Putting conduit on winch power cables

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Putting conduit on winch power cables

Post by Wes » 30 Jun 2017, 1:11 pm

Who has run their winch power cables etc. through that ribbed flexible conduit?

Or who didn't bother?

:drinks:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Putting conduit on winch power cables

Post by Tom Foolery » 30 Jun 2017, 6:07 pm

Short version: A bit of extra protection never goes astray, especially around the winch itself and any rub points.

Long version: What you should avoid is having tight wires that cause pressure on hard or sharp edges and strain on lugs/connectors that when subject to heat, vibration and wear and tear will cause broken wires, failed connections and abraded insulation i.e. short circuit to chassis if the vehicle. Also avoid loose or flappy wires for the same reasons.

Flexible conduit is a useful means of preventing most of the above although it still needs to be secured in some way.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 02 Jul 2017, 4:07 pm

There will unavoidably be some contact points with your cables that will rub.

It takes 5 minutes extra to conduit the cables when installing the winch and could potentially save you hours lately troubleshooting/reinstalling it if a cable rubs through and shorts.

Or worse fails when you really need it, leaving you stranded for who knows how long.

If it's worth doing, it's worth doing properly ;)
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by AusTac » 02 Jul 2017, 4:14 pm

Yeah mate, i put the conduit full way up, from terminal to contact on the winch, also put heat shrink at the ends and then some electy tape just to ensure it's all good, a fuse/master switch as close to the battery as you can get is usefull in the unlikely event a short occurs
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 02 Jul 2017, 5:39 pm

Yep. Use it everywhere you can. It helps stops friction chaffing of the insulation, especially on off road vehicles where sand and dust is more frequent. It's also UV stabilised

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 02 Jul 2017, 6:28 pm

+1 for all the above.

The first winch I fitted I didn't use conduit, had the cables running between the plastic front bar and the top/rear of the bullbar against the steel edge.

It's slow, I had it like that for months without any trouble, but the cables on the plastic bumper were gradually rubbing through the bumper and the insulation. Only a fraction of a mm had worn in that time but it was happening.

Fit the conduit. :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 02 Jul 2017, 6:34 pm

Oh, on fitting it too, you don't necessarily have to disconnect everything to feed it through conduit tubing either.

You can get some one that has a slit the length of the conduit, so it snaps over the already fitted cables.

From memory I got 13mm or 16mm diametre stuff, a 3 metre length, from Bunnings for $10 or something.

Fit just about perfect, a few cable ties along each length to keep it in place and it's good as gold.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Monty » 04 Jul 2017, 12:10 pm

Narva is the brand at Bunnings which makes what Lorgar is talking about :thumbsup:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/narva-16mm- ... g_p4331379
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel