Lift Kit vs GVM upgrade, and engineering certificate cost

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Lift Kit vs GVM upgrade, and engineering certificate cost

Post by Wes » 28 Nov 2017, 2:43 pm

Am I missing something when it comes to doing a Gross Vehicle Mass vs a normal lift?

As far as I can tell, the two options are comprised of the following parts and cost (give or take).

Lift kit = 4 shocks, 4 springs and some connection bits. Will cost you $2k.

GVM upgrade kit = 4 shocks, 4 springs, some connection bits and an engineering certificate. Will cost you $4k.

Given you can buy off the shelf "GVM upgrade kits" with all the same bits as a lift kit, WTF are you paying the extra $2k for?

Someone to sign a piece of paper?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Lift Kit vs GVM upgrade, and engineering certificate cos

Post by pete1 » 28 Nov 2017, 7:08 pm

Yeh sounds about right. If GVM goes over 4.5 tonne, you'll pay extra rego and need a truck licence to drive it.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 30 Nov 2017, 9:03 am

pete1 wrote:Yeh sounds about right. If GVM goes over 4.5 tonne, you'll pay extra rego and need a truck licence to drive it.

Wow, really?

They don't advertise that when they're talking about the kits.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mitch » 30 Nov 2017, 10:33 am

That's because I don't think there are any that go that high?

Maybe for a cruiser but that's all.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 30 Nov 2017, 10:58 am

You won't get a Landcruiser upgraded to 4500kg so don't worry about it.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 30 Nov 2017, 11:55 am

Two very different things for a start.

Without going all white coat, both need to be done properly, if your looking to carry alot of s**t and tow (easily adds up to 6 tonne including vehicle weight ) you'd get something like a iveco daily or similar rather than trying to gvm upgrade some 4x4 and pack it to breaking point.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Wes » 01 Dec 2017, 10:28 am

AusTac wrote:Two very different things for a start.

Well that's what I'm trying to understand mate.

I'm not looking to build some heavy cargo hauler.

Like I said in the original post, it seems to me like you buy 2 different packs off the shelf with the same stuff in them but the price is twice as much for one.
One has 4 springs, 4 shocks.
One has 4 springs, 4 shocks and a piece of paper that says certificate on it.

How are they different things? Other than the piece of paper.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 01 Dec 2017, 4:33 pm

It depends on the specific vehicle and what your looking to upgrade it to, but for example i'll use a yota land cruiser 79 series which have a gross vehicle mass of 3300kg, by the time you chuck on bullbars and winches a toolbox and 4 blokes your close to if not over that weight , as i'm sure your aware, toyota engineer the vehicle to carry this weight safetly using X parts which are manufactured to withstand x amount of force tensile strength in the bolts etc, throw a few 100 kgs on the tray over that and yeah you might get away with it you might not, it'll probably be fine for farmer fred, but get caught and your up s**t creek, somewhere some engineer has come up with a kit which has been tested to withstand x amount more load, which is usually about 600kgs more than stock, the engineer does all the R&D testing etc, knows what forces the the stock brakes and steering can take but then find's the stock leaf's and front shocks springs arn't up to the task, they may be at coil bind or whatever the case, all that suspension stuff ( usually shocks, bushes, alignment at a minimum is important but one of the most important parts to get right over just a lift is the load proportioning valve drop bracket, more weight means more brake bias, which adjusts as you stack the weight and how abs if fitted responds etc at the end of the day, someones done alot of work, they're putting their name/signature on the dotted line saying this is safe/engineered/legal which is why the mines/gov spend on this kind of work

Not an engineer or expert by any means eaither
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Hugh » 02 Dec 2017, 6:43 am

There was ads on tv recently for a new 4x4 [cant remember which make] that came with free GVM upgrade.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 02 Dec 2017, 8:20 am

Have a chat with the boys at superior engineering, depending on 4wd they have off the shelf kits. The compents come with engineering certs which makes it easier to get the whole thing engineered here in vic.
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 03 Dec 2017, 8:40 am

Just wack a lump of 4×2 in the springs and ya can carry just about anything! :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 03 Dec 2017, 10:52 am

My missus works at a rural supply store, she hasn't had a jap ute yet that can handle a 1 tonne pallet of product, even when rated for it. She tries to tell them before she loads it on that their pootrol/cruiser/lux won't take it. They tell her it will, so she starts lowering the forks, when its' ar$e is dragging on the ground before the full weight is on it, she asks again if they really think it is a good idea. They usually have to swallow their pride and do two trips. Even worse if it's a duel cab.
Last edited by Gamerancher on 04 Dec 2017, 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 03 Dec 2017, 12:13 pm

Gamerancher wrote:My missus works at a rural supply store, she hasn't had a jap ute yet that can handle a 1 tonne pallet of product, even when rated for it. She tries to tell them before she loads it on that their pootrol/cruiser/lux won't take it. They tell her it will, so she starts lowering the forks, when its' ar$e is dragging on the ground before the full weight is on it, she asks again if they really think it is a good idea. They usually have to swallow their pride and do two trips. Even worse if it a duel cab.

1 tonne payload my ass. It might be rated on paper, but Ive got a hilux and there's no fkn way I'd even contemplate putting that much in the back of it. I've got a big ass heavy duty trailer for those jobs.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 03 Dec 2017, 5:35 pm

Gamerancher wrote:My missus works at a rural supply store, she hasn't had a jap ute yet that can handle a 1 tonne pallet of product, even when rated for it. She tries to tell them before she loads it on that their pootrol/cruiser/lux won't take it. They tell her it will, so she starts lowering the forks, when its' ar$e is dragging on the ground before the full weight is on it, she asks again if they really think it is a good idea. They usually have to swallow their pride and do two trips. Even worse if it a duel cab.

:lol: there are some die hard brand x blokes in the world where that would really hurt the ego
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Hugh » 17 Dec 2017, 5:37 am

Gamerancher wrote:My missus works at a rural supply store, she hasn't had a jap ute yet that can handle a 1 tonne pallet of product, even when rated for it. She tries to tell them before she loads it on that their pootrol/cruiser/lux won't take it. They tell her it will, so she starts lowering the forks, when its' ar$e is dragging on the ground before the full weight is on it, she asks again if they really think it is a good idea. They usually have to swallow their pride and do two trips. Even worse if it's a duel cab.

Try it with a holden 1 tonner they bend in half just behind cab.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Dec 2017, 7:26 am

Like I say, rating and doing are two completely different things.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 19 Jan 2018, 2:09 pm

Doing these ones? :lol:

news-nissan-navara-d40-pathfinder-r51-corrosion-issues-16.jpg.jpg
news-nissan-navara-d40-pathfinder-r51-corrosion-issues-16.jpg.jpg (34.73 KiB) Viewed 10028 times
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 19 Jan 2018, 2:12 pm

Wait, we have a new winner :lol:

overloaded-ute.jpg
overloaded-ute.jpg (36.25 KiB) Viewed 10027 times
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal