driving light fuses melting

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: driving light fuses melting

Post by Jon79 » 01 Aug 2018, 10:34 am

Ok seemed have fixed the melting fuse issue as no problems since putting in 30amp fuse but have now noticed that a wire coming from the relay has recently melted (see pic)

I followed it and it runs back to the driving lights (no fuses on that wire) when I turn the driving lights on it gets too hot to touch
Attachments
DC616C28-AC6A-4643-B92A-5A7D4EEEEDB3.jpeg
DC616C28-AC6A-4643-B92A-5A7D4EEEEDB3.jpeg (116.04 KiB) Viewed 9622 times
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: driving light fuses melting

Post by Gaznazdiak » 01 Aug 2018, 11:18 am

Jon79 wrote:Ok seemed have fixed the melting fuse issue as no problems since putting in 30amp fuse but have now noticed that a wire coming from the relay has recently melted (see pic)

I followed it and it runs back to the driving lights (no fuses on that wire) when I turn the driving lights on it gets too hot to touch

Before I changed to LED and HID I had 130w high beam, 2 100w XGTs and 2 130w Cibie Super Oscars and was having the same problem, so at the suggestion of the local auto-sparky I replaced my wiring and fuses with high amp stereo cables and fuses and that problem was solved, I was still killing batteries.
I've now replaced the incandescents with 55w LED in the headlights and 75w HID in both sets of driving lights and not only solved the huge draw but have more light than Las Vegas.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel