Building a proper first aid kit

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by bladeracer » 25 Nov 2017, 6:14 pm

sungazer wrote:I haven't heard of the blood clotting stuff before. There is no way I would give it to someone though. You might cause them to have a stroke and die.

Clotting agents are absolute last resort, meaning your patient is definitely going to die from blood loss unless you can stop it. You would never throw it into a less-than-fatal wound.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Major General
Major General

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 26 Nov 2017, 12:02 am

Don't get quick clot its really bad, surgons hate the stuff and want it banned. The only thing close to that I would use and have used before is medical grade glue its not cheap. Super glue kinda does the same thing as medical glue so I have that in all my kits.

Match your kit to what you are doing and dont have anything in it you arnt trained or have researched how to use.

You want a snake bite kit you can buy them pre made but its cheaper to make your own and make sure you have a first aid book in every kit. You can get small ones and they are worth every penny. I still have the ones I was issued in the military and I've used them several times. Also keep in mind that you might be a first aid wiz but the person giving you first aid may not be.

As far as meds go you want stuff to help you s**t, stop you s**ting, meds to stop the stomac cramps, and pain killers you can see where I'm going with this. I also like to put small straws full of powder Gatorade in my kits as well.

Israeli Bandage/dressing are amazing as well but they arnt cheap.

Small torch and lighter in every kit :)
Zarrs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 27 Nov 2017, 9:26 am

Added a few I missed, good stuff :thumbsup:
Lorgar
Brigadier
Brigadier

Victoria

Post by Norton » 28 Nov 2017, 1:55 pm

sungazer wrote:I haven't heard of the blood clotting stuff before. There is no way I would give it to someone though. You might cause them to have a stroke and die. I agree with the comment on not doing something I didn't know how to do as well.

If you don't know anything about it how are you making the leap to it causing someone a stroke and killing them?

Tone down the drama a bit :lol:

You know you apply it to a wound, you're not injecting something into the bloodstream etc.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 28 Nov 2017, 2:18 pm

Yes you are correct I assumed it was a medication. Something to be taken orally as that would be suited to a first aid kit and would affect all the blood in your blood stream similar to warfrin just the opposite then making the leap to blood clots. So like i said I really don't know anything about it.
sungazer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Norton » 28 Nov 2017, 2:34 pm

Yeah it's applied externally :thumbsup:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gormanchov » 10 Dec 2017, 3:10 pm

The quick clot he’s talking about is the probably the bandage impregnated with kaolin, look up the videos on its use. Warning it’s pretty bloody but very impressive.
Gormanchov
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by holden4th » 10 Dec 2017, 5:23 pm

What you put in your First Aid kit should reflect both your experience and your knowledge. You also have to think about what you are legally able to do to another person, especially if that person is unconscious.

I was a paramedic at one stage and our first aid kits beggared belief. However, we were trained to use them effectively. Most people have only basic training and their kits should reflect this.

So what do we want to do with our kits. The majority of incidents involve bleeding of some kind and that can require something as simple as a bandaid or something larger to stem major blood flow. (BTW,this should almost never include a tourniquet - there is one excepetion here). Snake bite is another consideration and compression bandages should always be included.

Other bandages could include slings to help immobilise a compromised limb but yet again, you have to know how to use them.

Saline solution for washing out wounds (especially those involving eyes) is something that everyone can use.

As a first aider, is it really your responsibility to a remove foreign object with the likes of tweezers? (I saw forceps mentioned and shuddered) or should that be left to the medical professionals.

I saw clotting compounds mentioned. Unless you are a haemophiliac, your blood has it's own clotting compounds which respond to contact with air. Compressing the wound is the way to go and let nature take its course. This applies to arterial bleeds as well.

The best First Aid kit is knowledge! Make sure you keep up to date with current first aid procedures.
holden4th
Private
Private

Queensland

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation