Stuck on the side of the road

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Stuck on the side of the road

Post by Noisydad » 22 Oct 2017, 6:00 pm

Bugger it! It's Sunday evening and I'm coming home from Noisy Ranch and my old Defender has stopped me on the side of the road for the first time in 18 years so I'm sitting in a truck parking bay waiting for Lady Noisy to arrive to take me home. My truck has suffered a bent rocker shaft because of a stripped rocker shaft bearing bolt.
So tomorrow I'll borrow the work runabout Patrol, hire a car trailer and fetch it home. I'll fix it myself and parts are not that dear - most Defender parts are pretty cheap. It's a damned embuggerance at this crazy busy time of year though!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: Stuck on the side of the road

Post by Chronos » 22 Oct 2017, 6:18 pm

“Defender parts are pretty cheap”

Probably because they buy parts in bulk to keep them running :drinks:

Hope you get back in the road quick mate

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 22 Oct 2017, 6:20 pm

Lol they just utilise parts commonality across a lot of models and variations. Feeling a bit like Len Beadell at the moment but without the spinifex.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 22 Oct 2017, 6:32 pm

That sucks Noisy

I'd offer to come and tow it back to the Noisy Ranch for you mate, but the cruiser is currently off the road while I replace water pump, rebuild the starter motor, replace alternator brushes and service the swivel hubs.. :roll:

Hopefully Lady Noisy can drag you back to the ranch mate, with the way some people are these days I wouldn't recommend leaving it at the truck stop if you can avoid it..

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Noisydad » 22 Oct 2017, 6:46 pm

Thanks for the thought DD. Don't have much of a choice re parking up for the night coz there's not much chance of getting a hire care trailer at 8 pm on a Sunday in any of the tiny towns in this part of northern Vic. And towing a hundred kms isn't really an option ether.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 22 Oct 2017, 6:50 pm

Could you tow it to the nearest town ? be safer..

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by AusTac » 22 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

Happens to the best of us mate, but it's a defender, and she'll be back defendin' in no time
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Daddybang » 22 Oct 2017, 8:13 pm

Noisydad wrote:So tomorrow I'll borrow the work runabout Patrol, hire a car trailer and fetch it home. I'll fix it myself and parts are not that dear - most Defender parts are pretty cheap. It's a damned embuggerance at this crazy busy time of year though!

I don't buy parts for the 110 in Australia anymore.. We order everything from Paddocks in the UK. Ordered a vacuum pump w couple of weeks ago on a Friday morning was here in fnq at two o'clock Tuesday arvo and cost less than half what I could have got one over here(thats with the cost of postage!!) Best of luck with it all
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 22 Oct 2017, 8:50 pm

Home at last - a 2 1/4 hour trip took 5 1/5 hours.
I think I've bought parts from Paddock before.
Lately I've been buying from Allfourx4 spares in Newcastle and had great help from them and pretty good prices too.
A new OE rocker shaft from them is $60 delivered.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 23 Oct 2017, 7:32 pm

So Noisy did you get the Defender home safe and sound mate ?

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Noisydad » 01 Nov 2017, 7:54 pm

DD ended up getting it picked up on a tilt tray. Wasn't much dearer and was a mile easier. However, she rolls again! Just for once I didn"t need 3 elbows on one arm to work on machinery though fitting the new rocker shaft still had its share of frustrations not least of which finding not 1 but 3 stripped bolt holes that required drilling out from 8 mm to 10 mm and re-tapping then machining up hybrid bolts that are 10 mm on the bottom where they screw into the head and 8 mm on top.
Fortunately making custom parts like this is nothing new to me - I've done this sort of thing a gazillion times during 40 years of vintage oil engine and tractor collecting and restoring.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 02 Nov 2017, 10:55 pm

Noisydad wrote:DD ended up getting it picked up on a tilt tray. Wasn't much dearer and was a mile easier. However, she rolls again! Just for once I didn"t need 3 elbows on one arm to work on machinery though fitting the new rocker shaft still had its share of frustrations not least of which finding not 1 but 3 stripped bolt holes that required drilling out from 8 mm to 10 mm and re-tapping then machining up hybrid bolts that are 10 mm on the bottom where they screw into the head and 8 mm on top.
Fortunately making custom parts like this is nothing new to me - I've done this sort of thing a gazillion times during 40 years of vintage oil engine and tractor collecting and restoring.

Good to hear you got her home safe and sound and she is as good as new :thumbsup: It's always good when a repair job doesn't require either three arms, three elbow joints per arm or both.. Rare though :lol: Lucky you have all the gear you need to make up the custom parts eh !.... I really need to gets me a metal lathe... Can never have enough tools and such..... :thumbsup:

Speaking of frustrations, I replaced the brushes in the alternator of the LC (they were worn to the absolute limit) I thought they were the cause of an intermittent problem I've been having with the battery light coming on.... Not so, it didn't fix the issue :roll: But it did rule that out and indicate for it to be an issue with the external regulator.. It turns out the contacts on the tiny little relay on the regulator had a build up on them, so after painstaking delicate disassembly, cleaning and reassembly its all good :thumbsup: I could have bought a new regulator fairly cheep (would have been much easier) but that's not my style as I'm a glutton for punishment and rather fix things I already have if at all possible :D

Btw.. wouldn't mind seeing some pics of the vintage machinery, feel free to pm me a few pics if you get a chance.. :D

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Daddybang » 03 Nov 2017, 5:48 am

Good to hear ya had a win nd that's one of the good thing about landies they are relatively easy to work with access wise. Like dd would be interesting to see ya vintage machinery!! :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 03 Nov 2017, 5:22 pm

If you look up Noisydad on Youtube you'll find a few short vids I've put on there including a couple of my restorations.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by scaredyet » 03 Nov 2017, 11:07 pm

Noisydad wrote:If you look up Noisydad on Youtube you'll find a few short vids I've put on there including a couple of my restorations.

I put noisedad and I get angry dad Fk me never seen such an asshole my whole life
scaredyet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 04 Nov 2017, 12:49 am

scaredyet wrote:
Noisydad wrote:If you look up Noisydad on Youtube you'll find a few short vids I've put on there including a couple of my restorations.

I put noisedad and I get angry dad Fk me never seen such an asshole my whole life

Maybe its the Noisedad and not the Noisydad typo :P :friends:

Try this one. Scaredyet :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/user/8023120SL

Enjoy.... :D

Love the old machinery Noisy :thumbsup: Btw the buff gong vid, is gold... 8-)

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by sarki » 10 Nov 2017, 11:45 am

Chronos wrote:Probably because they buy parts in bulk to keep them running :drinks:

I hear there are defenders lying on the sides of roads everywhere you can pick up parts from :mrgreen:
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel