Loctite high strength thread locker

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Loctite high strength thread locker

Post by Lorgar » 04 Feb 2018, 10:11 pm

Wes wrote:I've read comments like this on the red loctite before. Honestly I don't get where you really need to use it when it's so crazy strong and the regular strength work so well anyway?

I believe the highest strength stuff is really intended for stuff like aviation, situations where fasteners coming lose can genuinely mean life or death.

If a bolt comes off one of your fourby accessories on the highway you pull over and sort it out once you hear it clanging about.

If they're falling out of your prop while you're flying it's a whole different story :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Feb 2018, 10:20 pm

Wes wrote:I've read comments like this on the red loctite before. Honestly I don't get where you really need to use it when it's so crazy strong and the regular strength work so well anyway?

There's a place for the red stuff.

It's sold as "permanent locking" for things like studs that you don't want to spin out when you remove the nut.

I like to use it on high stress fastners like flex plate to torque converter bolts and have used it on heavy machinery on big threads that are prone to coming loose.
I believe that the temperature rating of the red stuff is a little higher than the blue stuff as well so no doubt there's benefits to that in some applications.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by andreweden » 05 Feb 2018, 12:07 pm

A3EB2E5F-5C4F-4E2F-94AC-4C5D9F225C72.jpeg
A3EB2E5F-5C4F-4E2F-94AC-4C5D9F225C72.jpeg (132.42 KiB) Viewed 5987 times
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 05 Feb 2018, 3:01 pm

andreweden wrote:tool expectations

:lol:

Those breaker bars are the ticket. I have a 60cm bar and socket for my 4WD wheels.

Makes removing the nuts a breeze compared to those useless bloody wheel nut wrenches you get from the factory :roll:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 05 Feb 2018, 6:00 pm

Yeah I actually went and read the packet for the 263 stuff and it says permanent on studs below 25mm
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by sungazer » 05 Feb 2018, 6:04 pm

I have put it on some Stainless Name escapes me but the threads that you screw into a bold hole that has stripped. I had some tapped some Aluminum with 6mm tap and it stripped after a few weeks use. I drilled it out an put in the stainless thread and shes as good as gold now better than when I first made it.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Daddybang » 05 Feb 2018, 6:39 pm

Lorgar wrote:Those breaker bars are the ticket. I have a 60cm bar and socket for my 4WD wheels.

Makes removing the nuts a breeze compared to those useless bloody wheel nut wrenches you get from the factory :roll:

Yep especially when ya get a heap of dust or grit in the threads...or the bloke at the tyre shop rattles the nuts up till they imprint on the rims :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gregg » 10 Feb 2018, 3:34 pm

Daddybang wrote:or the bloke at the tyre shop rattles the nuts up till they imprint on the rims :lol: :drinks:

There's one at every shop :roll:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 11 Feb 2018, 10:56 am

sungazer wrote:I have put it on some Stainless Name escapes me but the threads that you screw into a bold hole that has stripped. I had some tapped some Aluminum with 6mm tap and it stripped after a few weeks use. I drilled it out an put in the stainless thread and shes as good as gold now better than when I first made it.

Helicoil
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 11 Feb 2018, 12:33 pm

243 Blue is what my local gunshot reckons. I used it recently when putting a set of rings on my Tikka.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel