LED drive lights (HELP)

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

LED drive lights (HELP)

Post by Die Judicii » 07 May 2018, 9:35 pm

Alright, I gather that there is no set data that allows easy comparisons when looking to buy.
Some light sets say one thing, but seem to be contradicted by others,,,,,,,,
Cost does not seem to shed much light either (pardon the play on words)

What is the most important thing to look for,,?

Lux, or Lumens, or Wattage ?

I want round 7" lights that turn night into day, ahead as well as to the sides (bad roo country)

So what is the most important criteria to be looking for, and in which order.

Nearly all that I've looked at seem to have differing ways of describing them,,,,, (a bit like trying to choose yogurt at the supermarket)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: LED drive lights (HELP)

Post by Lifesaride » 08 May 2018, 9:07 am

I think the best option is to go quality lights. I’ve got a cheap bar on my hilux and yeah it does the job but not great. The claims of most manufacturers are generally very very over stated and the light temperature (colour) can be pretty harsh on the eyes. A few people I’ve spoken to have turfed cheapies for stedi (I think it was) and are all very happy.
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 May 2018, 9:46 am

Die Judicii wrote:Alright, I gather that there is no set data that allows easy comparisons when looking to buy.
Some light sets say one thing, but seem to be contradicted by others,,,,,,,,
Cost does not seem to shed much light either (pardon the play on words)

What is the most important thing to look for,,?

Lux, or Lumens, or Wattage ?

I want round 7" lights that turn night into day, ahead as well as to the sides (bad roo country)

So what is the most important criteria to be looking for, and in which order.

Nearly all that I've looked at seem to have differing ways of describing them,,,,, (a bit like trying to choose yogurt at the supermarket)

Unsealed 4x4 magazine did a lot of testing.

https://unsealed4x4.com.au/round-led-dr ... omparison/
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 08 May 2018, 10:21 am

You get what you pay for, i've been spouted so much bulls**t in all the shops, and it is all very confusing, i tend to work in lumens because thats what i know from torches and stuff, i have about 7000 lumens on the front of the car in lights, mostly from my replacement led adr approved housings but i also have an ironman light bar which does jack compared to my high beams, i'd stick with a quality brand, china might get you heaps of light but its no good if its nor focused anywhere, great white, x-ray vision, stedi, light force all are good solid brands, i'm looking at a pair of stedi type x's if i can find a place to fit them on my bar
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 May 2018, 10:45 am

My experience; your mileage will likely differ...

For road use, avoid flood or diffusion LED lights. You want driving or spot lights. Flood lights produce lots of incredibly bright light near the car, but very little any distance further out.
[I think they call it 'Blooming'].
Flood/diffusion lights work great on machinery, but at 100 kph, you find you are outrunning the light.

Overall wattage isnt that useful in LED's; the wattage per emitter is more important. Pretty sure you can get 1w, 3w, 5w and 10w emitters these days, and most LED lights are made up of a mix of these.

Lumens is often mis-quoted, and plenty of suppliers actually quote 'Theoretical Lumens' (I know Sun-Yee does for some models).
As a (VERY rough) guide, a standard 100w halogen light punches out roughly 1700 lumens, but the size/shape of the reflector decides just how well that light is projected down the road. I've got some of the smaller Sun-Yee lights that are supposed to be at least 3500 lumens each, and they were worse than the vehicle lights.
The 18.9" Stedi Light bar I bought for the niece seems to be well made, and I'd guess it's punching out pretty close to the lumens Stedi promise.

Lux is possibly going to give more of an indication how far the light reaches (1 lux @ x metres)

Size of emitter(and their reflector) seems to make the most difference on how far LED lights will project. Best light projection seems to come from 5w or 10w emitters. The Sun-Yee lights I have here seem to be all 1w & 3w emitters, and the reflectors are tiny. Eye-watering lights in close, but couldnt see a roo 50 metres up the road.

From my experience, you want a good pool of light on the road a few hundred metres away. You want some light outside that, but not enough to overload signs. The Sun-Yee lightbars I bought in Feb are all "sign overload", and barely able to see a roo at 50 metres. The Stedi bar I bought my niece seems to be mostly light down the road, with a lesser amount out to the sides.
Also consider a combination of lights. Maybe a light bar for the pool down the road, and then a couple of smaller ones to project out to the sides? Reason is there arent many bars that can give that spread of light (I dont think the curved ones are going to work all that well for most people).
I dont have much experience with round LED lights; I'll be interested to see how they perform.

My best light setup is on my landcruiser ute. 2 Lightforce XGT Halogens providing the light down the road. 2 Cibie Oscar MX (small) halogens lighting up the shoulders of the road. And then two 6" Rigid light bars to provide close-in light; fanning out to roughly 45 degrees off the line of the road.
That car would have to be the best car I've used for driving at night; you dont get tired from trying to pick out the stationary roos all the time.
I'm in the process of changing over the Landcruiser wagon to soemthing better than the 2 tired Lightforce 240 Blitz halogens it currently has. If I can fit it in, I'm going a pair of Hella Rallye 4000 halogens for spots, and a 20" light bar sitting above them, which will do the road-shoulders and kamikaze attacks.

A final thought. Light temperature (colour) makes an impact on how well light penetrates dust and fog. Yellow lights are used in fog, as they penetrate further. We have both a halogen shooting spotlight, as well as an HID one. The halogen is much yellower, compared to the HID, but seems to penetrate further in dusty conditions. The HID seems to 'bloom' a lot more, and so you find any airborne dust gets lit up by the much brighter light, means you cant see as far in the same conditions.
LED bars are usually whiter than halogens, though elder brother thought he'd seen that someone (Lightforce?) were now offering LED lights with different colour temps, and you could pick both a halogen and an LED with very similar colour temps.

As I said; my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 May 2018, 11:06 am

Good write up rod....
Like a product testing article from Rods Outback Magazine...
More thab 2 cents worth there...! :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 May 2018, 12:02 pm

G'day Rod,
I have a similar setup on my Range Rover, 2 Lightforce XGT and 2 Cibie Super Oscars.
However, not being happy with the yellow light output, I converted them to Philips HID, 75W in the XGT and 50W in the Cibies.
I also upgraded the headlights to OPT7 LED, all in the 6500°K colour which seems to cut throught fog so well I've removed my fig lights altogether.
This setup gives me 1lux @1200m.
The lux explanation I was given is the ability to read newsprint at X metres.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 08 May 2018, 4:03 pm

I believe the ADR's (ADR13 I think it is) limits you to a max of four additional driving lights fitted.

Rod the six lights (by my count) you have on your vehicle would appear not comply with the regulations, I would suggest looking into it as you may end up getting a fine and probably a canary to boot..

Been a while since I looked at this stuff but that's my understanding.

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 May 2018, 5:53 pm

darwindingo,

Yes; from my reading of the ADR13 rules (last time I bothered), I expect 6 lights is considered too much. When I upgrade the wagon, I am working on limiting myself to a maximum of 4 lights.
I suspect the wagon will end up with 3 lights total(2 halogens and one bar), though ADR13 probably counts one large bar as a pair..

However, for the little driving the ute does on the highway these days, I will simply install a couple of solid covers over 2 of the lights, if I'm likely to be driving much on the road.
(Most of the time, it's prowling around the property here at night, with 2 shooting removable spotlights on it. When everything is lit up, it looks like a freaking carnival when it's coming up the road..). Great for spotlighting...

One thing I'm confused about.
I have seen bucketloads of utes with a pair of spotties down on the bullbar, and then a huge light-bar across the top bar (behind/above the cab).
From my last understanding of ADR13, I would have expected the bar on the top rail to be worthy of a fine if uncovered while on the highway, but Longreach has dozens of them parked in the main street!
I thought the highway-use lights had to be within a couple of feet of the horizontal line of the factory lights, and a maximum of 4 auxiliary driving lights.
There's no way light-bars or spotties up on the top are legal if they arent covered during highway use??

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 08 May 2018, 6:05 pm

[quote="Gaznazdiak"]G'day Rod,
I have a similar setup on my Range Rover, 2 Lightforce XGT and 2 Cibie Super Oscars.
However, not being happy with the yellow light output, I converted them to Philips HID, 75W in the XGT and 50W in the Cibies.
I also upgraded the headlights to OPT7 LED, all in the 6500°K colour which seems to cut throught fog so well I've removed my fig lights altogether.
This setup gives me 1lux @1200m.
The lux explanation I was given is the ability to read newsprint at X metres.[/quote]

When I did some horse-trading with elder brother, it seems I got a pair of Lightforce HID 55w upgrade kits, which should fit my Blitz 240 lights. There is also a pair of other HID upgrades there; look to be 35w ones, and I suspect they might fit into the Hella Rallye 4000 lights he also gave me.
At some stage, I might try setting them up to see what I've got.

Problem I have with the wagon, is the bullbar is too shallow, so the 240 blitz lights used to hang out in front(previous owner set them up).
Not going to be good when a roo impacts them.
The Rallye 4000 lights look like they might mount further back, and fit flush with the bar, so more protected.
Still figuring out what I'll do with the light setup; pretty set on the Rallye 4000's, but what additional close-in light I fit in addition, is still being nutted out.

Speaking of light colour. I've always seen that yellow light penetrates further(especially in dust), but the shooters tell me the HID shooting spotlight (much whiter) is easier to spot with. The beam of light doesnt seem to reach quite as far as the halogen, but they reckon the animals stand out better in the HID light, and eyes tend to glow more. As a result, there have been more cats suffered a severe pokking from the HID light, the past 5 years.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 08 May 2018, 6:23 pm

I've got the Bushranger Nighthawks on the front of the Rattler, 1 flood, 1 spot, small bar wired in to work with high beam (if turned on). The big bar on the roof can be switched independently as it's used more for up close ambient lighting when cleaning game or opening gates rather then actual driving. I'm happy with these so far , might not be the best but the price was right and I don't do a lot of off road nocturnal bush bashing. One thing not mentioned yet is the problem of using bright lights at night on road, the reflection from signs can be blinding.

IMG_4309.jpg
IMG_4309.jpg (159.43 KiB) Viewed 6047 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 08 May 2018, 7:29 pm

100_4799.JPG
100_4799.JPG (679.87 KiB) Viewed 6039 times
Rod_outbak wrote:
Problem I have with the wagon, is the bullbar is too shallow, so the 240 blitz lights used to hang out in front(previous owner set them up).
Not going to be good when a roo impacts them.

Hi Rod,
Praps you need a bar that has a little depth to it (see attached pic)
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 08 May 2018, 7:44 pm

THANKS to one and all for your input.

Now I have something with a bit of "gristle" to work on.
Where I drive at night mostly, I need good white light both up front and also to the sides.
I don't mind flaring up roadsigns, (although annoying) I just flick the lights down for the short while it takes to get past em.
(road signs never used to be that bad, somebody went overboard on safety)

I'm rather jealous of the ones my partner has on her vehicle, because they are the BEST damm lights I've ever driven behind.
They fulfill EVERYTHING that I need and then some.

Problem is I bought em for her off gumtree, and they don't have a brand or model on them anywhere to identify them.
They look identical to "KINGS" but as said, are not branded.
When she gets home I'll take a pic, and see what you blokes reckon.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Littlegem » 08 May 2018, 7:58 pm

Die Judicii wrote:THANKS to one and all for your input.

Now I have something with a bit of "gristle" to work on.
Where I drive at night mostly, I need good white light both up front and also to the sides.
I don't mind flaring up roadsigns, (although annoying) I just flick the lights down for the short while it takes to get past em.
(road signs never used to be that bad, somebody went overboard on safety)

I'm rather jealous of the ones my partner has on her vehicle, because they are the BEST damm lights I've ever driven behind.
They fulfill EVERYTHING that I need and then some.

Problem is I bought em for her off gumtree, and they don't have a brand or model on them anywhere to identify them.
They look identical to "KINGS" but as said, are not branded.
When she gets home I'll take a pic, and see what you blokes reckon.

Stay away from anything Kings, I Speak from experiance, I've tried more lights then I can poke a stick at and MY top picks are
Halogen- fyrlyt (9000) best lights by far to bad they where stolen after 1 month) and lightforce( 240s not bad for the price definitely cant complain)

LED lightbar- rigid industries and black oak, worth every penny but not cheap.

Only experience with HID I've had where a set of lightforce converted with a 55w kit and would stretch 1km+ down the road.
These are what I'd go with and my next setup will be another set of fyrlyt 9000 and 30" bkack oak bar. Led spotties are great offroad but onroad halogen or HID are really your only choice. But get the best you can afford anh extra light is good, even upgrading your headlights with a decent globe is a start
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 09 May 2018, 7:09 pm

100_4802.JPG
100_4802.JPG (584.63 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
100_4803.JPG
100_4803.JPG (425.78 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
100_4804.JPG
100_4804.JPG (490.78 KiB) Viewed 6002 times
Here are some pics of the lights on my partners vehicle.
Can any-one identify or name them ???
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 10 May 2018, 12:24 am

DJ Mate..

They look just like some I seen on a blokes rig the other day, he said they where OIMAX :unknown: or something like that ? Mounting brackets looked exactly the same as yours too.. Being unbranded as such they may be a generic brand (a name as you will job) / or even a "budget" version of a named brand aiming to expand their market share etc.. Potentially the same as their premium version :unknown: In any case they seem to do what you want from them mate.. That's what counts at the end of the day mate :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Mitch » 10 May 2018, 4:52 am

Get some lightforce htx
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jul 2018, 8:57 pm

Any-one got any experience with ,,,,,,

NARVA OFFROAD 4WD lights ????

220 mm round.

:unknown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 24 Nov 2018, 3:28 pm

I bought from opposite lock nitro leds for $ 1300. I will never buy cheap leds. I also bought 1300 dollar lightforce hybrids. Both sets are fine. I will always ignore the lumens ratings because from a retailer POV they are a great way to make performance sound a lot bet than the truth. Lux ( real intensity ) is what I look for. But from a marketing POV tons of people think 22000 lumens sounds better than 1 lux at 1800 metres
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Nov 2018, 11:53 am

Both of my young blokes have just bought the Kings LED's, for a cheap light they are extremely bright, throwing a good distance as well as lighting up the sides of the road, they are very well built with good strong mounts, I have a set of Narva HID's on my ute, they are good lights but the warming up time compared to the instant light of the LED's is the only downside.
Member-Deleted

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel