2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive for towing

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive for towing

Post by Seik » 13 Nov 2017, 2:54 pm

Any difference driving a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive for towing?

Better, worse, other?
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive for towing

Post by AusTac » 13 Nov 2017, 3:03 pm

You'll need a full time 4wd ( 80 series, LR Defender etc ) if you want to tow with 4wd ( can't drive part time 4x4 on tarmac, they're rwd on the road ) , depends what your towing also, 4 driven wheels will always be better than 2 especially off road but what some people get away with towing in a rwd vehicle always surprises me, full time 4x4's arn't really 4 wheel D until you lock the centre diff and then still you can have slip L to R on open diffs but thats in pretty narlie terrain
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Daddybang » 13 Nov 2017, 4:00 pm

I've got both a two wheel drive rtv ute and a 110 defender that I use to tow a float with a ton of horses and honestly if there's a benefit to using one over the other (apart from fuel consumption) I've got know effin idea what it is!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Ps thats on road!
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 13 Nov 2017, 5:17 pm

Just on that mate, the braked towing capacity of a rtv ute is ( according to specs ) 1.2 tonne ( 1200kg ) and the Defer maximum braked towing capacity is 3.5 tonne ( 3500kg ) something to thing about
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Daddybang » 13 Nov 2017, 6:16 pm

AusTac wrote:Just on that mate, the braked towing capacity of a rtv ute is ( according to specs ) 1.2 tonne ( 1200kg ) and the Defer maximum braked towing capacity is 3.5 tonne ( 3500kg ) something to thing about

Shhhh!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 15 Nov 2017, 1:54 pm

AusTac wrote:full time 4x4's arn't really 4 wheel D until you lock the centre diff and then still you can have slip L to R on open diffs but thats in pretty narlie terrain

And you'd never lock those on the road anyway because it kills your steering and you''ll be stressing your diffs until something breaks from the wind up.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2017, 2:32 pm

Rating and doing are two different things. Good luck trying to tow 3.5 tonnes with most of the vehicles that have that "rating". Getting the load moving is one thing, stopping it is a whole other ball game. ( even with braked trailers ) There are also disclaimers written in the fine print of most of the vehicles that claim to have 3.5t towing "ability".
I'd like $10 for every wreck I've seen on the highway involving someone trying to tow a maximum load that their vehicle was "rated" for.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel