

Definitely don't buy a 2.5ltr Triton or I think they made a slightly bigger one, anyway heaps of em had engine problems ie needed engines replaced under warranty due to manufacturing problems (mate's had 2 engines now and another bloke he was telling me about has had 3 or 4 so far! Fark that for a joke.

I believe the 3.2ltrs are better but if it was me I'd look at buying something old and rebuilding it (would be more reliable and cheaper to maintain) clutches on these new bred can cost up around 2.5k + installation, injectors are expensive (around $3k plus) for a set) my mechanic mate had a prado in that s**t itself and it was a $12k plus rebuild of the motor - these new vehicles are as dear as poison to maintain when things s**t emselves
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sam45 » 04 May 2017, 7:44 pm

Any consultation I own the New Model Nav ( NP 300 ) and it is the same as the old ones... a massive POS! $52K + $10K worth of accessories and I HATE it! Unreliable piece of junk! It has blown 2 intercooler hoses off, early hours of the morning in the middle of nowhere, on my way hunting.... Towed to the closest dealer....

Had it since June 2015 (new ) Also had the whole rear window replaced, the base of the seat replaced, the warning switch in the seat belt, replaced twice. Went to trade it and they offered me $30K. :crazy:

Stay away from them lol. To be perfectly honest, all new cars have issues, some more than others. I wish I had of bought a second hand Cruiser or Hilux. Old school. Would have been a mile in front. :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ed9362 » 04 May 2017, 7:49 pm

i must be lucky,
i have a 2009 D22 navara, i bought in new and over the last 8 years it has done about 160K and only problem i have had was injectors being replaced under warranty. other than that it has been a great rig
Ed9362
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 04 May 2017, 8:26 pm

Nice buy on the DMAX mate, probably as safe a bet for a newish ute you can get.
As oldbloke said 4x4 is not always needed, many people would be better investing in good tyres and a 12v air compressor.

On the Navarra front, now that you know they are dodgy you will start seeing them everywhere blowing smoke, and I mean a lot more smoke than the normal regeneration you see from common rails

Tough buying a new ute these days, I feel the whole movement of making a work ute that doubles as a family car and a weekend toy sucks, it cant do all well whilst being reliable.
We have my 2000 hilux which is a weekend hunting toy, the mrs forester for shopping and family stuff and work provides a POS Navarra, yeh servicing, rego, insurance etc would cost more but how many injector replacements does it equate too?
When/if the lux craps itself I would like to regress technologically even further to a FJ40, man I love those cars.
Bigjobss

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel