Old Man Emu suspension for loaded cruiser.

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Old Man Emu suspension for loaded cruiser.

Post by Wes » 21 Apr 2017, 3:07 pm

Hi guys,

Adding gear to the cruiser has reached the point it's sagging noticeably in the bag (and I'm sure the front too), between the bar, racks, gear, people etc. we probably have 350kg - 400kg most times, plus extra here and there.

I think a suspension replacement is about due for the new requirements, and for performance benefits with a lift in there too.

Anyone using or used Old Man Emu? Price seems decent (not cheap) fitted for quality of reviews I'm reading?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Old Man Emu suspension for loaded cruiser.

Post by AusTac » 21 Apr 2017, 3:17 pm

Not personally but i know a few people who snap the older shock shaft, they have a new coilover system the bp-11 ( i think ) which seems worth a look, if your in Vic have a chat to Guest 4x4 they specialize in cruisers
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by gherx » 21 Apr 2017, 3:31 pm

EFS gets good a good write up everywhere I see, if you go off the OME :thumbsup:
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 99problems » 21 Apr 2017, 5:28 pm

I've had OME on my last couple of cruisers, been happy with it. Put Ironman on the wife's about 12 months ago, no difference in quality, fair bit cheaper to. Will be going with Ironman on the next cruiser, I'm not will to pay the ARB tax anymore. If you are putting in 400kg I would be looking at airbags as well. Airbags are great on land turtles, as with everything else, don't load them up to much and you won't have any problems.
99problems
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 21 Apr 2017, 5:52 pm

gherx wrote:EFS gets good a good write up everywhere I see, if you go off the OME :thumbsup:

After fitting a bar, spotties and 12,000lb winch my 2000 hilux was struggling a bit so recently had an EFS upgrade done including alround 2" lift - one trip in and its feels great so far, time will tell but i went into it after a bit of research and for $1700 fitted inc. torsion bars i was sold.
Bigjobss

Post by Die Judicii » 28 May 2017, 8:28 pm

Been there, done that.

I wouldn't touch OME suspension stuff with a 40 foot barge pole, even if it were 1/2 the price, and some-one paid me to use it.

Once bitten thrice shy. :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Growler » 29 May 2017, 5:28 am

TJM XGS Gold is also worth having a look at
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 30 May 2017, 3:44 pm

I have OME in my 2010 Lux 0 trouble so far in 160,000k. Only gripe and it's with Toyota not OME is the front end on most of these Utes is now a coilover strut but the bushing in the strut takes all the load of the ute and you can't buy replacement bushes so had to get new struts even though the struts themselves were in good condition still. Had ironman in my old leafy hilux and shockers were stuffed and leaking after about 80,000k.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 30 May 2017, 10:22 pm

If your after something else i run FOX 2.0 shocks, pretty happy with them after about 5000 kms so far on some pretty harsh terrain and roads
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gamerancher » 31 May 2017, 8:35 am

You are probably at the limit of the vehicles carrying capacity, hence the sagging. Take it to a weighbridge and see what it weighs. Compare that to its rated GVM.
If a vehicle is overloaded, it's overloaded. A suspension upgrade may make it "sit-up" but it will still be overloaded.
Try this for an article that may be of interest.

https://www.4x4australia.com.au/gear/16 ... -explained
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 31 May 2017, 11:58 am

Fitted O.M Emu to my troop carrier many years ago. It's a leaf spring model. The improvement on and off road is worth the dollars. How that helps your loading sag I don't know but it will improve the vehicles overall handling.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by SendIt » 04 Jul 2017, 2:21 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Been there, done that.

I wouldn't touch OME suspension stuff with a 40 foot barge pole, even if it were 1/2 the price, and some-one paid me to use it.

Once bitten thrice shy. :thumbsdown:

What was the story mate?

Other than price stinging a bit OME usually get a good word when asked.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel