Steel rear bar worth it

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Steel rear bar worth it

Post by Aussier » 23 Jun 2017, 10:25 am

To anyone who's purchased replacement steel rear bars for their 4WD, what did you think in the end?

They're a fair bit of cash, and extra weight.

All in all do you think you really get your moneys worth out of them or is it a 'nice to have' if you can afford it type bit?
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Steel rear bar worth it

Post by AusTac » 23 Jun 2017, 10:43 am

Depends what your doing i think, i want one but its not high on my list of future mods, and i only really want one for a place to store fuel as i start going further and further into the bush, a must it your doing rocks or big steps/ledges, my rear bars coped it when i get a bit over zelous on drop offs lol
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 23 Jun 2017, 3:02 pm

I've got one on my hilux. It's paid for itself heaps of times.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 26 Jun 2017, 11:57 am

AusTac wrote:Depends what your doing i think, i want one but its not high on my list of future mods, and i only really want one for a place to store fuel as i start going further and further into the bush

Ditto. It would basically be a (water) jerry can holder for me, so at $2k plus the permanently added weight/fuel costs I just can't justify it. At this stage anyway.

I have a 150L tank in my turbo diesel truck so can't really say I need the extra fuel. I got from Melbourne to Cooktown and back, filling up semi regularly, without ever having less than 300km of range left it in.

Another tick in the 'no' column for me.

AusTac wrote:a must it your doing rocks or big steps/ledges, my rear bars coped it when i get a bit over zelous on drop offs lol

In the back of my mind I occasionally hope for this... If I drop on something and shatter my factory/plastic rear bar I have a better excuse to look at a steel one! haha.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 27 Jun 2017, 10:34 am

Good thing to get already fitted on a second hand 4x4 if you're buying one.

Doesn't really add to the resale value you're paying for.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wes » 30 Jun 2017, 1:12 pm

When I win lotto :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 03 Jul 2017, 11:29 am

I need one badly for my vdj76 as the factory rear bar is basically cosmetic, bashed up the plastic corners dropping into ruts on multiple occasions and there is no provision for using a high lift.If i had a ute i most likely wouldn't have an issue, but on a wagon i regret not putting on one mine when i got bullbar, ill get around to it one day! Also they are essential for big rubber on steel rims, if you hang one of factory spare holder on rear door you thrash hinges out in not time driving on corrugations.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gregg » 28 Aug 2017, 4:44 pm

If you're on deep enough terrain you're smashing the bumper up all the time that's sensible, for most drivers though I reckon they're not really needed.

Only exceptions really being if you have increased tyres sizes that wont fit on the factory rear door like Dunxy said, or are lugging a second spare and need the extra load bearing of the rear bar.

Looks good on a 70 series though, don't they Dunxy :thumbsup:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Dunxy » 28 Aug 2017, 6:31 pm

Gregg,If i stop buying firearms maybe oneday ill get one and mine will look better!

Id never bother with a ute but they are pretty much a must on a wagon if you value straight panels and high lift points. Ill take a pic of whats happened to mine without a rear bar tomorrow in the daylight.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 29 Aug 2017, 1:18 pm

Dunxy wrote:If i stop buying firearms

Yeah? How's that going? :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 02 Sep 2017, 7:21 am

Depends on your rig I guess, my old Hilux has a pretty solid factory metal bumper that is pretty trashed now but it is still there, does not look pretty at all but it does the job, I would rather spend the cash on some rock sliders
Bigjobss

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel