Treadwear indicator bar on 4X4 tires

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Treadwear indicator bar on 4X4 tires

Post by inventurkey » 15 Jan 2018, 2:46 pm

I think the guy at the tire shop is trying to take me for a ride, so........

This is my understanding of when a tire needs replacing, when the tread is almost flush with that wear indicator bar.

treadwear-indicator-bar-4x4.jpg
treadwear-indicator-bar-4x4.jpg (8.12 KiB) Viewed 4894 times

(Not my tires, example from Google. I forgot to take a picture before I got to the PC today, will do later)

The guy at the shop is telling me I've got 2 or 3 thousand km left on the tires, but they still have about 6-7mm of tread above the wear indicator. In my experience with the tires that's going to be 10's of thousands.

It's no different for 4X4 tires, hey? They just need replacing for the road when they're at the indicator.
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Treadwear indicator bar on 4X4 tires

Post by AusTac » 15 Jan 2018, 2:51 pm

More to tyres than just tread, they could be badly cracked but if that were the case he would have canned them then and there, if you still have a bunch or tread, the wear is straight across the tyre, the sidewall isn't chunked out, and they don't look like the palm of your hand then you should be good to go
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Daddybang » 15 Jan 2018, 3:01 pm

AusTac wrote:More to tyres than just tread, they could be badly cracked but if that were the case he would have canned them then and there, if you still have a bunch or tread, the wear is straight across the tyre, the sidewall isn't chunked out, and they don't look like the palm of your hand then you should be good to go

Spot on!!
Sounds like the Tyre guy is bullsh@ttin ya!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 15 Jan 2018, 5:07 pm

Even if it reaches tread indicator, you must have 1.5mm of tread all around the tyre to be roadworthy.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 15 Jan 2018, 7:57 pm

Solders look like toast man under inflation perhaps? I have a local cop shop near work that loves people that think if the middles good its not bald in Queensland they'll fine you 110 for every bald Tyre and 1 point.

As stated above 1.5mm of tread on any given point of the tyre that contacts the road

Anything that is over 5 years of age although its not really enforced is a dead tyes as per industry standards.
there have been a few insurance companies that have refused to pay out on claims due to this fact alone.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by inventurkey » 16 Jan 2018, 8:22 am

Ok here's my actual tires.

(You have to click to see the first one in full, I did it too big or something)

wear-rib.jpg
wear-rib.jpg (121.32 KiB) Viewed 4824 times

sidewall.jpg
sidewall.jpg (79.64 KiB) Viewed 4826 times

You can see the wear indicator, plenty of tread above it. The level of tread is consistent across and around the tire.

Sidewall is in good condition.

Rubber all round is in good condition as far as I can tell. Not cracked or brittle anywhere, feels like normal flexible "soft" rubber like any other tire.

She's right, right?
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Jan 2018, 8:27 am

Keep on truckin' mate, tyre bloke is trying to con you. When you do wear them out, find another place to buy tyres.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 16 Jan 2018, 8:38 am

I don't think thats your indicator just quietly, i reckon if you look around you'll find a wider one about 1cm wide, regardless you've got heaps left, wear them down to about the 2mm then you can start looking at new ones :)
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Apollo » 16 Jan 2018, 9:06 am

If it was said that there is only 2-3 thousand kms of life left on the tyres I would have asked why that statement was made...??

Tread wear indicator location is marked with a small triangle on the edge of the tread / sidewall but the tread depth looks okay.

Damage to the actual tread somewhere..??

Perished perhaps..??

Tyres do have an expiry date. The date of manufacture is stamped on the sidewall and is usually a week of the year and year prefix like 0308 meaning the third week in the year 2008.

Other than that, don't know. I would have asked for an explanation.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by inventurkey » 16 Jan 2018, 9:39 am

AusTac wrote:I don't think thats your indicator just quietly, i reckon if you look around you'll find a wider one about 1cm wide, regardless you've got heaps left, wear them down to about the 2mm then you can start looking at new ones :)

I double checked, it definitely is the indicator on my tires.

Skinnier than most on these one I guess.
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 16 Jan 2018, 9:39 am

I'd be tellin the tyre guy that sexual harassment is a crime .....he's trying to f@#k ya!!!! :o :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by inventurkey » 16 Jan 2018, 9:44 am

Apollo wrote:If it was said that there is only 2-3 thousand kms of life left on the tyres I would have asked why that statement was made...??

Tread wear indicator location is marked with a small triangle on the edge of the tread / sidewall but the tread depth looks okay.

Damage to the actual tread somewhere..??

Perished perhaps..??

So long story short I was doing some errands with the family, had 10 minutes to kill so wandered into the tire place across the road, just checking while I had the time, not because I'm experiencing or seeing any problems with them.

I was just window shopping and the sales guy comes out, while we were chatting I said take a look and see how long you reckon they've got left. He just eye-balled the tread on one tire for his estimate here.

Was trying to be nonchalant about it but I could see he was pretty keen to try and close a sale then.

That'll be the answer then :thumbsup:
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 16 Jan 2018, 12:44 pm

Looks perfectly fine to me.

Plenty of tread, no sign of cracking or rot.

If the tires do in fact look like that all around, I certainly wouldn't be replacing them yet.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2018, 5:51 pm

Daddybang wrote:I'd be tellin the tyre guy that sexual harassment is a crime .....he's trying to f@#k ya!!!! :o :drinks:

When they are down to the mark go back, take a big Dido with you and tell him to drop his dacks.

Just to repay the favour.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 17 Jan 2018, 7:03 am

One of those times it's much better to give than receive!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel