Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jun 2019, 10:27 pm

Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
General
General
 
Posts: 5672
Victoria

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by wanneroo » 03 Jun 2019, 1:37 am

Nutnfancy on various light weight stoves for camping in the mountains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXpAhe-GAk
wanneroo
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 458
United States of America

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by Stix » 03 Jun 2019, 5:34 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:If you haven't seen a jetboil, you need to look them up best thing since sliced bread for boiling and cooking meal pouches up.

TassieTiger wrote:If your target place is 6 hours walk - it’s nice to be able to take 5 for a quick coffee without building a fire - and then the guilt of making sure it’s fully out before moving on...could take an hour to mess about or 7 mins with one of those special sticks and leaves turbo boilers...


Yep & yep...!!
I absolutely love a fire, as ive no doubt most of us here do, but there are times where a fire is just impractical, especially when time is at a premium...

I remember being up early with the old fella & heading off to check his traps--figured ill tag along for any cats/foxes in the traps & to have a squirt at any running bunnies with the shotty....

Being the old timer enthusiast he is, he insisted i didnt have the time to light a fire & boil the billy for a cuppa before we left...
His eyes popped open when he saw me downing my last mouthful of coffee & rinsing out the cup with the remaining hot water from the jetboil...all before he finished his morning movement & got his backside in the car...

And as for using firelighters for a quick fire to cook on, bought or home made--i got over petroleum/kero flavoured lamb chops the first & only time i ever tried them, well in excess of 25 yrs ago...!!

My jetboil & little box with coffee, tea, sugar & cuppasoup satchels & spare freezer bags is always in the back of my car if there's a chance it'll be needed.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Posts: 3116
South Australia

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jun 2019, 7:54 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I've seen one of those in action and they work very well, simple technology and it works, what's not to like other than the price some of em go for.


Definitely pricey for a billy can, but I figgured that it'll outlast me being stainless steel.

It boils water real fast. I can pull up, stuff it full of dry spinefex or a tumble weed, light it, feed it a few twigs down the from the top and have a hot cuppa in a jiffy .
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand.


on_one_wheel LIVES LEFT: 3..BONUS POINTS: 8

Did my post offend you? If you answered yes, send me a PM and I'll direct you to the nearest safe space.
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2468
South Australia

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jun 2019, 8:28 pm

Another angle for thought.
Ferment some water, nutrients, sugar and yeast in a 20L drum for about 4 weeks watch the S gravity fall to below 1 - keep at approx 24%.
Take THAT liquid with you into the bush and light a big fire.
Place a steel drum over fire with a large copper dome to catch vapor.
Pour in liquid to drum and slowly bring to 79 degrees and catch steam in dome.
Pump cold water over dome to turn steam back into liquid.
After approx 4 hours, take that 1 litre of liquid and use it in alcohol burner to boil your water for a cuppa.
Solved.
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2015
Tasmania

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Jun 2019, 11:12 am

TassieTiger wrote:Another angle for thought.
Ferment some water, nutrients, sugar and yeast in a 20L drum for about 4 weeks watch the S gravity fall to below 1 - keep at approx 24%.
Take THAT liquid with you into the bush and light a big fire.
Place a steel drum over fire with a large copper dome to catch vapor.
Pour in liquid to drum and slowly bring to 79 degrees and catch steam in dome.
Pump cold water over dome to turn steam back into liquid.
After approx 4 hours, take that 1 litre of liquid and use it in alcohol burner to boil your water for a cuppa.
Solved.


Hmmmm .... I to am a big fan of the tomato paste wash.

Dam fine neutral, you won't need a fire for warmth after drinking that "liquid"
images (6).jpeg
Just makin me some stove liquid
images (6).jpeg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 696 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand.


on_one_wheel LIVES LEFT: 3..BONUS POINTS: 8

Did my post offend you? If you answered yes, send me a PM and I'll direct you to the nearest safe space.
User avatar
on_one_wheel
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2468
South Australia

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jun 2019, 1:22 pm

Good ole TPW, run through a tuned boka = best I saw was 94.5% abv. Couldn’t ever quite get azetrope with my set up, but the liquid was the most crystal clear anything I’ve ever seen.
Mr popcorn Sutton if I recall - isn’t that a bloody story lol
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2015
Tasmania

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2019, 1:44 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Good ole TPW, run through a tuned boka = best I saw was 94.5% abv. Couldn’t ever quite get azetrope with my set up, but the liquid was the most crystal clear anything I’ve ever seen.
Mr popcorn Sutton if I recall - isn’t that a bloody story lol


Moonshine Royalty - too bad he topped himself hey :drinks:
User avatar
bigfellascott
General
General
 
Posts: 6207
-

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2019, 2:29 pm

User avatar
bigfellascott
General
General
 
Posts: 6207
-

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by Bruiser64 » 18 Jun 2019, 12:33 am

You can use an alcohol stove in an alpine environment. I have a Trangia which I have owned for nearly 30 years. The trick with them is to warm the filled burner up by having it close to your body. Trangia burners have a lid that you screw on to close, so there’s no risk of spillage. Otherwise you would look to use a liquid fuel stove like an MSR Whisperlite. I also own one of them. They work well, but are a bit more fiddling about to use than the Trangia. As I live in WA, there is zero ability to camp in an Alpine environment here, which is why I mainly use the Trangia these days.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 297
Western Australia

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by winton » 04 Jul 2019, 9:50 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:You can use an alcohol stove in an alpine environment. I have a Trangia which I have owned for nearly 30 years. The trick with them is to warm the filled burner up by having it close to your body. Trangia burners have a lid that you screw on to close, so there’s no risk of spillage. Otherwise you would look to use a liquid fuel stove like an MSR Whisperlite. I also own one of them. They work well, but are a bit more fiddling about to use than the Trangia. As I live in WA, there is zero ability to camp in an Alpine environment here, which is why I mainly use the Trangia these days.


A trangia brings we back to the good ol days. They are a little big for my own solo use nowadays.

Is the trick you are talking about is to ensure proper priming of the stove?

I use a converted beer can stove now. Was wondering how it would hold up in the Alpine enviro. Hasn't been tested.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 143
Victoria

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by albat » 05 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm

I reckon for the little bit of weight you save it's not worth stuffing around. Go the gas, I use a kovea moonwalker stove in the Victorian high country it allows you to invert the gas canister which makes the burner way hotter in sub zero conditions , also use 4 season gas and keep the gas cannister in your sleeping bag to keep it warm
albat
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 503
Queensland

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by RoginaJack » 26 Jul 2019, 8:40 pm

[quote="on_one_wheel"]+ 1 on the fire

I bought myself a new 1 litre Billy can from the SSAA magazine... best billy can I've ever had.

It's a ROYCE RIMFIRE Bush Kettle

...Thanks, I've been looking at this too and glad to see someone field tested one, so to speak....
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1287
Queensland

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by winton » 06 Aug 2019, 12:23 pm

albat wrote:I reckon for the little bit of weight you save it's not worth stuffing around. Go the gas,


Lots of overnighters have raved about the jetboil. Light, fast boil and in all sorts of conditions. No need for a wind screen

https://jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/sto ... m?id=12601
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 143
Victoria

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by Bruiser64 » 10 Aug 2019, 1:50 am

winton wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:You can use an alcohol stove in an alpine environment. I have a Trangia which I have owned for nearly 30 years. The trick with them is to warm the filled burner up by having it close to your body. Trangia burners have a lid that you screw on to close, so there’s no risk of spillage. Otherwise you would look to use a liquid fuel stove like an MSR Whisperlite. I also own one of them. They work well, but are a bit more fiddling about to use than the Trangia. As I live in WA, there is zero ability to camp in an Alpine environment here, which is why I mainly use the Trangia these days.


A trangia brings we back to the good ol days. They are a little big for my own solo use nowadays.

Is the trick you are talking about is to ensure proper priming of the stove?

I use a converted beer can stove now. Was wondering how it would hold up in the Alpine enviro. Hasn't been tested.


I think it is because the alcohol just won’t ignite easily if it is very cold. If you warm up the metho by having the burner next to your body, that addresses that issue.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 297
Western Australia

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by winton » 13 Aug 2019, 7:13 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
I think it is because the alcohol just won’t ignite easily if it is very cold. If you warm up the metho by having the burner next to your body, that addresses that issue.


Thanks for the reply. Thats good advice. I have figured a way to do the priming by using glass fibre string wrap around the outside of the stove which I will soak with alcohol and light to warm it up. Again, I have not tested it myself yet, but that is what the youtube suggestions are. They call it a cold weather wrap. It wasn't easy to get this glass fibre string. Had to get some from the states snail mail.

I'm going to investigate this jetboil and use the alcohol as a backup.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal
 
Posts: 143
Victoria

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by sungazer » 13 Aug 2019, 8:44 pm

One thing with the burners of that design you have pictured (at least previously) once the gas bottle is fitted it has to stay fitted. A reak pain for packing it up and carrying it in a pack. The primus one at the time was able to have the gas bottle removed without problem and made easy packing. They were more like the little Chinese stoves in the way the gas bottle fitted only they stood vertically

Both of these and all the LPG burners suffer.at high altitude and cold weather. The better stove is a shellite stove with some priming paste just like tooth paste but you put it in the little well around the top of the unit and set it al-lite, It both warms everything up but also creates a bit more pressure.
sungazer
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1887
Other

Previous

Back to top
 
Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation