Building a proper first aid kit

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by tom604 » 18 Dec 2017, 7:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Lorgar wrote:My point being real s**t does actually happen. Not often, granted, but like every bit of safety gear in my truck I'd rather have it and never use it than not have it at all.


Yep, I'd rather have stuff I don't need than not have stuff I do need.


fully agree, but you cant carry everything when your going for a longish stroll, too heavy and you may not take it. the red cross makes a four wheel drive kit that with an addition of a couple of snake bite bandages will keep you alive till you get help (i have that one in the car at all times) if your going remote/alone a plb is a good thing to carry, even if it takes help too long to get to you they will at least find your body :unknown: :violin:
User avatar
tom604
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1146
South Australia

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Mitch » 19 Dec 2017, 4:10 am

This is all well and good, but do you know how to use everything properly. No use having stuff if you can't
Mitch
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 227
Queensland

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by bladeracer » 19 Dec 2017, 3:11 pm

Mitch wrote:This is all well and good, but do you know how to use everything properly. No use having stuff if you can't


I disagree, even if you don't know how to use something "properly", it's still better to have it and muddle through than not have anything at all, and the person you are trying to help, or who is trying to help you, just might know how to use it better than you can anyway.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
General
General
 
Posts: 3794
Victoria

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Daddybang » 19 Dec 2017, 3:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Mitch wrote:This is all well and good, but do you know how to use everything properly. No use having stuff if you can't


I disagree, even if you don't know how to use something "properly", it's still better to have it and muddle through than not have anything at all, and the person you are trying to help, or who is trying to help you, just might know how to use it better than you can anyway.


Yep I'd rather be caught with it than without it!!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
We are The paint where there ain't supposed to be paint
Daddybang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1753
Queensland

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Bent Arrow » 19 Dec 2017, 10:22 pm

There is definitely an argument for having stuff you don't know how to use yourself, albeit up to a limit. Here's some examples......

1. A tool kit. Just because you might no have a clue how to fix your car, the next person that drives past just might.

2. 4WD recovery gear. If I have to snatch you out, I'd rather the wear and tear to be on your gear than mine.

3. Some years ago my son had an accident and got his fingers trapped between a ladder and the frame on a makeshift jetty at a friend's shack on the river. One of the adults on site was a paramedic but didn't have a first aid kit on hand. I did........... Didn't save a trip to hospital, micro-surgery and physiotherapy but it made a difficult situation easier and reinforced to me the need to have a FAK readily available

Ohh and yes, I still can't get my head around a paramedic not having a first aid kit handy at all times. Strikes me as downright stoopid.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 660
South Australia

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by darwindingo » 19 Dec 2017, 11:52 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:There is definitely an argument for having stuff you don't know how to use yourself, albeit up to a limit. Here's some examples......

1. A tool kit. Just because you might no have a clue how to fix your car, the next person that drives past just might.

2. 4WD recovery gear. If I have to snatch you out, I'd rather the wear and tear to be on your gear than mine.

3. Some years ago my son had an accident and got his fingers trapped between a ladder and the frame on a makeshift jetty at a friend's shack on the river. One of the adults on site was a paramedic but didn't have a first aid kit on hand. I did........... Didn't save a trip to hospital, micro-surgery and physiotherapy but it made a difficult situation easier and reinforced to me the need to have a FAK readily available

Ohh and yes, I still can't get my head around a paramedic not having a first aid kit handy at all times. Strikes me as downright stoopid.


Agree on all counts.. :thumbsup:

The several paramedic's I know live and breath it, I can't say I have ever seen them to be more than 10 feet away from a FAK, so I guess I'm a little surprised about that... Bloody lucky you had yours handy though :thumbsup: Hope your boys fingers are are as good as new :drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
User avatar
darwindingo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 798
-

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by grandadbushy » 20 Dec 2017, 1:28 am

I have a big one in my house , one in the hilux and one I take fishing wouldn't be without one also a small one I take
when I used to walk and hunt the scrubs
grandadbushy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 982
Queensland

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Dec 2017, 7:07 pm

darwindingo wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:There is definitely an argument for having stuff you don't know how to use yourself, albeit up to a limit. Here's some examples......

1. A tool kit. Just because you might no have a clue how to fix your car, the next person that drives past just might.

2. 4WD recovery gear. If I have to snatch you out, I'd rather the wear and tear to be on your gear than mine.

3. Some years ago my son had an accident and got his fingers trapped between a ladder and the frame on a makeshift jetty at a friend's shack on the river. One of the adults on site was a paramedic but didn't have a first aid kit on hand. I did........... Didn't save a trip to hospital, micro-surgery and physiotherapy but it made a difficult situation easier and reinforced to me the need to have a FAK readily available

Ohh and yes, I still can't get my head around a paramedic not having a first aid kit handy at all times. Strikes me as downright stoopid.


Agree on all counts.. :thumbsup:

The several paramedic's I know live and breath it, I can't say I have ever seen them to be more than 10 feet away from a FAK, so I guess I'm a little surprised about that... Bloody lucky you had yours handy though :thumbsup: Hope your boys fingers are are as good as new :drinks:



Yeah, came as a bloody big surprise to me that a paramedic wouldn't be prepared.

My boy lost some flexibility and dexterity but its pretty good all things considered. The outcome could have been very, very much worse. We are counting our blessings really.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 660
South Australia

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Homer » 30 Jan 2018, 9:26 am

Lorgar, my Fist Aid kit comprises a few Band Aids, a Compression bandage, a bottle of OP Rum and a .45.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 220
Australian Capital Territory

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Lorgar » 30 Jan 2018, 12:57 pm

tom604 wrote:fully agree, but you cant carry everything when your going for a longish stroll, too heavy and you may not take it. the red cross makes a four wheel drive kit that with an addition of a couple of snake bite bandages will keep you alive till you get help (i have that one in the car at all times) if your going remote/alone a plb is a good thing to carry, even if it takes help too long to get to you they will at least find your body :unknown: :violin:


My objective is to just have a comprehensive kit in the truck, it's not something I'd carry with me and I don't want a variety of kits for different purposes. Just want something solid available should the worst happen on a trip.

I have a PLB already too :thumbsup:
User avatar
Lorgar
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2343
Victoria

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Lorgar » 30 Jan 2018, 12:58 pm

Mitch wrote:This is all well and good, but do you know how to use everything properly. No use having stuff if you can't


Answered here already - viewtopic.php?f=70&t=9105&start=18#p147918
User avatar
Lorgar
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2343
Victoria

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Lorgar » 30 Jan 2018, 1:00 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:Ohh and yes, I still can't get my head around a paramedic not having a first aid kit handy at all times. Strikes me as downright stoopid.


That's a bit harsh. Just because he's a paramedic doesn't mean he has to shoulder everybody else's responsibility to take care of themselves.

If he's in a position to help, that's great, but people are responsible for their own well being. If you're not prepared, and you're reliant on others to take care of you, then you get what you get and have no right to complain IMO.

We don't expect tyre fitters to carry around spare tires and change them for everyone they pass just because they work in that industry, do we. If you puncture a tyre and end up stuck on the side of the road because you aren't carrying a spare that's on you.

Don't get me wrong, what happened to your son obviously sucks, I'm not pointing fingers or having a go at him or anyone else, but it's certainly not the paramedics fault, or his responsibility.

I'd be thankful he was there, not criticizing him for not having a kit on him.
Last edited by Lorgar on 30 Jan 2018, 2:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
Lorgar
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2343
Victoria

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Lorgar » 30 Jan 2018, 1:00 pm

Homer wrote:Lorgar, my Fist Aid kit comprises a few Band Aids, a Compression bandage, a bottle of OP Rum and a .45.


Rum! That's what my kit is missing :lol:
User avatar
Lorgar
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2343
Victoria

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Gamerancher » 30 Jan 2018, 1:45 pm

I recommend that everyone should do at least "basic" first aid training. Also, even if you have done one in the past, a refresher is always a good idea. A lot of techniques and practices change over time, ( CPR, stroke and snakebite treatment are ones that come to mind ), you need to keep up to date.
If you are even contemplating going somewhere "bush", where there 'aint help within 10 minutes it could save yours or a loved ones life. Most first aid coarses are relatively cheap and even more advanced ones aren't that expensive. Ask where you work, a lot of companies will pay for your first aid training. What price a life?
User avatar
Gamerancher
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1113
New South Wales

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Bent Arrow » 01 Feb 2018, 9:01 pm

Lorgar wrote:That's a bit harsh. Just because he's a paramedic doesn't mean he has to shoulder everybody else's responsibility to take care of themselves.

If he's in a position to help, that's great, but people are responsible for their own well being. If you're not prepared, and you're reliant on others to take care of you, then you get what you get and have no right to complain IMO.

We don't expect tyre fitters to carry around spare tires and change them for everyone they pass just because they work in that industry, do we. If you puncture a tyre and end up stuck on the side of the road because you aren't carrying a spare that's on you.

Don't get me wrong, what happened to your son obviously sucks, I'm not pointing fingers or having a go at him or anyone else, but it's certainly not the paramedics fault, or his responsibility.

I'd be thankful he was there, not criticizing him for not having a kit on him.


If you think so, thats fine....... In my opinion the particular circumstances make it very difficult to justify him not having a first aid kit... The paramedic was staying at his own, relatively remote shack on the river with his wife and two kids, and had invited several of his daughters friends (including my daughter) to stay overnight in celebration of his daughters birthday. The day after the sleep over, we drove out to pick up my daughter and the unfortunate accident occurred whilst we were there. I'd think that a paramedic that doesn't have a first aid kit in either of the two cars that he and his wife had used to drive the group of kids there, or have a kit in the dwelling is rather unusual. I'm not expecting a random stranger to be equipped to deal with an unfortunate set of circumstances. The paramedic had voluntarily taken charge of a group of young children on his property and in my opinion was inadequately prepared. Im not holding a grudge, and I don't blame him for the accident, but do think he should have had at least a basic first aid kit readily accessible. If you disagree then so be it
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 660
South Australia

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by grandadbushy » 01 Feb 2018, 9:58 pm

Up here in the north west we have a basic rule for taipan bite if bitten miles from anywhere you carry a 1m piece
of string place it on the ground stand over it with feet 1m apart then bend over as far as you can and kiss your
arse goodbye because you aint going to make it back

On a serious note I am a firm believer of first aid box's but it comes to a point of what do you want to prepare for
If you want a perfect aid box you would need a ute to carry it
I have been tied up with first aid in one way or another all my working life and the main things I find you need to control
aid in the bush are bleeds ,breaks, falls, bites ( snake ) and other, heat, cuts, sprains, and one a lot of people forget anything
to do with the eyes ie open pad for anything protruding from the eye, open pad is a circular pad split with a small hole for
the protruding objects
I dare say I have missed something but once you set out what you want to prepare for there are products available from
various places to accommodate your needs

cheers
grandadbushy
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 982
Queensland

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Daddybang » 02 Feb 2018, 6:48 am

A bit of knowledge about bush medicine doesn't hurt to have either. Lots of plants in this country that can be used. I wil add that ya don't ever use'em unless ya know what ya doing many plants can be helpful or harmful depending on how they're prepped and many plants that look similar can have very different effects. :thumbsup:
We are The paint where there ain't supposed to be paint
Daddybang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1753
Queensland

Re: Building a proper first aid kit

Post by Bigjobss » 02 Feb 2018, 2:50 pm

You are pretty much on the money granddad.
All you really need is a few items to keep you alive long enough to get help.
Whats going to kill you? Bleeding out, some sort of venom and the inability to evacuate (not talking about laxatives here) so breaks and sprains etc hindering mobility.
Wound management is a nice bonus and whilst an infection wont kill you in a couple days you dont want to cut a trip short because of a lack of hygeine.
Bigjobss
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 446
Victoria

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation