Fording rivers & creeks

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Fording rivers & creeks

Post by winton » 02 Jul 2018, 7:41 pm

FuzzyM wrote:
If you don't have breathers, you can let the diffs etc cool down while you walk the crossing, look around etc. The main issue is the cold water hitting your hot diff, gearbox etc, causing the air inside to cool rapidly, sucking water in as it contracts.

If you have no recovery gear, at least bring a long handle shovel.
I was stuck in the snow a couple of weeks ago, shovel came in handy.
Could have used the winch, but would have taken longer.

I recommend getting at least a basic recovery kit, if you are stuck and need help from a passer by, I consider it polite to use your own gear as snatch straps have a finite life.

Some awesome tips there. Thanks Fuzzy

In the winter time, how long do you reckon I ought to let the diffs cool down by?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 12 Jul 2018, 4:06 pm

Hey Guys
Is a snorkel one of the must have in fording creeks etc ? Kinda like an insurance policy incase you hit a hole?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Smiley » 12 Jul 2018, 5:38 pm

winton wrote:Hey Guys
Is a snorkel one of the must have in fording creeks etc ? Kinda like an insurance policy incase you hit a hole?

All depends on the depth, I'd recommend that you're intake be at least 1 foot above bow wave level.
A good snorkel is never a bad idea though. Some snorkels, particularly the older Cruiser ones, were a poor seal and therefore nothing more than a false sense of security.
Smiley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 14 Jul 2018, 9:31 pm

FuzzyM wrote:
winton wrote:Thanks guys
I'm sticking to the marked fording routes on the map. I know rooftop maps are generally good. (anyone have experience with Victorian topo maps?) Are most trouble often with unmarked fording or are marked fording on maps just as susceptible to trouble?

@Homer, great idea those Crocs. Already thinking about making it standard carry on my backpack.

I'd probably get a mob to install those piranha breather kits for my ute at a later date.

@tracks, Waders are another good idea. A bit heavy to carry though. I heard about an alosack waterproof zip log bag for rifle.

@Gaznazdiak, how deep did you expect the fording to be when you got stuck?

If you don't have breathers, you can let the diffs etc cool down while you walk the crossing, look around etc. The main issue is the cold water hitting your hot diff, gearbox etc, causing the air inside to cool rapidly, sucking water in as it contracts.

If you have no recovery gear, at least bring a long handle shovel.
I was stuck in the snow a couple of weeks ago, shovel came in handy.
Could have used the winch, but would have taken longer.

I recommend getting at least a basic recovery kit, if you are stuck and need help from a passer by, I consider it polite to use your own gear as snatch straps have a finite life.

Very good point, something many overlook, this also applies to trailer wheel bearings, I am in QLD now, but a few years ago lived in the NT, with the heat up there you would see people towing vans and other trailers, belting along then come to a water crossing/flooded section of road etc, and drive straight in, the result being the hot axle and hubs, rapidly cooling and sucking water into the hubs, along with the water bourn grit, result stuffed bearings within a short time.

Pull up, grab a beer (sorry force of habit, a Territory thing) drink or cupper, stretch the legs, check the crossing out, it only takes a couple of minutes for the gear to cool down enough to prevent water being sucked in.
Member-Deleted

Post by winton » 16 Jul 2018, 4:01 pm

Excellent tip Member-Deleted. Would you keep your engine running whilst you wait? does that make a difference?

Member-Deleted wrote: check the crossing out, it only takes a couple of minutes for the gear to cool down enough to prevent water being sucked in.

You wouldn't go in the water to check the crossing in the NT would you?

I've crossed the Daly a few times. Nothing over knee deep. Every single time I see crocs there.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 24 Jul 2018, 9:55 pm

winton wrote:Excellent tip Magnum. Would you keep your engine running whilst you wait? does that make a difference?

Member-Deleted wrote: check the crossing out, it only takes a couple of minutes for the gear to cool down enough to prevent water being sucked in.

You wouldn't go in the water to check the crossing in the NT would you?

I've crossed the Daly a few times. Nothing over knee deep. Every single time I see crocs there.

Re switching the motor off, it depends on how long you stop, I don't like to idle any longer than a few minutes.

I normally only enter water up there that is reasonable shallow and clear, but in saying that, sometimes this rule has to be broken.
Member-Deleted

Post by southwest shooter » 26 Jul 2018, 6:27 pm

Hold your can tight and gun it .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 05 Aug 2018, 1:56 pm

My intuition says that I should ford over it steady and slow.

Is this humour?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Aug 2018, 2:47 pm

winton wrote:My intuition says that I should ford over it steady and slow.

Is this humour?

Go with ya intuition! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Homer » 07 Aug 2018, 8:12 am

G'Day Fella's,

I was away bush recently, and undertook a few river crossings.
Here are some images for those that don't know what it looks like.

The Murray River at Tom Groggin;
DSCN2356.JPG
DSCN2356.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 5571 times

Swampy Plains River, going over............
DSCN2386.JPG
DSCN2386.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 5571 times

coming back.........
DSCN2388.JPG
DSCN2388.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 5571 times

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Bigjobss » 08 Aug 2018, 1:26 am

Pretty sure my mum did that crossing in her Toyota Corolla a couple years ago.
Bigjobss

Post by winton » 08 Aug 2018, 10:48 am

Nice pics Homer

Are these all marked fording spots?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Homer » 08 Aug 2018, 6:24 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Pretty sure my mum did that crossing in her Toyota Corolla a couple years ago.

Bigjobss, ya Mum may have done the Murray crossing in her Corolla......... but I doubt she got out of it?
DSCN2357.JPG
DSCN2357.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 5427 times

DSCN2359.JPG
DSCN2359.JPG (1.63 MiB) Viewed 5427 times

Yes Winton, but there is no access to them in Winter (From May?, until the October long weekend?), as there are locked gates, on the access tracks to them.

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Lorgar » 13 Aug 2018, 8:31 pm

Homer,

Are the 2 pics above Howqua by any chance?

Running Creek Camping Reserve?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Homer » 14 Aug 2018, 5:06 pm

No Lorgar, these are both in NSW (as tagged).

Regards
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel