Jump starting off deep-cycle battery

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Jump starting off deep-cycle battery

Post by Antie » 10 Jul 2017, 4:02 pm

Can you jump-start a flat one off a deep-cycle auxiliary battery?

Not sure about all this cranking stuff.
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Jump starting off deep-cycle battery

Post by rsj223 » 10 Jul 2017, 6:03 pm

Can be done (jump started) but not recommended
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 10 Jul 2017, 6:12 pm

depending on the vehicle you could spike the computer and I have found that running a car from a flat battery taxes the alternator sometimes to death.Is it not possible to recharge or get a new battery
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 10 Jul 2017, 6:58 pm

Depending on the size of the batteries and the vehicle in question, you should be able to jump start the vehicle but I would not be doing it on a regular basis. My pajero was actually wired with a "boost" switch that allowed charge from the deep cycle battery to "supplement" the crank battery if you flattened the crank battery. I used it once when the crank died on me, it worked a treat. It doesn't "charge" the crank battery though, and certainly isn't a "fix" for a stuffed battery
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 10 Jul 2017, 10:39 pm

There are computers in modern cars that control the major and minor functions – jumpstarting your car can damage them
There’s a bigger risk of doing damage when you jumpstart a modern car compared with a pre-2000 model
There are a lot more complex electronic systems in today’s cars than those of a decade, or even five years ago, which is why jumpstarting your car is never a good idea.

Great gains in luxury and convenience have come with the extra electronics, which have given rise to features such as satellite navigation and Bluetooth connectivity, and life-saving safety equipment such as airbags and electronic stability control.
“The big change from then to now is computers and it’s not as if a modern car has just one – a Mercedes-Benz S-Class from a few years ago has 64 ECUs (Electronic Control Units),” he said. “Hooking up jumper leads can zap these computers.

“Jaguar warned us that you could damage the whole wiring harness if you try to jumpstart one of their cars, and that warning is probably applicable to most vehicles built in the past five years.

“A five-year-old Audi was recently taken to an NRMA approved repairer with an electrical system so badly damaged by an attempted jumpstart that, in the end, it was actually cheaper to write the car off rather than repairing the damage.”

“Well-meaning car owners can do massive damage very easily,” Darrin says.
I have copied and pasted this it could me a myth but when I did an autogas installation and servicing course at TAFE we were warned about spiking computers with voltage surges when working on certain cars.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 12 Jul 2017, 4:05 pm

I had to jump a mates near dead-flat X-Trail a while back, I lazily tried off the deep-cycle to start because it was closer, in this case it didn't have the juice to turn it over.

Had to re-position my truck so my starter couch reach theirs with the cable to get it to turn over.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 14 Jul 2017, 12:51 pm

Provided your deep cycle has enough juice, yes you can use it to start up if your cranking battery is flat. Should you use a deep cycle for regular cranking - not unless you want to ruin the battery.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Atter » 08 Aug 2017, 4:03 pm

It's possible depending on how short of turning over the other car is, but really isn't what the deep-cycle are designed to do.

You'd always be advised to jump off a starter instead.
Tikka T3 Hunter .260 Remington
Tikka T3 Sporter 6.5x55 SE
CZ 513 .22LR
Atter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 08 Aug 2017, 4:28 pm

Ya can buy deep cycle /cranking hybrid batteries these days :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Aug 2017, 10:40 pm

Your on the side of a track with a flat battery.
Your just going to jump start it with what is in your mates car. You have no other option.
Your not going to drive 200km to buy a special battery.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 09 Aug 2017, 7:00 am

Oldbloke wrote:Your on the side of a track with a flat battery.
Your just going to jump start it with what is in your mates car. You have no other option.
Your not going to drive 200km to buy a special battery.

Ya right . But for the blokes who go bush by themselves putting a hybrid battery in when setting up their deep cycle system is an option is all I'm saying. That way Ya have the option of using the deep cycle to crank if it becomes necessary :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Aug 2017, 8:39 pm

Yep
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel