Toughest off-road terrain to drive over

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Toughest off-road terrain to drive over

Post by southwest shooter » 21 Aug 2017, 4:24 pm

Daddybang wrote:
southwest shooter wrote:Landmines and ieds .

From what I've heard they are "easy" to drive over. ..not so easy to survive. :unknown:

Tough things to survive .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 21 Aug 2017, 7:31 pm

knowsnothin wrote:underground.

i worked underground for a couple of years.

lifespan of the average landcrusier ute was 6 -12 months although with $100 k of repairs they were known to last over 2 years.
all this with less than 20 000 clicks on them.

oh and don't ever buy an ex-mining ute.

Yeah the $ they throw at the mine cruisers to keep them going is insane! That being said not all ex mine is evil, the geo survey ones that don't go underground are often decent buy's!Long as they don't get run through the undercarrige wash thingys that use highly corrosive water and rust the frames from the inside out! Stupid thing with cruisers is that the dealers pay WAY too much for them when they buy them used and they get put up at silly prices! I was looking at an ex toyota company VDJ76 BOG STOCK apart from bar, they wanted 59+ onroads! I bought a new one instead, for less than the used one! Even nearing the end of warranty period the market value of mine exceeds what i paid for it, so i did get a decent price, but still!
Not that ive had any issues (looks for wood to touch!) id kill for one of the water cooled alternators (F U Toyota for placement!) that they run on the mine cruisers, oh and maybe some portals as well!

How about other cars under ground? A mate who works in open cuts in Gippy reckons they tried patrols once, lasted 3 months! Apparently Thailux's the same! Never ever keep them over 6 months, only cruiser get kept for 1-2years.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by p3seven » 21 Aug 2017, 10:10 pm

Quick sand in "Dry" creek beds. Had to walk 4 km back to the Toyota and fetch the Walllaby Jack.
The other bad one is loose rocks in river crossings. There are quiet a few on the track from Hell's Gate Qld to Borroloola NT.
Cattle grids on dirt roads can hide a lip that can bust a tyre and bend a rim.
Attachments
bogged.JPG
Gillen Ck Near Gem Tree NT
bogged.JPG (215.17 KiB) Viewed 5509 times
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Norton » 22 Aug 2017, 11:29 pm

Wow mate, good job :lol:

That is in there!
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Aug 2017, 9:44 am

I see your "quad" and raise you a truck and "quad-axle" dog!
Driving across a dry paddock, on the track, with a load of ag-lime. Found a "sink-hole". Definitely hardest thing to drive over that I've found. :lol:
Bogged 1.jpg
Bogged 1.jpg (136.07 KiB) Viewed 5463 times

Bogged 2.jpg
Bogged 2.jpg (136.59 KiB) Viewed 5463 times

Road was bone dry until the bogies broke through and then the crap underneath had the consistency of wet cement.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 27 Aug 2017, 12:52 am

Shell grit
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by p3seven » 27 Aug 2017, 7:56 am

Gamerancher wrote:I see your "quad" and raise you a truck and "quad-axle" dog!
Driving across a dry paddock, on the track, with a load of ag-lime. Found a "sink-hole".
Road was bone dry until the bogies broke through and then the crap underneath had the consistency of wet cement.

I surrender

How did you get it out?

I have seen tractors driven out by waiting for a frosty morning but you were way too deep for that.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Aug 2017, 9:51 am

Yeah, Nah! You don't drive 50 tonnes of truck and dog out of a bog. :thumbsdown:
Had to use the 20t excavator to dig out the load on the truck. Took the tail-gate off the dog and dragged the load out of it. We then dug down around the front bogie on the dog and behind the truck to unhook the trailer. Dragged the truck forward out of the hole and then lifted the front of the dog up and sideways to the drag it out. Took all day. This was on a track going along near the top of a ridge. A spring had come up under the road after many years of drought. Farmer now has a dam there.
bogged4.jpg
bogged4.jpg (167.28 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

bogged5.jpg
bogged5.jpg (159.51 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

bogged6.jpg
bogged6.jpg (143.43 KiB) Viewed 5437 times

P.S. Only damage done was a cracked tail-light lens on the truck. :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel