How often to replace snatch straps

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

How often to replace snatch straps

Post by Norton » 29 Aug 2017, 3:02 pm

What's peoples opinions on replacing snatch straps?

Do you replace them after X number of uses?

Once they look frayed enough that you're no longer confident in them?

If you go with the later how do you just that? Count busted threads or what is your system?

:thumbsup:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: How often to replace snatch straps

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Aug 2017, 5:05 pm

Any fraying of nylon webbing is detrimental to its strength. There is an inspection system used for lifting equipment that, while it might seem over the top, would be a good guideline for you. From memory, I think once there is more than 5% damage to visible strands or stiching, it is deemed unsafe for use.
Dirt will also work its way into the webbing with use and it can be very abrasive and reduce the safe working life of the strap.
Keeping it clean and bagged up, out of sunlight ( U.V ) when not in use will also prolong its lifespan.
Snatch-straps are used in a "shock-load" situation so erring on the side of caution is my way of thinking.
I've seen some pretty shocking outcomes with the "she'll be right mate" attitude.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Aug 2017, 5:40 pm

It depends a fair bit on the type of damage. There is a fairly large safety margin built into slings. BUT, even what seems to be very minor damage can completely ruin a sling. Reducing it strength to a fraction of its nominal capacity. Especially small tears.
If in doubt toss it out.

Might post some examples later.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Aug 2017, 9:02 pm

GameRancher is right %age wise and with the care of the straps also,
Now snap straps can't be used for lifting, reason being their load multiplies instant when put under load not like a lifting strap which
comes gradually to full load
To cut the story short the snap strap damage would have to be very minimal not like the lifting straps at 5%
When you see stitching large or small letting go then that means the strap has been in excessive tension ( unless worn which in any case should be thrown out )
and should be removed from service because the very next snap could be the dangerous one
In saying that the strap can still be used for towing lighter things but i wouldn't use it as a snap strap again
Member-Deleted

Post by p3seven » 29 Aug 2017, 9:26 pm

I think mine is at least 24 years old. Never used in anger recently (last10 years). l think however, l will replace it before l go bush again.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 29 Aug 2017, 9:56 pm

I generally go with the, if it look's fuc*ed it probably is kind of attitude, wouldn't like to rely on anything thats frayed and hagged, also important to keep them clean as possible as the little grains or dirt/sand cut away internally at the fibres
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel