Best chainsaw for camping

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Best chainsaw for camping

Post by deye243 » 08 Feb 2019, 8:12 pm

Mate that's criminal.... with the jugs its not really the quality its all in the port timing numbers they are always down on torque well that's what we find .
But we have to use what we have or can afford .
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by shovtel » 14 Feb 2019, 12:02 pm

We only have Stihls on the farm... 2 farm bosses, a mini farm boss and a new 661.

The 661 is a bloody powerful saw... you really have to have your wits about you with it. to be honest we really only use it for slabbing up logs on our mill.

The farm bosses are great. a new one and an old one. the old one feels like it was more power. nice saws.

but to be honest the mini boss which I think we paid $250/300 for is prob the "go to" saw for nearly everything. it would be nearly 10 years old now. still starts perfectly. runs perfect. nothing has ever broken on it etc... its light, easy to use etc... perfect for clearing fence lines, logs over fences, general gardening etc... great for cutting firewood too.

in my hunting group, 4 of my mates also have stihl mini boss's. i'll admit they are not used heaps but they still pull them out when needed to clear a fallen tree across a track and they start/run fine.

my next saw will be a battery saw to take away hunting... no fuel smell etc... in the car... batteries are good for 30/40 minutes. mega quick recharge times etc...
shovtel
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2019, 5:14 pm

deye243 wrote:Mate that's criminal.... with the jugs its not really the quality its all in the port timing numbers they are always down on torque well that's what we find .
But we have to use what we have or can afford .

I seen a Chinga "Husky 372" in action the other day at the wood cutting - 200psi and she went hard alright (obviously modded) running the chinga crank and I think a 394 carb from memory. :D

460cixy owns it, he will be able to tell ya more about it. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by deye243 » 14 Feb 2019, 8:22 pm

Yes the chinga 372 is a good one just change the car by for a
proper one walbro I think they are .......
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2019, 9:51 pm

deye243 wrote:Yes the chinga 372 is a good one just change the car by for a
proper one walbro I think they are .......

Yeah for what it cost it sure went fine. Only obvious diff was the sticker which said something like 372 petrol chainsaw :lol:

The MTM seems like a reasonable buy for the $$$ would be ok for a cheap camp saw I reckon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLj8jeDr_Pc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Fvtht7AcJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9LNeVHisa8
Last edited by bigfellascott on 14 Feb 2019, 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by deye243 » 14 Feb 2019, 10:17 pm

They look ok Scott
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Feb 2019, 10:24 pm

deye243 wrote:They look ok Scott

Good enough for anyone that needs a cheap camp saw hey, especially if that's all you'll ever use it for. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Post by deye243 » 14 Feb 2019, 10:55 pm

Yep 5or 6 times a year with half decent power
deye243
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Feb 2019, 7:04 pm

deye243 wrote:Yep 5or 6 times a year with half decent power

Yeah for the $$ I reckon it would be ideal for someone who only cuts a bit of wood hear and there, mind you that thing in the vids been getting a good solid workout and seems upto the job with a few minor mods to keep the dust out of the carb. Only gamble I see is whether you get a decent one or a crap one :D
bigfellascott
General
General

-

Previous

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation