Blackened Bonnet for light bar

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Blackened Bonnet for light bar

Post by winton » 15 Dec 2017, 5:24 pm

Guys need some advice.
Am considering putting a 50 inch lightbar that sits slightly above the windshield. My concern is the reflection coming of the white bonnet I have.

Would it be advisable to paint it black? and if so, gloss or matte? Of course I'm going to angle it so that most of the beam skirts over the bonnet, but....

Gloss would definitely be harder wearing and easier to clean, but may still reflect a little light. If its not much that I can live with, I'd rather go gloss, What do you guys think?

Was thinking of just using spray can metal epoxy paint. Anyone tried this themselves? Seem some guys use a vinyl wrap, but I think this is expensive.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Blackened Bonnet for light bar

Post by Supaduke » 15 Dec 2017, 6:10 pm

I think you will find that roof mounted Led Bars are technically unroadworthy and illegal in Victoria. A few of my mates have been pinged by overzealous coppers and had to move them.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... ing-lights
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by winton » 15 Dec 2017, 6:23 pm

Supaduke wrote:I think you will find that roof mounted Led Bars are technically unroadworthy and illegal in Victoria. A few of my mates have been pinged by overzealous coppers and had to move them.

thanks for that.

I was told that they aren't road worthy and must not be used on road. When you are off road, you can use them. so they have to be switched off when on a road and need to be tied into the vehicles high beam..

Did your mates have them switched on, on a country road?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 15 Dec 2017, 6:44 pm

It was during the day. Not turned on. The information they were given was below the bonnet line and rearwards of the furthest point of the bumper ie: not protruding.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by winton » 15 Dec 2017, 7:05 pm

Supaduke wrote:It was during the day. Not turned on. The information they were given was below the bonnet line and rearwards of the furthest point of the bumper ie: not protruding.

well, I guess thats a bummer. I'd probably still like to paint my bonnet black in case the rules change. :D
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 15 Dec 2017, 8:10 pm

Supercheap has some peel off paint so you could give it a temporary try,
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 16 Dec 2017, 1:13 pm

If your still gunna mount it you can get roof rack rails and mount it anywhere on the roof, just not to far back as it reflects off your mirrors.

Could vinyl rap the bonnet.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 16 Dec 2017, 3:41 pm

Was thinking about getting some brackets to mount it just above the windshield line. But the legalities have made me think twice. I've a friend who has mounted it there himself, but he hasn't yet been caught.

What cost is vinyl wrap?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 16 Dec 2017, 5:25 pm

winton wrote:Was thinking about getting some brackets to mount it just above the windshield line. But the legalities have made me think twice. I've a friend who has mounted it there himself, but he hasn't yet been caught.

What cost is vinyl wrap?

I've got one on the roof so have my mate none have being caught.
I have driven straight past Mansfield cops, no problems. I think if you act like a d**k they will throw the book at you for every little thing vs just driving behaving and doing the speed limit there will be though no problems.

to get it done might be Like $300 vs DIY might be $100 for a bonnet. Plenty of info on the internet about it, Its pretty tough, they reckon its good for 10+ years and you can just rip it straight off when you sell the car.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 16 Dec 2017, 6:13 pm

This is what I'm looking at doing

do you reckon this is over the top? No pun intended.

I'll look into the vinyl wrap. I think it would be a good alternative to painting.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 16 Dec 2017, 10:37 pm

There is quite a few things which are technically illegal. One that surprised me was go pro cams on your motorcycle helmet.

Most of it comes down to discretion. Some days , some cops can just choose to be a real dick.

I know lots of people mount lights up on the roof. My mates had them up there for ages before being busted. One mate also got done because his rear mud guard (tray back) did not extend past the centre line of his rear wheel. Also had to lower his lift kit. So I guess it's simply up to the individual if they choose to take the chance.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Homer » 18 Dec 2017, 8:44 am

G'Day Fella's,

Winton, an alternative to painting your bonnet and something I have been doing for years/various 4WD's, is to paint the lower inside surface of your windscreen.
This is cheaper to do and also helps when driving into the setting sun, will not de-value your vehicle, and is easily removed (if required).

All you need to do, is sit in the car as you normally would (both Driver side and Passenger), with a roll of masking tape or a Marker/Texta pen.
It ends up looking like a Truncated Pyramid shape (wider at the bottom, tapered sides, to a narrower top border).
Then mark out where the bonnet and front guards are (Top and sides), on the inside of your windscreen.
Then use masking tape to out line this detail/border, on the Outside of your windscreen.
Next, thoroughly clean the Inside of the windscreen with Metholated Spirits.
Next, mask off the same extent of the border (top, sides and bottom), on the inside of the windscreen, and place news paper on the dash, and the upper portion of the windscreen.
Then open both front doors and using a spray can of Matt Black paint, shake can, and apply paint as per the directions.

This paint job, may require touch up after a few years?

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by winton » 18 Dec 2017, 9:40 am

Supaduke wrote:I know lots of people mount lights up on the roof. My mates had them up there for ages before being busted.

Do the cops give you an order to rectify the issue and is it something you need to bring into vicroads to confirm?

Homer wrote:an alternative to painting your bonnet and something I have been doing for years/various 4WD's, is to paint the lower inside surface of your windscreen.

Isn't obscuring any part of the windshield illegal?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TRG » 18 Dec 2017, 1:09 pm

Gday you can vinyl wrap your bonnet at most sign shops, if its for light bar defnatley use matt black, cost on average is $200.
$100 material $100 labour. Im a vehicle wrapper based in WA. Dont buy the s**t material from supacrap or local auto store they will perish with in 2 yrs and a night mare to remove as they are all Chinese product. Only use or insist on installer these materials 3M, Avery, Sott or Calon Vinyl films these will give you excellent durability 7 - 10 yrs and remove from the car perfectly.
Hope that helps
Attachments
2016-08-05 16.06.49.jpg
Carbon Fibre bonnet with matt black side trim Vehicle wrap material
2016-08-05 16.06.49.jpg (1.69 MiB) Viewed 6265 times
TRG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Supaduke » 18 Dec 2017, 1:13 pm

winton wrote:
Supaduke wrote:I know lots of people mount lights up on the roof. My mates had them up there for ages before being busted.

Do the cops give you an order to rectify the issue and is it something you need to bring into vicroads to confirm?

Homer wrote:an alternative to painting your bonnet and something I have been doing for years/various 4WD's, is to paint the lower inside surface of your windscreen.

Isn't obscuring any part of the windshield illegal?

Yes, they were canaries, yes obstructing your view out of the windscreen is technically illegal.

I know truckies that have been harassed for having stainless steel stone deflectors instead of the see through plastic ones on their bonnet.

The way the law is written though it's very discretionary. You can go years with no problem. Get a cop having a bad day or run in to a blitz checkpoint targeting a certain issue and you may find yourself in trouble.

My mates that got busted were on the way into a state forest for a day of 4wding. The cops had set up a check point at one of the main entrance points. They were going through anyone and anything . Bikes , fourbies , everyone. Lot of trailbike riders getting done that day too
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by winton » 18 Dec 2017, 4:09 pm

TRG wrote:Only use or insist on installer these materials 3M, Avery, Sott or Calon Vinyl films these will give you excellent durability 7 - 10 yrs and remove from the car perfectly.

I'll ask about that.

Was told that carbon fibre wasn't in fashion anymore. Matte Black is the way to go.

Supaduke wrote:[My mates that got busted were on the way into a state forest for a day of 4wding. The cops had set up a check point at one of the main entrance points. They were going through anyone and anything

My only use for the lightbar is to drive to my hunts and that would be early in the morning and would probably miss all them checkpoints.

however, I reckon I am leaning towards getting it mounted on the bull bar (when I get one) since getting ticketed by the cops can be super inconvenient, especially when you're carrying firearms. .
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 20 Dec 2017, 10:21 am

TRG wrote:Gday you can vinyl wrap your bonnet at most sign shops, if its for light bar defnatley use matt black, cost on average is $200.
$100 material $100 labour.

I've decided on vinyl wrapping my car bonnet. Thanks TRG.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TRG » 20 Dec 2017, 11:51 am

Gday Winton.
Cool mate just get them to use good materials and you'll have no issues.
Carbon is not really the flavour of the month any more but i still really love it. I also ride Ktm 1290 super duke and it has so much real carbon on it matches my vehicle sort of, haha!
HAVE GREAT XMAS stay safe shootin look after ya buddies.
Trg
TRG
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Dec 2017, 1:42 pm

If you mount it further back it won't shine on the windscreen or bonnet.

Mine is about 30cm back from the top of the windscreen and doesn't shibe on the bonnet.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Dec 2017, 1:47 pm

winton wrote:This is what I'm looking at doing

do you reckon this is over the top? No pun intended.

I'll look into the vinyl wrap. I think it would be a good alternative to painting.

Looks cool but the light shining on the window will become annoying pretty fast.

Every bug and spec of dust will be illuminated.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by winton » 30 May 2018, 5:08 pm

I had a country cop tell me recently that my side alley lights are illegal. You know the kind of lights that taxis have to see house numbers. Didn't get a defect notice, cause he was busy so I was lucky there.

Seems like lights on the roof are alot of trouble.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel