Mounting Hi-Lift jack on the bullbar

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Mounting Hi-Lift jack on the bullbar

Post by Lorgar » 12 Jul 2017, 4:08 pm

I'm trying to juggle a little weight around the car, and moving the Hi-Lift jack off the roof would conveniently solve my problem in 1 swoop.

What are peoples thoughts on mounting it on the top of the bullbar?

I see this done a bit, I have 2 UHF mounts on each side of the top of my bar which would basically be perfect for this.

My concern is what the jack adds to the mix in the event of an accident.

Either by damaging the jack and mounts in what would have otherwise been a damage free (to me) fender bender.

Or in a serious accident the jack breaking free and ending up who knows where.

:unknown:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Mounting Hi-Lift jack on the bullbar

Post by pete1 » 12 Jul 2017, 5:07 pm

Depending on how you did it, it may be illegal.
You can not have anything interfere with your vision to the ground to a certain distance, even though Uhf antennas seem to be fine, once had a problem with a roadworthy so just removed the antenna and put it back on after roadworthy.
I have known people getting in trouble up Mansfield with light bar on there bull bar for impairing vision.
You can also not have any sharp edges or objects protruding the bull bar.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 12 Jul 2017, 5:22 pm

pete1 wrote:I have known people getting in trouble up Mansfield with light bar on there bonnet.

Bloody Mansfield! I've always avoided it because of all the stories lol

If you can slip it down behind the hoop, in front of all your important parts like your radiator and winch then it may be do-able, but if your going to do that as has been said nothing sharp/pedestrian hurting can be above the hoop or sticking out and id make sure its a bloody tough mount other wise it may end up in the cab during a crash, personally id chuck it in the bin because i see them as useless, but the roof racks or tyre carrier are pretty popular for a reason
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Jul 2017, 5:44 pm

"You can also not have any sharp edges or objects protruding the bull bar."

Thats because they kill pedestrians. All those fancy statues etc on the bonnet have to fold down for a few years now.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Jul 2017, 7:19 pm

pete1 wrote:Depending on how you did it, it may be illegal.

Haven't done it at all yet. It's currently mounted in the usual spot on the side of the roof rack.

AusTac wrote:personally id chuck it in the bin because i see them as useless, but the roof racks or tyre carrier are pretty popular for a reason

I've only used mine twice to be honest, once to lift up the front then push the truck front sideways out of a rut, that was before I had my winch however so now I have a possible alternative there.

Second time was to lift a sunken truck in the sand and stick the maxtrax under without having to dig to China. Could have got the job done without it but it was far faster and less tiring to jack the front than the alternative digging.

It's like any piece of safety gear I guess, you carry it in the hope you won't use it but have it 'just in case'.

But at 15kg it eats into the roof weight limit fast for something your just lugging around 99% of the time.

I've been reluctant to put it on the spare wheel on the back door, to avoid adding the extra weight/stress to the door. I also have a reversing camera and the usual mount would block that. Not willing to lose the camera so need an alternative mounting system if that's what I end up doing.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 12 Jul 2017, 7:35 pm

trolley jack
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 12 Jul 2017, 8:08 pm

What about a trolley jack?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 12 Jul 2017, 8:10 pm

Lorgar wrote:
pete1 wrote:Depending on how you did it, it may be illegal.

Haven't done it at all yet. It's currently mounted in the usual spot on the side of the roof rack.

AusTac wrote:personally id chuck it in the bin because i see them as useless, but the roof racks or tyre carrier are pretty popular for a reason

I've only used mine twice to be honest, once to lift up the front then push the truck front sideways out of a rut, that was before I had my winch however so now I have a possible alternative there.

Second time was to lift a sunken truck in the sand and stick the maxtrax under without having to dig to china. Could have got the job done without it but it was faster and less tiring to jack the front than the alternative digging.

It's like any piece of safety gear I guess, you carry it in the hope you won't use it but have it 'just in case'.

But at 15kg it eats into the roof weight limit fast for something your just lugging around 99% of the time.

I've been reluctant to put it on the spare wheel on the back door, to avoid adding the extra weight/stress to the door. I also have a reversing camera and the usual mount would block that. Not willing to lose the camera so need an alternative mounting system if that's what I end up doing.

Correction: Should say do not did, woops.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 12 Jul 2017, 9:48 pm

Air jack?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Mitch » 13 Jul 2017, 4:54 am

Sick Bird!!
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 13 Jul 2017, 11:45 am

do you have a rear bar to mount it too
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jul 2017, 10:55 am

pete1 wrote:Correction: Should say do not did, woops.

Gotcha.

Bent Arrow wrote:Air jack?

Not looking to swap it for an alternative system, I bought the hi-lift as I prefer it for my purposes.

Mitch wrote:Sick Bird!!

You've lost me :lol:

pomemax wrote:do you have a rear bar to mount it too

No rear bar, realistically I'm unlikely to buy one either. Certainly not in a time frame that would be worth considering for this fix.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 14 Jul 2017, 11:04 am

Hey lorgar do you have side steps?. Have seen a few with wallaby jacks mounted on the step. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 14 Jul 2017, 12:23 pm

Lorgar wrote:
Mitch wrote:Sick Bird!!

You've lost me :lol:

Sick Bird = Illegal (ill eagle)
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 16 Jul 2017, 1:56 pm

Daddybang wrote:Hey lorgar do you have side steps?. Have seen a few with wallaby jacks mounted on the step. :thumbsup:

This sounds like a good solution. Legal or not, i don't think i'd be happy with a hi-lift mounted to my bull bar.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lorgar » 17 Jul 2017, 3:50 pm

Daddybang wrote:Hey lorgar do you have side steps?. Have seen a few with wallaby jacks mounted on the step. :thumbsup:

I currently have the factory steps (feeble plastic, not steel protection) that I'm sticking with until they get bashed off and warrant replacement. Down the road though that's a possibility for another position tweak.

Mitch wrote:Sick Bird = Illegal (ill eagle)

Ah gotcha :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Seik » 25 Jan 2018, 7:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"You can also not have any sharp edges or objects protruding the bull bar."

Thats because they kill pedestrians. All those fancy statues etc on the bonnet have to fold down for a few years now.

Yeah, they'd have otherwise been fine when 2 tonnes of steel crashed into them if it wasn't for those damn hood ornaments :roll:

Our pols come up with some ripper laws in the logic department :roll:
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2018, 11:31 am

Must be something in it. Don't see them much over seas either.

I guess pedestrians were getting stab wounds when at lowish speeds. It's one more injury they don't want.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 12 Feb 2018, 2:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Must be something in it. Don't see them much over seas either.

I guess pedestrians were getting stab wounds when at lowish speeds. It's one more injury they don't want.

You'd have to look at overall accident statistics with a large data pool to know I guess.

On any individual case if someone gets collected by a car going 60km/h + they're going to be in bad shape regardless of a hood ornament or not, like Seik said.

If you looked at deaths and injuries over thousands of incidents though and compare ornaments and no-ornament accidents maybe there is a significant difference. I dunno, just doing it in my head here.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel