4X4 tyres

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

4X4 tyres

Post by pete1 » 24 Jun 2017, 7:51 pm

Ok so need some 4X4 tyres and wanting to know if anyone has any recommendations for tyres they have found to give good grip and good value
Looking for a heavy A/T or light M/T if that makes sense
would be about 245/75/16 but got room to go bigger.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thanks
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: 4X4 tyres

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 Jun 2017, 8:27 pm

Your really need to decide if you want AT or MT. We used to run Cooper STT's on our work Ute's. Great in the mud, pretty ordinary on road. You'd need to spend a lot of time off road to justify it IMO. on my hilux I've had the 5 rib Mickey Thompson AT, Bridgestone Dueller AT, and I'm currently running Cooper AT3. So far the coopers have been the best. Although the tread isn't visibly much more aggressive than the Duellers, they give heaps more traction in wet paddocks and on clay tracks. I wasn't overly impressed with life span of the Duellers. Although the coopers were a bit more coin, so far I'm happy that I spent the extra.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Jun 2017, 8:32 pm

I've been really happy with Goodyear DuraTracs and Kevlars, neither ever gave me any trouble at all 2 sets of kevlars and one set of duratracs got some BFs cos the local had them in stock but had to order the GYs had a BF delaminate internally at about 20,000 replaced no questions which is a testament to BF and my dealer but makes me question how much I'd trust them off-road in the outback.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jeff303 » 24 Jun 2017, 8:37 pm

Bfg's
Jeff303
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 Jun 2017, 9:07 pm

Jeff303 wrote:Bfg's

They put BFG TA's on the work hilux's when they decided not to go with the STT's anymore. They seem to last well, but they're not as good on slippery tracks as the Cooper AT3.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 24 Jun 2017, 9:32 pm

Swear by my BFG KO2's ( all terrain ) yeah they get a bit slippery in hard core mud but they've survived all the abuse i've put them through so far, had them about 30,000 kms
Last edited by AusTac on 24 Jun 2017, 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by albat » 24 Jun 2017, 9:50 pm

+1 goodyear duratrack kevlar had 2 sets on 2 differnt utes heaps of offroad and track work good on road a tad noisy though on road
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 25 Jun 2017, 12:44 am

I had goodyear roadgrippers on my Nissan Patrol and found them tough in the bush and quiet on the hiway and very long wearing
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Mitch » 25 Jun 2017, 6:27 am

FWIW the inlaws are on a farm, found bfg no good, coopers worse, good year better, but mickey Thompson has been best of those mentioned
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 26 Jun 2017, 12:26 pm

AusTac wrote:Swear by my BFG KO2's ( all terrain ) yeah they get a bit slippery in hard core mud but they've survived all the abuse i've put them through so far, had them about 30,000 kms

I've been running KO2's on mine for the last 18 months / 90,000km and have been very happy with them.

Mine have taken me from Victoria to Northern Queensland and back and didn't miss a beat. Dirt, rocks, mud, rivers, super-soft sand, wet, dry... everything.

And they're good on the road, relatively speaking.

(Not having a go at you AusTac with this next bit, just talking Mud Terrain in general)

People always go on about mud, but how often are any of us in mud that A/T's won't get us through, really? A couple of times a year?

For me going M/T's would be notably better half a dozen times a year, no different in 95% of the time, and worse on the road for my daily commute every day.

I go four-wheeling about once a month, I've been all across Victoria, lots of NSW and QLD, and a little of SA and never been stopped by mud. There was always a way to get through.

IMO unless you're going out in serious mud a couple of times a month MT's are not the best choice (putting them on for a specific trip like the Cape or something would be the other exception too of course).

A/T's dropped down to suitable pressures will get you through 95% of places M/T's will, and on the occasions you get stuck, well, that's what winches and snatch straps are for ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 26 Jun 2017, 12:58 pm

Fwiw I run all over the Cape on hankook A/Ts and never had an issue great value for money. If I had more dollars would probably go mickey Thompsons. Wouldn't run coopers again if I was given a set. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 26 Jun 2017, 1:32 pm

If you want to go off road...... even now and then..... and you don't like calling up your buddy to pull you out.... GET MUD TYRES..... simples.

Do you need to spend BFG or COOPERS money? No. By all means spend 2x as much as you could... :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by AusTac » 26 Jun 2017, 2:22 pm

I hear and see maxxis go well off road on a mates rig if your on a budget, bit of a more open rip off of bfg's tread pattern
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by VICHunter » 27 Jun 2017, 10:33 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:If you want to go off road...... even now and then..... and you don't like calling up your buddy to pull you out.... GET MUD TYRES..... simples.

Completely disagree. Heaps off off-roading can be done perfectly well without mud terrains?

Perfect examples above covering the cape, the entire east coast and so on.

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Do you need to spend BFG or COOPERS money? No. By all means spend 2x as much as you could... :lol:

All I see is someone knocking things.

Got any useful suggestions?
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 27 Jun 2017, 12:44 pm

AusTac wrote:I hear and see maxxis go well off road on a mates rig if your on a budget, bit of a more open rip off of bfg's tread pattern

I use Maxxis MT because my paddocks get very greasy in the winter. I don't really do any "mud work" but the aggressive tread help a bit getting around the block. They may not be the "best" but i am on my 3rd set (now MTs, woriginally running ATs) in 11 years. Got nearly 5 years each from the first two and i probably do the average of 20,000km/year so at a guess nearly 100,000km per set, at least 80,000. I'm not a big petrol head so i don't know exactly what's good or bad but that seems OK to me. They are the 'most affordable' ones i can find.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 27 Jun 2017, 4:55 pm

VICHunter wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:If you want to go off road...... even now and then..... and you don't like calling up your buddy to pull you out.... GET MUD TYRES..... simples.

Completely disagree. Heaps off off-roading can be done perfectly well without mud terrains?

Perfect examples above covering the cape, the entire east coast and so on.

<<Genesis93>> wrote:Do you need to spend BFG or COOPERS money? No. By all means spend 2x as much as you could... :lol:

All I see is someone knocking things.

Got any useful suggestions?

I was providing an opinion...you can go and do your 'off roading' with your street tyres...

Apart from that, you can go an place your head in your darkest orifice :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by AusTac » 27 Jun 2017, 5:53 pm

Just went down to the tyre shop and swapped my street tyres for some real off road ones, what do you fellas think? :roll:
Attachments
images (1).jpg
images (1).jpg (12.09 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Browning » 27 Jun 2017, 5:57 pm

Bit harsh Genesis. I agree agree with VicHunter and reckon 90%+ of off-roading can be done perfectly fine on all-terrains and without needing at mate to drag you out. In fact, I see just as many people bogged with MT as AT. Usually the MT people think just because they've got muds, they can do anything.
Prolly more important than the MT/AT argument would be tire pressures and driver input. Both of those will get you further than tread type.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jun 2017, 7:01 am

AusTac wrote:Just went down to the tyre shop and swapped my street tyres for some real off road ones, what do you fellas think? :roll:

Looks like "Mardi Gras cammo to me. ...I do worry about you southern boys. :D :D
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 28 Jun 2017, 7:35 am

Daddybang wrote:
Looks like "Mardi Gras cammo to me. ...I do worry about you southern boys. :D :D

Hey mate come on now, i'm not Tasmanian :silent:
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jun 2017, 7:54 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 28 Jun 2017, 9:41 am

Browning wrote:Bit harsh Genesis. I agree agree with VicHunter and reckon 90%+ of off-roading can be done perfectly fine on all-terrains and without needing at mate to drag you out. In fact, I see just as many people bogged with MT as AT. Usually the MT people think just because they've got muds, they can do anything.
Prolly more important than the MT/AT argument would be tire pressures and driver input. Both of those will get you further than tread type.

It's all good mate.

He's just showing further with the latest reply he's got nothing to contribute on the topic.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 10:30 am

VICHunter wrote:
Browning wrote:Bit harsh Genesis. I agree agree with VicHunter and reckon 90%+ of off-roading can be done perfectly fine on all-terrains and without needing at mate to drag you out. In fact, I see just as many people bogged with MT as AT. Usually the MT people think just because they've got muds, they can do anything.

It's all good mate.

He's just showing further with the latest reply he's got nothing to contribute on the topic.

I need to get a portable compressor and learn what pressures to use but until i moved to this property, ATs suited all the track and light off road stuff i did for camping & fishing. I also can't drop the pressure for getting about the block and then have to inflate them everytime i need to hit the tarmac.
I really need a new vehicle and use the uterus as a property work truck; that's another story all together.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 28 Jun 2017, 12:44 pm

You still slipping with muds in your paddocks Gwion?

Airing up and down all the time is a pain in the arse, i try to do as little of it as i can without feeling guiltt about what i'm putting my poor tyres/4wd through
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 28 Jun 2017, 1:07 pm

There are a couple of spots I occasionally go where I still lose traction but it's no big deal, really. I just avoid those routes in certain conditions.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lorgar » 28 Jun 2017, 4:05 pm

Gwion wrote:I need to get a portable compressor and learn what pressures to use but until i moved to this property, ATs suited all the track and light off road stuff i did for camping & fishing. I also can't drop the pressure for getting about the block and then have to inflate them everytime i need to hit the tarmac.
I really need a new vehicle and use the uterus as a property work truck; that's another story all together.

A portable air compressor is about top of the list for off-roading I reckon.

One of the cheaper accessories too as far as four wheel driving kit goes, and easily one of the most useful.

Stops you getting stuck, gets you places you just couldn't go at road pressures, saves your tyres, throw in a $50 puncture kit and can effectively work as a number of spare tyres.

Must have.

(Just be sure to get one with a decent duty cycle.)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 28 Jun 2017, 7:52 pm

BFG KM2 muddies are some of the best on the market today, the older model had mixed oppinions but the new generation is pretty much universally loved, i have had mine for a year now and road noise is about the same as my old BFG KO A/Ts that I had for 6 years and 70k. Only got rid of them due to age otherwise there was plenty of tread left.

The new BFG KO2 A/Ts look good too with the new agressive side wall,a mate has them an has clocked up 20k in the last 6 months and they look good as new.

Whatever you do dont cheap out on tyres, everyone has heard the statement that they're the only point of contact between your car and the road, think about that.
I have had a cheap tyre blow out at 110km/h and its not fun.
Bigjobss

Post by Lorgar » 29 Jun 2017, 9:12 pm

Bigjobss wrote:The new BFG KO2 A/Ts look good too with the new agressive side wall,a mate has them an has clocked up 20k in the last 6 months and they look good as new.

I've got the original A/T KO's. I can't remember clearly to be honest but I think I've done about 45,000 km on them? and they still look much the same.

A mate has the new ones on his D-Max, I reckon they look good too, the new sidewalls are definitely a step up.

The new ones are what I plan to get when my original ones are done.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 29 Jun 2017, 10:00 pm

Lorgar wrote: the new sidewalls are definitely a step up

Thats what i have, my tyres stick out about a inch from the flares ( yes naughty me ) but the it means the sidewalls the first thing to hit against a flat bank or whatever, has gotten me out of a few sticky situations
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 04 Jul 2017, 1:56 pm

Would be handy.

Mine are flush, I've had more than a few tense moments sliding along a deep rut where I thought any second I was going to hear the grinding of panels against the ground :lol:

Hasn't caught me out just yet though thankfully.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel