Building a proper first aid kit

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by tom604 » 18 Dec 2017, 7:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lorgar wrote:My point being real s**t does actually happen. Not often, granted, but like every bit of safety gear in my truck I'd rather have it and never use it than not have it at all.

Yep, I'd rather have stuff I don't need than not have stuff I do need.

fully agree, but you cant carry everything when your going for a longish stroll, too heavy and you may not take it. the red cross makes a four wheel drive kit that with an addition of a couple of snake bite bandages will keep you alive till you get help (i have that one in the car at all times) if your going remote/alone a plb is a good thing to carry, even if it takes help too long to get to you they will at least find your body :unknown: :violin:
tom604
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Mitch » 19 Dec 2017, 4:10 am

This is all well and good, but do you know how to use everything properly. No use having stuff if you can't
Mitch
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Dec 2017, 3:11 pm

Mitch wrote:This is all well and good, but do you know how to use everything properly. No use having stuff if you can't

I disagree, even if you don't know how to use something "properly", it's still better to have it and muddle through than not have anything at all, and the person you are trying to help, or who is trying to help you, just might know how to use it better than you can anyway.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Major General
Major General

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 19 Dec 2017, 3:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Mitch wrote:This is all well and good, but do you know how to use everything properly. No use having stuff if you can't

I disagree, even if you don't know how to use something "properly", it's still better to have it and muddle through than not have anything at all, and the person you are trying to help, or who is trying to help you, just might know how to use it better than you can anyway.

Yep I'd rather be caught with it than without it!!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
We are The paint where there ain't supposed to be paint
Daddybang
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Dec 2017, 10:22 pm

There is definitely an argument for having stuff you don't know how to use yourself, albeit up to a limit. Here's some examples......

1. A tool kit. Just because you might no have a clue how to fix your car, the next person that drives past just might.

2. 4WD recovery gear. If I have to snatch you out, I'd rather the wear and tear to be on your gear than mine.

3. Some years ago my son had an accident and got his fingers trapped between a ladder and the frame on a makeshift jetty at a friend's shack on the river. One of the adults on site was a paramedic but didn't have a first aid kit on hand. I did........... Didn't save a trip to hospital, micro-surgery and physiotherapy but it made a difficult situation easier and reinforced to me the need to have a FAK readily available

Ohh and yes, I still can't get my head around a paramedic not having a first aid kit handy at all times. Strikes me as downright stoopid.
Bent Arrow
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 19 Dec 2017, 11:52 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:There is definitely an argument for having stuff you don't know how to use yourself, albeit up to a limit. Here's some examples......

1. A tool kit. Just because you might no have a clue how to fix your car, the next person that drives past just might.

2. 4WD recovery gear. If I have to snatch you out, I'd rather the wear and tear to be on your gear than mine.

3. Some years ago my son had an accident and got his fingers trapped between a ladder and the frame on a makeshift jetty at a friend's shack on the river. One of the adults on site was a paramedic but didn't have a first aid kit on hand. I did........... Didn't save a trip to hospital, micro-surgery and physiotherapy but it made a difficult situation easier and reinforced to me the need to have a FAK readily available

Ohh and yes, I still can't get my head around a paramedic not having a first aid kit handy at all times. Strikes me as downright stoopid.

Agree on all counts.. :thumbsup:

The several paramedic's I know live and breath it, I can't say I have ever seen them to be more than 10 feet away from a FAK, so I guess I'm a little surprised about that... Bloody lucky you had yours handy though :thumbsup: Hope your boys fingers are are as good as new :drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by grandadbushy » 20 Dec 2017, 1:28 am

I have a big one in my house , one in the hilux and one I take fishing wouldn't be without one also a small one I take
when I used to walk and hunt the scrubs
grandadbushy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Dec 2017, 7:07 pm

darwindingo wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:There is definitely an argument for having stuff you don't know how to use yourself, albeit up to a limit. Here's some examples......

Agree on all counts.. :thumbsup:

The several paramedic's I know live and breath it, I can't say I have ever seen them to be more than 10 feet away from a FAK, so I guess I'm a little surprised about that... Bloody lucky you had yours handy though :thumbsup: Hope your boys fingers are are as good as new :drinks:

Yeah, came as a bloody big surprise to me that a paramedic wouldn't be prepared.

My boy lost some flexibility and dexterity but its pretty good all things considered. The outcome could have been very, very much worse. We are counting our blessings really.
Bent Arrow
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation