Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park, VIC

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Aug 2017, 10:11 am

I think dogs should be on a lead only in NPs. Trouble is there is always a few who would ignore that.
It's the other laws/fines that are too low.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4888
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Bigjobss » 02 Sep 2017, 11:00 am

So you can't take a dog into a National Park because it is a potential threat to the native fauna, BUT if you are in there legally targetting a game species you cannot shoot a wild dog if you come across one? Logic fail Victoria style.
Bigjobss
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 494
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Sep 2017, 12:06 pm

Bigjobss wrote:So you can't take a dog into a National Park because it is a potential threat to the native fauna, BUT if you are in there legally targetting a game species you cannot shoot a wild dog if you come across one? Logic fail Victoria style.


Same in Eildon State park. Can shoot sambar only.

But some how if a ranger hears your shot and finds a dead wild dog (not potential Dingo) at your feet, he isn't going to book you. And what are the odds?
Naturally if I was in there and saw a wild looking Mastif chewing on a possum or wallaby, I would pass up the shot! :?
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4888
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Bigjobss » 02 Sep 2017, 4:20 pm

100% agree OB.
I assume the regulations are more about managing legitamised hunting in the park in a mixed use zone whilst discouraging the standard yobbo that just wants to shoot up the joint.
Bigjobss
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 494
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Sep 2017, 4:52 pm

Bigjobss wrote:100% agree OB.
I assume the regulations are more about managing legitamised hunting in the park in a mixed use zone whilst discouraging the standard yobbo that just wants to shoot up the joint.


It was a no go zone for a fair few years. Then, I think the ADA managed to negotiate sambar hunting in about half of the park for the winter. Deer hunting is an exception to the normal rules.

So the status of the park is unchanged, therefore foxes, cats etc are off limits.

Sounds and is crazy but thats how it is. We are actually lucky to be able to hunt in there. Most states wouldn't allow it. Some sections of National Park are the same. Crazy but good system for us.
Just could be better for the park/enviroment of we could actively hunt ferals in there.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4888
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Bigjobss » 02 Sep 2017, 6:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:100% agree OB.
I assume the regulations are more about managing legitamised hunting in the park in a mixed use zone whilst discouraging the standard yobbo that just wants to shoot up the joint.


It was a no go zone for a fair few years. Then, I think the ADA managed to negotiate sambar hunting in about half of the park for the winter. Deer hunting is an exception to the normal rules.

So the status of the park is unchanged, therefore foxes, cats etc are off limits.

Sounds and is crazy but thats how it is. We are actually lucky to be able to hunt in there. Most states wouldn't allow it. Some sections of National Park are the same. Crazy but good system for us.
Just could be better for the park/enviroment of we could actively hunt ferals in there.


National parks are meant to be for the people arent they? Disregard the fairweather camper and hiker and the majority of people who want to use the parks in the winter months are hunters, who else would put up with sub zero conditions, mud, snow and limited daylight hours? Oh and we pay for licenses etc that others dont.

On that what exactly does the GMA do with my license fees? Sambar are a self managed vermin, why do I pay to hunt them?
Bigjobss
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 494
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Sep 2017, 7:31 pm

Correct, in most areas in NPs you only see hunters in winter. Don't forget there are tourist areas such as ski slopes. And hunting In those areas is not on.
I am inclined to agree that the "game" licence system is now out of date. Hang over from 120 years ago when the acclimatisation society was introducing them and the numbers were low. We only need open/closedseasons. So now it's just a way to take our money as little of it seems to be put back into hunting management. Hunting still needs to be managed though.

Edit. Maybe we need a "hunting/game licence" that allows us to hunt game and ferals in some NPs and SPs. Or the one we are now issued allow us to do that.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4888
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by southeast varmiter » 18 Mar 2018, 5:50 pm

If you’ve ever been stalked by wild dogs when hunting, you can see we the fines are there.
southeast varmiter
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 274
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by No1Mk3 » 18 Mar 2018, 11:25 pm

Are they really disproportionate though? Feral dogs and dogs-gone-wild (there IS a difference) cause major harm in National Parks, and the need to ensure compliance drives the severity of the penalty. Where I disagree with legislation is not being able to visit places if I keep the dog in the vehicle, and ran into that issue at Pink Lakes where we stopped for a photo. A Ranger arrived and told us to take the dog out of the park as he could not even be in the car. In this instance discretion not to fine was used, and I believe in 99% of cases this would happen but sadly 1% of Rangers who are power mad green wankers could stuff your day up badly. Answer is don't stop within the Park boundries unless your dog IS a guide/companion dog with papers to prove it. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 724
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by deye243 » 19 Mar 2018, 11:20 pm

yes it sounds crazy but at least we cans store and transport our rifles with the bolt where it belongs .... in the bloody rifle and brass aint a loaded round
User avatar
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 788
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by grandadbushy » 20 Mar 2018, 10:29 pm

Fines for taking a dog into a National Parks has eventuated from people continually taking no notice of signs saying
NO DOGS ALLOWED IN NATIONAL PARK and keep taking them in
You do get cranky rangers and good rangers but at the end of the day you may have driven past a no dogs allowed sign
bringing the worst out in them
You are lucky down south as we up north aren't allowed to even carry a gun in a NP let alone hunt in one or have a dog for that matter
in one
It does sound silly that you can't shoot feral animals in a NP but I think that is just put into the too hard basket as they do have their own
baiting and shooter programs
I wish we could hunt on and shoot ferals in our NP'S up here because there are plenty of properties owned by NP's riddled with pigs, scrubbers,
deer, dogs ,''treehuggers'',some fox, cats and the list goes on
The main reason they are there is , You guessed it people let them in, took them in or let them go wild and now we have Rules, Regulations, and fines
And I can't see that changing any time soon
Cheers
grandadbushy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1137
Queensland

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Lorgar » 23 Mar 2018, 1:56 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Are they really disproportionate though?


Did you read my comparative examples?

You can't possibly be suggesting this is proportionate compared to the examples of theft, drink driving, alcohol and other reckless, life endangering crimes I listed.

Lets add a few together...

"Drive a motor vehicle with BAC of 0.14 or more but less than 0.15g/100 ml" + "Driving 45km/h + over the limit" + "Failing to give way at a level crossing (to a train)"; Doing all three combined still carries less of a penalty than letting your dog out on a leash in a national park.

That is nothing short of utterly ridiculous. Period. Anyone who says otherwise (not pointing finger at you) is a complete fool.

My original post demonstrates pretty succinctly they are disproportionate.

No1Mk3 wrote:Where I disagree with legislation is not being able to visit places if I keep the dog in the vehicle, and ran into that issue at Pink Lakes where we stopped for a photo. A Ranger arrived and told us to take the dog out of the park as he could not even be in the car.


Well, under the current legislation he was right to move you along, however he was incorrect to say your dog was not allowed to be in the car, as previously quoted it is permitted if "the dog is confined in a vehicle that is in transit". Just to clear that up.

I agree visiting should be no issue though.
User avatar
Lorgar
Brigadier
Brigadier
 
Posts: 2347
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by on_one_wheel » 23 Mar 2018, 8:13 pm

The big problem is that some people's dogs are just plain stupid, aggressive, disobedient, un-teaibed or all 4.

Personally my dogs are trained well enough that leads are never necessary, they always follow comands instantly ... it's a shame so many people don't take the time to train dogs properly.
Gun control is hitting your target.
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 2069
South Australia

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by RoginaJack » 23 Mar 2018, 8:23 pm

:crazy:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1032
Queensland

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Daddybang » 23 Mar 2018, 8:35 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:The big problem is that some people's dogs are just plain stupid, aggressive, disobedient, un-teaibed or all 4.

Personally my dogs are trained well enough that leads are never necessary, they always follow comands instantly ... it's a shame so many people don't take the time to train dogs properly.



This▲▲▲▲
Every time I go camping I've got to chase other people's dogs out of my camp.
It pisses me off when mine are well trained but I still keep them on a rope run and other inconsiderate pricks just let theirs run amok!! :x :x :x :drinks:
We are The paint where there ain't supposed to be paint
Daddybang
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 1985
Queensland

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Mar 2018, 8:44 pm

I wonder if you have a tiny lap dog you get a discount?

What's the fine for cats, or panthers?
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 4888
Victoria

Re: Ridiculous penalty for taking dogs into a National Park,

Post by grandadbushy » 24 Mar 2018, 11:05 pm

Yes Daddybang, you are on the pin, we used to go to a camping area 50km from where I live and stay for 3-4 days fishing, there used to be about 15 local families together camped in one area most had pig dogs or dogs of some kind so the agreement was all dogs had to be on chains or in pig crates.

This was fine for years then a few other people started arriving and they also agreed to comply with tied up or locked up for their dogs

Then the council took over the camp and put toilets there (we all had our own portables).

Then came the rent collector for the camp they built him a humpy down one end of the camp area ,you had to drive past him to get in you couldn't get in if you didn't pay, so with him came two big mongrel dogs that terrorised the kids and fought with the dogs on the chains.

It went on for a couple of years then one of the new comers got fed up and let his four pig dogs off their chains whilst the rent collectors dogs were
hammering another blokes dog that was tied to his car '' Well that was the beginning of the end for dogs there''

The camp manager complained to the council about his dogs getting beat up'' I doubt whether he told the council about all the floggins his dogs had dished out to the other dogs on their chains'' but 3mths later a couple of us turned up for a two day stay and was confronted by two big mongrel dogs and 1.5x1.5m
council sign reading NO DOGS ALLOWED, $300 fine for any person found breaching the law, so there you go.
grandadbushy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 1137
Queensland

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation