How often do you wash your dyneema rope

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

How often do you wash your dyneema rope

Post by huccl » 16 Jan 2018, 12:31 pm

How do you guys take care of your dyneema rope winches.

How often do you wash your rope?

Particularly thinking of when it's not getting any use and is just rolled up on the front of the truck for weeks or months between trips.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: How often do you wash your dyneema rope

Post by AusTac » 16 Jan 2018, 1:12 pm

Not often enough :lol: in fact i should probably do it after this gone weekend, i'll really do it when it gets dragged in the mud but your right saying s**t gets up there when rolled up also doesn't't hurt the give it a spool in/out when its possible that the controller got wet, evaporates the moisture
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 16 Jan 2018, 1:14 pm

Depends on how I've used it recently.

If I've used it on a trip and it's run across dust, dirt, mud etc. I'll give it a full wash at the end of a trip. Run the whole thing out and wash it all in a bucket.

If it's been used to pull through water, or just across wet grass or the like and is basically pretty clean I'll just spool it up and not bother with a clean after that.

About dust that builds up on the outer layer in normal driving, I just leave it until I have a reason not too. I don't clean it at regular intervals for the sake of that.

If I'm going on a trip where the winch might need to be used, I'll run out the dust covered outer layer and give it a wash in a bucket before the trip, but just do the outer layer, not the entire rope. Then I don't have to worrying about pre-tensioning it again after the way.

2c.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by BBJ » 17 Jan 2018, 12:31 pm

Only after it's been used.

Wouldn't hurt to take a little better care of it after a while of daily driving I'll admit though.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by rsj223 » 17 Jan 2018, 10:16 pm

AusTac wrote:Not often enough :lol: in fact i should probably do it after this gone weekend, i'll really do it when it gets dragged in the mud but your right saying s**t gets up there when rolled up also doesn't't hurt the give it a spool in/out when its possible that the controller got wet, evaporates the moisture

+ 1 Its on my list of things over due
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 18 Jan 2018, 8:14 pm

huccl wrote:How do you guys take care of your dyneema rope winches.

How often do you wash your rope?

Particularly thinking of when it's not getting any use and is just rolled up on the front of the truck for weeks or months between trips.

Dyneema doesn't absorb water we have it on the yacht it gets hosed with salt water every time we go out in wilder conditions.

For a car winch I would probably have a cover made up to stop rocks and s**t getting thrown into it when following trucks etc on the road.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 18 Jan 2018, 9:01 pm

Its more the dirt and sand that does it, acts like little knives eating away at the insides as the rope moves under tension
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel