Caught the 4WD bug

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Caught the 4WD bug

Post by twoforty » 09 Dec 2013, 12:11 pm

I'm sure this is boring as for some of you country guys or anyone who goes camping regularly, but after this weekend I've officially got the 4WD bug :)

I've got a sedan which doesn't let me do any off-roading, spend a day this weekend crashing around on a mates property in his Land Cruiser.

Awesome fun :D

Might have to tell the wife that the car is developing a few problems. Might as well get a 4WD for camping/shooting/hunting while we need a new car anyway :lol:
.243 Win Savage Axis Stainless
Burris Fullfield 4.5-14x42
twoforty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Caught the 4WD bug

Post by Monty » 09 Dec 2013, 12:37 pm

Good times :)

A mate of mine has an 80 series Land Cruiser which he really puts to the test when we go out.

"Crashing around" is the right description for it...
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 09 Dec 2013, 2:48 pm

twoforty wrote:I'm sure this is boring as for some of you country guys or anyone who goes camping regularly, but after this weekend I've officially got the 4WD bug :)

I've got a sedan which doesn't let me do any off-roading, spend a day this weekend crashing around on a mates property in his Land Cruiser.

Awesome fun :D

Sounds to me not so much that you have fallen in love with 4WDs so much as the outdoors?

Good ain't it?
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Blackened » 09 Dec 2013, 3:21 pm

A proper 4WD is a great thing.

Not very practical for the city unfortunately. If our roads were a bit more accommodating for them I reckon a lot more people would be into reaching further into the great outdoors.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by tuffstuff » 09 Dec 2013, 6:30 pm

Best thing in the world being able to get in the car and cross any terrain :)
.243 Remington 700™ BDL™
Bushnell Banner 6-24x40mm Mil Dot
tuffstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Zilla » 09 Dec 2013, 6:34 pm

I'd love to have one.

Can't live with the thing in the city though *sigh*

When I win the lottery I'll buy one as a second car for the outdoors :D
Ruger M77 mark II Target Rifle 6.5mm Creedmoor - Redfield Revolution 4-12x40mm
Ruger 77/44 Rem Mag - Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm
Marlin Model 1897 .22
Zilla
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 09 Dec 2013, 6:37 pm

Zilla wrote:Can't live with the thing in the city though *sigh*

Yeah, a full size land cruiser (or whatever) would be sweet. Too big for the daily drive though if you don't use it often.

I could live with something like a Subaru Forester though... Nice...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Muddy1967 » 10 Dec 2013, 5:04 am

I have had in the past a Toyota FJ55 Cruiser Ute and a Land Rover Discovery II and I gave them both heaps.
I now drive a Nissan X Trail, a bit smaller but a great car, anyway I was out having a bit of a cabbie around Bunyip State Forest (Gembrook) the other week and thought I would take a drive along Andersons Track.
Turns out Andersons Track is a double black diamond track with a good 35 deg. incline. The little xey wet up it no problems (OK it was dry) :lol: but still I was very impressed. I will not try it again as I figure I have used up all my luck :P.
Just like Woodworking, Aim twice, Shoot once.

.222 Remington 700™ BDL™ HB - Center Point 4-16x40
Marlin XT-22lrsr - Leupold VariX-3 6.5-20x50
Muddy1967
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by beerd » 10 Dec 2013, 8:31 am

Muddy1967 wrote:Turns out Andersons Track is a double black diamond track with a good 35 deg. incline. The little xey wet up it no problems (OK it was dry) :lol: but still I was very impressed. I will not try it again as I figure I have used up all my luck :P.

You say that now, but you'll crack :P

"It was fine last time, it'll be right again."

And Muddy was never heard from again :lol:
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by salate » 10 Dec 2013, 9:21 am

I've love one, but...

Then I'd be that guy I hate who parks in two spaces at the shops and makes me drive around for ages looking for another spot :lol:
salate
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 10 Dec 2013, 9:29 am

salate wrote:I've love one, but...

Then I'd be that guy I hate who parks in two spaces at the shops and makes me drive around for ages looking for another spot :lol:

The lines are only a guide..........
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Berper » 10 Dec 2013, 9:33 am

C'mon, man.

Don't be that guy :P
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Warrigul » 10 Dec 2013, 9:38 am

Berper wrote:C'mon, man.

Don't be that guy :P

Yes, you are right, the devil haas come to tsavo. I aaam the devil.....

Name the movie.

(sorry it is a bit off topic but the attitude is relevent in regards to the fact that everyone thinks 4WD's don't belong in the city because they aren't the same as all the little steel shoeboxes with wind up engines)

(you can move or delete as you like)
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Tonit » 10 Dec 2013, 10:15 am

The Ghost and the Darkness.

Booyah.
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 10 Dec 2013, 10:24 am

Warrigul wrote:sorry it is a bit off topic but the attitude is relevent in regards to the fact that everyone thinks 4WD's don't belong in the city because they aren't the same as all the little steel shoeboxes with wind up engines

No, no, no... Not saying they "don't belong".

Just saying that because 99% of my driving is around the burbs/city and a small hatch (which I have) is a far more sensible choice for me as my one car.

A Forester like I mentioned though is on my radar... That would do both for me pretty nicely.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 10 Dec 2013, 10:35 am

Lorgar wrote:
Warrigul wrote:sorry it is a bit off topic but the attitude is relevent in regards to the fact that everyone thinks 4WD's don't belong in the city because they aren't the same as all the little steel shoeboxes with wind up engines

No, no, no... Not saying they "don't belong".

Just saying that because 99% of my driving is around the burbs/city and a small hatch (which I have) is a far more sensible choice for me as my one car.

A Forester like I mentioned though is on my radar... That would do both for me pretty nicely.

Foresters can go some insane places if driven properly with decent tyres and some mild suspension tweaks.

Even standard they are often enough to get to 90% of the places that people with "sewrious" 4WD's commonly go. They are also often the only option where there is only the means or room for only one car and it also has to serve as a family car. I went for years without any sort of 4WD as the means just weren't there. A feroza filled the bill for a while but wasn't suited to kids nor the Rocky, a Magna wagon is far more suitable for prams etc etc etc.

Ferozas, sierras and many of the other similar types will often go where the FJ's and Patrols fear to tread. They make a VERY sound option for older people here in TAS.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 10 Dec 2013, 10:37 am

Tonit wrote:The Ghost and the Darkness.

Booyah.

Well done, top movie.

"I guess we have an understanding then?"

Funny how a two barrelled 1/2" bore howdah pistol will elicit agreement.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 10 Dec 2013, 10:44 am

Warrigul wrote:Foresters can go some insane places if driven properly with decent tyres and some mild suspension tweaks.

Even standard they are often enough to get to 90% of the places that people with "serious" 4WD's commonly go. They are also often the only option where there is only the means or room for only one car and it also has to serve as a family car.

That sums up my situation pretty nicely.

I don't have piles of cash lying around so am limited to one car, which has to be practical/sensible for my day to day.

And I'm not looking to be the first guy to drive up Everest either, so don't need some off road monster.

I just got a new car about 18 months ago so another car won't be on the agenda for a few years. I must admit a part of me regrets not getting the Forester.

It will be years before I get a new car, but a Forester is on the list for when the times comes.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel