Off road modifications and road legalities

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Off road modifications and road legalities

Post by Octane » 09 Nov 2017, 3:41 pm

I'm in the market for a 4WD for some genuine off-roading at the moment and will be doing a few mods on it I'm sure.

Is there any possibility of the usual mods causing any legal or registration grief?

Suspension and tyre size of course, I'll leave that to the shop to tell me the right stuff at the time.

There is some drama bout light bars?

What about having recovery points and shackles sticking out? Prody bits of metal.

Whatever else... I know this is vague but I'm kind of asking "what don't I know?".
Octane
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Off road modifications and road legalities

Post by pete1 » 09 Nov 2017, 3:52 pm

Cant have, sharp edges on front of car, just like fishing rod holders must be removed when you're not using them.
2 inch lift is max legal, but just get RWC done before you do any of that stuff and will have no problems,
light bars look at link
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... ing-lights
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Nov 2017, 4:03 pm

pete1 wrote:Cant have, sharp edges on front of car, just like fishing rod holders must be removed when you're not using them.
2 inch lift is max legal, but just get RWC done before you do any of that stuff and will have no problems,
light bars look at link
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... ing-lights

Having an RWC does not make your vehicle legal, it just means it was legal when the RWC was done. If you modify it to make it no longer road legal an RWC won't protect you if you cause an accident.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by albat » 09 Nov 2017, 7:09 pm

If you use your fourby for daily driving just remember as a rule of thumb every mod you do to make it better off road makes it worse on it , gets tiring pretty quickly rolling around corners feeling as though ya going to roll , noise from off road tyres, extra weight more fuel etc etc most accessories are a rip and only needed for where the truck shouldnt really be going anyway
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 09 Nov 2017, 7:58 pm

Hey octane speak to the shop and they'll point ya in the right direction(they're in your state) !! :drinks: :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 09 Nov 2017, 8:43 pm

That two if you get a roadworthy there is a 28day cooling off period so to speak where you cant touch or change anything everything is done online and lodged directly with main roads. Not to mention if you get done within the 28 days the big wigs are involved not just the DOT officers. Tread carefully
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 09 Nov 2017, 8:49 pm

Get mods that are adr compliant, bars suspension etc, i've got a fairly modded vehicle and yeah some stuff isn't kosher but i haven't had any issues so far in Vic, some of the laws are insane...very hard to keep up
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 09 Nov 2017, 10:08 pm

Pain in the ass pardon the french constant changes to codes and not to mention the risk of fines with a audit i personally hate holding a roadworthy licence.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 09 Nov 2017, 11:14 pm

Make sure whatever modifications you make are legal and have your insurer add them to your policy (get evidence of it from them) or they may not pay in the event of a claim... They don't pay if they can avoid it.... Happened to a mate of mine and he wasn't even aware that the non compliant modification had been made to the acquired vehicle at the time..... :( CYA......!

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Wobble » 10 Nov 2017, 11:38 am

Daddybang wrote:Hey octane speak to the shop and they'll point ya in the right direction(they're in your state) !! :drinks: :thumbsup:

Yep, just stick to reputable suppliers and workshops. It's in their interest to be doing legal work too and they won't stray outside of that.

Just don't get Gary's mate from the back of the pub to do anything for you :thumbsup:
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by tucked » 13 Nov 2017, 11:47 am

Bubba's discount car fixin's! :mrgreen:
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales